Identification Of Another Location, (Plus Ice Boat Detail Confirmed)

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

O.K. cheshire~rose's query about possible Python and Shropshire Union pictures got me delving in the same archives for a subject close to my heart, namely "Ice Boats"

I was fascinated to turn up these two pictures, claimed to be by C.N.Hadlow in the 1945/1946 winter,

v0_web.jpg

v0_web.jpg

The boat is undoubtedly "Large Northwich" "Renton", which, like our "Sickle" was a full length boat requisitioned by the Ministry of War Transport in 1942, and shortened and converted to an icebreaker.

All the other 4 boats converted at this time by the MOWT were "Middle Northwich" boats, and acquired a much larger ice ram, and the relatively modest affair fitted to Renton is what appears here

I'm tempted to think that the location is above Buckby locks, looking out towards Norton Junction, (in the picture that has the boat approaching). The presence of a maintenance yard seems right, and I think there may even be a distant sign on the other bank pointing to Leicester, (or am I guessing too much!) However I'm not convinced the prominent buildings look right.

What do the jury think, please? Norton Junction, or somewhere else?

What is particularly interesting about this picture, (to me, at least!), is that it has been suggested that the ice-breaking capability of these boats was enhanced by bolting removable baulks of timber along the hull sides, that further broke up the ice as the boat was rocked. "Sickle" has filled in holes that seem to support this, but in the picture of "Renton" moving away from the photographer the feature is very clearly visible.

The picture also seems to support the fact that Renton has its much smaller ice ram from the outset, and never, as some have suggested, carried the much bigger style. Why there were ever two very different variants though, remains a mystery!

If only the pictures were of "Sickle"sad.png

I wonder if they did a health and safety assessment on that :rolleyes:

nice old pictures :)

looks a bit like Yardley Gobion/Kingfisher marina but I don't know what was there before and if it had the proper stone edging like in the pictures

Yes Gayton Arm End with Charles Hadlow's house in the background of pic 1. I wonder which small woolwich is moored up? At a guess Archimedes - Capricorn wasn't on the section until 1951.

Note the baulks of timber fitted along the sides of Renton - was Sickle similarly fitted? I know Theophilus was.

Paul

Edited by Paul H

Well clearly I must bow to the experts that it is Gayton, but I'm struggling a bit to relate it to exactly how!

As I don't know where Charles Hadlow's house is / was, can you explain exactly which way we are looking in each picture please?

Down the arm in the first?

But then, assuming the second was in sequence just after the first, I'm unclear what I'm looking at.

No idea about the Woolwich boat, I'm safraid, but do you share my confidence it is "Renton", please, Paul?

I wonder if they did a health and safety assessment on that rolleyes.gif

The assessment was: "It's slippery - hold tight!" And they did.

Gayton.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/gayton+marina/@52.188858,-0.949038,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m5!1e2!3m3!1s59811102!2e1!3e10!4m2!3m1!1s0x48770f8b358527c5:0xb3dd280dbbe5b889?hl=en

Is that a steam dredger on the left looking towards the junction?

Edited by Derek R.