rolls batteries

londonron

Featured Posts

http://www.off-grid-europe.com/batteries/flooded-lead-acid/rolls-solar-battery/rolls-5000-series-12cs11-12v?

am thinking of getting these one. At least nobody will be able to steal it smile.png

Anyone have an opinion. What i like is the ability to just pop in a new cell.

If you getting more than 1, take a look at the 6 volt and 4 volt ones.

I have Rolls batts on the barge. They have been used for 4 years now and are still in good nick. They are expensive and will give you a hernia (!!) but are worth it. I got mine from CPC Batteries and they were delivered next day to Cornwall where we were at the time. There are data sheets on the Rolls site.

http://www.cpcbatteryservices.co.uk

http://www.rollsbattery.com

I have 2 of Rolls 530 / 4000 series / 6v cells.

First pair lasted 18 months then a cell in each failed completely. 1.1 sg.

Warranty replaced them so lets see how the new lot fare !

I think they were faulty but the Rolls man in Canada told me my float charge was too low. Other cells were about 12.6sg so it did look like a single failed cell in each 3.cell block, to me.

Edite typeo and a paragraph added

Edited by magnetman

I just looked at the Rolls site and got all excited that they have a battery which might just shoehorn into the available space (HT8D), then I looked online for UK sellers. £408, each. Given that I can get a set of three "leisure" batteries for £250, they'd have to be really good to be worth it.

MP.

I just looked at the Rolls site and got all excited that they have a battery which might just shoehorn into the available space (HT8D), then I looked online for UK sellers. £408, each. Given that I can get a set of three "leisure" batteries for £250, they'd have to be really good to be worth it.

They are, leisure batteries around 300 cycles to 50% Rolls 4000, 1280 cycles, Rolls 5000, 3200 cycles.

Also if.you are fitting a 50kg+ battery its worth being able to lift it mechanically. I use a cable winch to get mine out. 50kg is back injury territory, for me anyway.

With the 5000's you can remove each battery cell, so if it's a 6volt battery you can split the weight into 3 for "easy" moving.

Yes they are good on paper. But I suspect that in the very imperfect world of off grid boat use where the main charging source is ~£1 a litre diesel they might not be cost effective against generic "110 leisure" or T105 trojan types

Bearing in mind that the absorb charge still uses £diesel but is very slow.

Bearing in mind that the absorb charge still uses £diesel but is very slow.

It's slow on all batteries once it gets too 80% so I don't see the issue. You can go lower % with a better battery without the same damage so can space the charging further for the same battery capacity if you wished.

It's slow on all batteries once it gets too 80% so I don't see the issue. You can go lower % with a better battery without the same damage so can space the charging further for the same battery capacity if you wished.

The issue, I understand it, is if you rarely or never get much above 80%, which is likely for an off-grid live-aboard, the expensive batteries die just as fast as the cheap ones. Tolerating deep discharge is great, but that doesn't mean they'll tolerate lack of full charge any better. If you're stuck with a regime which will kill batteries quickly, it's much better to be killing cheap ones than expensive ones.

MP.

I think hammering cheap batteries with just bulk charge and no absorb is cost effective. kill the batts and replace regularly while saving money on diesel to pay for the new batts. Thats the point I was trying to make. Not sure if it works but I think it might. Big charger small bank like 100a for 440ah..the point about absorb is it is for battery life and not to keep the fridge going.

Obviously solar or daily cruising changes things a bit.

Yes MP thats it, ta :)

my situation is liveaboard who never runs his engine unless im moving. I have 600 watts of solar and even in winter will get lots of amps in. Last week they were still hitting "float charge" on my morningstar mppt controller and every afternoon they go from bulk to absorbtion charging. So all summer i wont touch the amps. in winter i may give the engine an hour or 2 each week just to give it a run (old lister jp3) and top up.

With the 80 percent thing i do have an unfitted adverc charge controller. Maybe its time i fitted that as well. Im sure my diesel will enjoy the extra load rather than running all but idle.So hopefully the 80 percent wont matter.

nice conversation guys, so often these things go off topic. Some very good points