Mobile switching

Big John

Featured Posts

I've seen one or two people use their mobiles to switch their heating system on.

We have a Webasto aboard Epiphany with a timer that has 3 switch on positions, but only manual switch off.

It would be good if we could switch it on a couple of hours before we get to the boat.

I'd also like to be able to switch it on/off remotely according to the weather.

Has anyone done this?

I've seen SMS used to send commands to a laptop fitted with a data card.

The laptop was running X10 software, so it could potentially control anything.

Unfortunately the software was unstable and i lost count of the times the laptop crashed!

I wonder if anybody has got it working properly?

Hi John,

I install various types of access control sytems as part of our customers electric gate systems. I'm sure I've seen a device that contains a mobile sim that you can dial into, it reads the CLI of the incoming call and if the CLI its on the devices access list an output signal is generated (normally just a volt free contact). You could perhaps use something like that to control boat systems such as heating controls ?

Les

Hi all,

I am in the middle of doing just that. Trying to finish fitting my boat so I can live on it full time from March. I brought a kit from http://www.conrad-direct.co.uk/electronic/...control_via.sap which I hope will do the job. I started putting it together on Monday night, might even finish it over the weekend.

I have an Eberspacher D5W fitted (brought on eBay - great little bargin) which is now running from a 7 day timer via a 30A relay. I figured that I could use a second relay triggered by the mobile phone circuit to run the heating for an hour. I work about an hour from my boat, so calling home when I leave work should be perfect.

Also, unlike the SMS units, this one does not cost a bean. All you do is call the phone and then hang up. Slightly disturbingly it says on the packet that it could be triggered by wrong numbers or messages from your service provider, it reccomends that you don't use it to control Life Support Systems?!?!? Brings a whole new meaning to turning your phone off in a hospital.

Best of luck and I will let you know how I get on.

Richard

Richard

From what I read about this circuit, you need to leave a mobile phone on the boat, switched on permanently, with an active SIM card inside it. Without a SIM card, the mobile's display will not light up as it cannot detect a call coming in (ie: there is no phone number associated with the mobile in the absence of a SIM card). The circuit detects the display's lighting up, via a light-dependent resistor, and performs the switching function.

Also, any other person calling that mobile, be it a voice call, voicemail, data call, SMS or MMS will trigger the display and hence cause the heating to come on, so it may be prone to false triggering unless no-one ever calls that mobile's number.

Chris

Edited by chris w

I know that relying on the light may be slightly unreliable, but it was £11.99 not £250. I guess you get what you pay for. If I use a new sim card (PAYG) and an old mobile phone then nobody will know the number hence there should be less risk of a flase alarm. As I see it if the heating comes on unexpectedly once in a while I will not loose sleep. All I want is the ability to turn the heating on 1/2 an hour before I get home cause I work odd hours and therefore struggle to set a timmer acurately.

I did look quite hard for an SMS notifier cheap but could not find anything. Thought it would be good to notify of high bilge levels etc.

Anyway, I will let you all know how I get on.

I know that relying on the light may be slightly unreliable, but it was £11.99 not £250. I guess you get what you pay for. If I use a new sim card (PAYG) and an old mobile phone then nobody will know the number hence there should be less risk of a flase alarm. As I see it if the heating comes on unexpectedly once in a while I will not loose sleep. All I want is the ability to turn the heating on 1/2 an hour before I get home cause I work odd hours and therefore struggle to set a timmer acurately.

I did look quite hard for an SMS notifier cheap but could not find anything. Thought it would be good to notify of high bilge levels etc.

Anyway, I will let you all know how I get on.

Hi Richard,

Not knocking it at the price, which is excellent, but you got me looking further into something that would seem to be more reliable as I wouldn't mind remote control either. Also on my wish list is a bilge and boat monitor so I was pleased to find that piece of kit as I hadn't turned it up when I looked before. If it kills two birds with one stone it looks a little less expensive?

Let us know how you get on,

Cheers