Middlewich - Atherstone?

junior

Featured Posts

Probably not , but I wouldn't have slowed down that much anyway. If boats you're passing are tied up as they should be then isn't any need to slow down all that much . . . if they're not tied up in a decent fashion, then they won't be moored boats after you've gone by, and you know what, it might just make them think about doing a better job of tying up next time.

Slowing down past moored boats isn't just about not ripping them off the moorings. Show a bit of respect and you might be surprised what you get in return. Happy boating wink.png

It is quite easy to see why CRT wanted to prosecute him, even when they didn't really have something concrete with which to hang him. Better luck next time!

That's one of the daftest and most illogical remarks I've ever seen, considering that they were 'prosecuting' me as you call it for not moving around enough . . . it's hardly compatible with passing moored boats too fast is it. Anyway thanks for the kind thoughts, hope to see you tied up somewhere one day . . . I bet you're one of those who drape a couple of bits of rope from each end of your boat and then grumble at anyone that goes past.

Slowing down past moored boats isn't just about not ripping them off the moorings. Show a bit of respect and you might be surprised what you get in return. Happy boating wink.png

I'm never anything but happy when boating. I've always enjoyed looking behind me and seeing boats with broken bits of rope hanging from each end and drifting all over the cut after I've gone past.

That's one of the daftest and most illogical remarks I've ever seen, considering that they were 'prosecuting' me as you call it for not moving around enough . . . it's hardly compatible with passing moored boats too fast is it. Anyway thanks for the kind thoughts, hope to see you tied up somewhere one day . . . I bet you're one of those who drape a couple of bits of rope from each end of your boat and then grumble at anyone that goes past.

No actually I agree that boats should be tied up properly, however that presumes something solid to attach to. When on mooring stakes, whilst I suppose using multiple stakes to ensure security in soft ground is possible, it is not something folk do. And even with a well tied up boat it is bound to tilt and move around quite a bit with a boat passing at cruising speed, much more so if it is a deep drafted historic boat on a shallow canal. This is unpleasant for those on board. And of course it is quite possible that the moored boater is inexperienced and doesn't fully understand how to tie their boat up properly. It is not your place to cause them distress and maybe damage just to make your point.

Therefore compromise is as ever the way to go. No need to pass in neutral, and if you pass at a polite speed but still get a "Slow down!" shout then I agree the correct repost is "tie your boat up properly". However to pass at normal fast cruise speed is rude and inconsiderate.

One can only judge you by your posts, but in this context they were self-righteous, selfish, and lacking in consideration or compromise. That is the kind of behaviour that puts most people's backs up, so no wonder those you were dealing with at CRT were looking for weapons to use against you. Anyway, I believe you are an old codger so I have no doubt that your behaviour patterns are well entrenched and won't be modified by my opinion of them. You can however look forward to a miserable and lonely old age, and reincarnation as a mooring fender.

• Greenie 1

I'm never anything but happy when boating. I've always enjoyed looking behind me and seeing boats with broken bits of rope hanging from each end and drifting all over the cut after I've gone past.

To echo your previous sentiments - I hope to see you tied up somewhere one day tongue.png

To echo your previous sentiments - I hope to see you tied up somewhere one day tongue.png

I'm sure you will . . . according to Parry and some of the other goons at C&RT I'm always tied up just below Nottingham anyway . . , why don't you give them a call and see if they can tell you just where to find me.

No actually I agree that boats should be tied up properly, however that presumes something solid to attach to. When on mooring stakes, whilst I suppose using multiple stakes to ensure security in soft ground is possible, it is not something folk do. And even with a well tied up boat it is bound to tilt and move around quite a bit with a boat passing at cruising speed, much more so if it is a deep drafted historic boat on a shallow canal. This is unpleasant for those on board. And of course it is quite possible that the moored boater is inexperienced and doesn't fully understand how to tie their boat up properly. It is not your place to cause them distress and maybe damage just to make your point.

Therefore compromise is as ever the way to go. No need to pass in neutral, and if you pass at a polite speed but still get a "Slow down!" shout then I agree the correct repost is "tie your boat up properly". However to pass at normal fast cruise speed is rude and inconsiderate.

One can only judge you by your posts, but in this context they were self-righteous, selfish, and lacking in consideration or compromise. That is the kind of behaviour that puts most people's backs up, so no wonder those you were dealing with at CRT were looking for weapons to use against you. Anyway, I believe you are an old codger so I have no doubt that your behaviour patterns are well entrenched and won't be modified by my opinion of them. You can however look forward to a miserable and lonely old age, and reincarnation as a mooring fender.

It's not really going to be lonely is it? Surely not, with all those people whose boats I've bust loose complaining to me about it, and all the visits from the C&RT Enforcement Orifices . . . no, I don't think there's anything to worry about there.

Apparently there are a few trees down on the T&M so this mad dash might not go to plan.

You could always go via the Middlewich Branch, Shroppie, Wolverhampton, across Birmingham, down the Stratford, Hatton and on to Braunston. A few more locks but gets you to Braunston.

................ I'm always tied up just below Nottingham anyway . . , why don't you give them a call and see if they can tell you just where to find me.

Perhaps tied up in the Nottingham Court House and Gaol would be the best place for you biggrin.png

Apparently there are a few trees down on the T&M so this mad dash might not go to plan.

Looking at the stoppage list they are all north of Middlewich, so you should be ok.

If you are up against it on Sunday my offer still stands of giving you a hand through the Atherstone flight.