A T&M question

muddywaters

Featured Posts

Anyone know a fairly safe place to leave a boat for a week between Great Haywood and Stone.

And also between Stoke and the Harecastle Tunnel.

Also if anyone fancy's a day helping out moving me from Great Haywood to Preston Brook or when I'm on the L&L with the swing bridges I will post the dates in the crew swop section when I have an idea of dates

Above the lock by Aston Marina is good, but not sure if there is a time limit. Of course there is always the marina if you don't mind paying. Not sure if I would want to leave a boat for a week between Stoke & the tunnel.

Hoping I won't have to do the second one between Stoke and the tunnel TBH.

But just in case I can't get the holidays I need from work when I want them

Between Stoke and the Harecastle I'd have no hesitation leaving the boat by Westport Lake - it's a lovely spot. I think it's only 48 hours though, so it depends how long you want to leave it (I'm guessing longer than that). The same goes for the moorings outside China Gardens by Festival Park Marina - again I think they're only 48 hours. There are other places in Stoke I'd stay, but not leave the boat.

Probably better to stop just before Stoke, in Barlaston - definitely a good place with 14 day moorings along the stretch between the Wedgewood bridge (104) and the Plume of Feathers pub at bridge 103.

I was thinking for between Great Haywood and Stone between bridges 88 and 89 just before Aston marina.

If all goes to plan will only need to leave it 5 or 6 days

Should be fine there, IMHO.

No guarantee expressed or implied, naturally ;)

Well it's a good thing I double checked or I would have been well and truly stuffed lol.

For someone who prides himself on his map reading that was a very silly mistake to make.

Looks like I will be going down the S&W then up the Shroppie instead.

Good thing I double checked the planned stoppages with my Pearsons guide lol

Between Stoke and the Harecastle I'd have no hesitation leaving the boat by Westport Lake - it's a lovely spot. I think it's only 48 hours though, so it depends how long you want to leave it (I'm guessing longer than that). The same goes for the moorings outside China Gardens by Festival Park Marina - again I think they're only 48 hours. There are other places in Stoke I'd stay, but not leave the boat.

Probably better to stop just before Stoke, in Barlaston - definitely a good place with 14 day moorings along the stretch between the Wedgewood bridge (104) and the Plume of Feathers pub at bridge 103.

I would not leave my boat in Barlaston - some of the local troublesome lads a bit further up don't mind walking.

stoke would have to be either Etruria museum, festival park or west port, the museum is manned in the day and has a few boats moored throughout the week so that would be my choice

Check this

When we were there in 2013 the Etruria museum was closed apart from a few weekends a year, yes there is the BW/CRT yard but that is only staffed as worker 'clock on' go off int their van and return in the evening. It was fine staying overnight but I am not sure about leaving the boat for 4-5 days.

Not going to get up the T&M before the stoppages so the new plan is down the S&W then up the Shroppie then back onto the T&M on the Middlewich Branch.

Hopefully will get to the Dutton stop lock after that stoppage has finished.

If I'm stuck there it is close enough to where I need to be, not to be a problem until it's open again.

Does anyone know if I'm likely to have any problems getting through the Bridgewater canal to the L&L.

Also I know there is or was one swing bridge at Leigh that was operated by a bridge keeper at one time.

Is it still ? and if so do you need to pre book a passage ?

Edited to add.

The bridgewater question is between the 6 and 14 November

Edited by muddywaters

I would not leave my boat in Barlaston - some of the local troublesome lads a bit further up don't mind walking.

Well we lived here for 3 months last winter, and left the boat for a few extended periods, with no problems.

I'm happy to take our chances.

I'd be more worried leaving it at Braunston.

Check this

When we were there in 2013 the Etruria museum was closed apart from a few weekends a year, yes there is the BW/CRT yard but that is only staffed as worker 'clock on' go off int their van and return in the evening. It was fine staying overnight but I am not sure about leaving the boat for 4-5 days.

ah right,

i see the staff in the morning on my ride to work and again on the way home so i assumed that they were there all day