Anti-vandal Handcuff Key dimensions...

Black Country Lee

Featured Posts

There is actually a huge variation in the size of the square in the keys - they are a most imprecisely manufactured item, or at least many are.

When I tried to buy some on our summer expedition, (don't ask!), one place refused to sell me those that had just arrived from their supplier, because they were so poorly made, and none of thw "squares" actually were.

When I bought some at another outlet, they seemed rather better - until I discovered that the outside dimensions of the key were too large, and they would only actually go into about 50% of the AV locks on those more Northerly canals.

So don't assume because one is bought in a chandlers that it is actually much use! - The ones finished in a black finish often seem worse than the shiny ones.

A lot of hard work with a coarse file did eventually make one of the oversize ones work OK, but it would have been better were it the right dimensions in the first place!

Thanks Alan, I've had some very tight attempts with mine, luckily I'll be on the Dudley No.2 and these are fairly forgiving. Problem is I've got move a boat for someone this afternoon, he doesn't have one and I can't find mine so I was going to make me a spare one lol. Any idea on a rough dimension for the square itself?

Lee.

Any idea on a rough dimension for the square itself?

Not really, although I know there is one on one of our boats donated to me by Barry Adams of this forum, made from a standard socket on a bit of bar. Problem is I don't know what sized socket.

I would guess about 1/4" / 6mm, but guessing will not bea lot of use, if I am wrong!

If you have one of those small socket sets, the back of the sockets fits.

Yes, I made one using a reversed 1/4" socket and now have a ratchet screwdriver handcuff key, very useful on places like the HNC when a lot of turns are required to unlock and lock the paddles.

Thanks everyone, 5 minutes in the workshop and done! A long reach broken torx bit, a deep 1/4" socket and an old bit driver later and I have...

DB57157C-74EC-43A7-8920-D6B10A7B09BC_zps

A nice easy 'bodge' until I can sort my big tool box out where I think my genuine anti-vandal key is. At least I stand a chance of getting up the Delph 9 and the bottom lock at Brewers Green now :)

Thanks again folks :)

Lee.

We used a grandfather clock key for many years, that was (I am 99% certain) 1/4 inch square. I have seen troublesom kids using adapted socket drives, so again think 1/4 or 6mm sq.

Thanks everyone, 5 minutes in the workshop and done! A long reach broken torx bit, a deep 1/4" socket and an old bit driver later and I have...

DB57157C-74EC-43A7-8920-D6B10A7B09BC_zps

A nice easy 'bodge' until I can sort my big tool box out where I think my genuine anti-vandal key is. At least I stand a chance of getting up the Delph 9 and the bottom lock at Brewers Green now :)

Thanks again folks :)

Lee.

You could make a fortune selling these to vandals.