flue clearances!!

Phil1884

Featured Posts

Hi all, so I have been increasing the size of the hole in my roof left by the builder so it can accomodate the insulated section of my flue kit. Now, the hole is quite close to the edge of the roof and I have just discovered a rather inconvenient batten running along where the roof meets the walls, this means I am going to have a clearance of only around 20 to 30 mm from the insulated flue to this batten whereas 60mm is normally the requirement.

removing this section of batten is going to be a real pain as it is used to secure wall and roof panels. So I am wondering if simply covering this batten in hardibaker or even super isol would be adequate protection? I'm nkt sure how hot these insulated flues get but I'm aware it's far less than a sjngle skin.

thoughta and suggestions most appreciated!

Phil

My uninsulated flue is about 40mm from a batten where it begins it's passage through the roof. Prior to

removing a square of the ceiling around the flue, the thin ceiling panel was only about 15mm from the flue.

I now have two thermometers attached to the flue - one just above the stove, and one at eye level. The eye level one never gets above 250C and, if it gets close to this, the heat in the lounge is almost unbearably hot. Most times its between 150C and 200C.

Ive had the boat over 3 years, and have used it a lot in winter months. No sign of any overheating in the wood or the insulation at ceiling level, although it does get hot to the touch at times.

I'd guess you'd have no issues with an insulated flue.

Edited by Richard10002