Rain seeping in on hatch runners

rubblequeen

Featured Posts

Wondered if anyone has any ideas as to how to stop the capillary action of rain water coming along the runners for the hatch (when closed) and then dripping into the cabin.

I have drilled some holes in the runners to try to break the process but with no success.

The hatch runners are made of perspex and the hatch is under the cover (if it's up) but of course the runners are out all the time.

Tony

Same problem with mine too, rain runs along the runners under the hatch and drips in. My sliding hatch is wood on steel - no brass runner strips.

I Had a similar problem. Brass runners on mine, I cured it 95% by running a bead of silicon across the brass runner at the nearest point to the hatch opening, but before the rollers hit it. The water runs down the runner and hits the silicon and rolls off to one side onto the roof.

I think my outside edge of my runners must be angled slightly down as I never have any problem with water coming in. I might have been lucky there as a friend with a boat from the same builder does have this problem.

Edit. I think a bread of silicone along the inside edge of each runner would work as long as the hatch can be modifed not to scrape it off.

Edited by blackrose

I have same problem.

Silicone might work I will look at that.

I was thinking of two wide strips say 4inches wide or more if needed. Lay them over the runners and attach, say with magnets to make the easily removed, them to the hatch. As hatch is opened the strips move back k and forth but when shut are covering the runners.

Rain will be kept off runners.