Securing of the batteries for BSS

Featured Posts

My BSS is due next year so I'm getting around to some preliminary checks prior to this.

An area of concern is the securing of the batteries.

I've got 1 starter battery seated in a plastic box and 2 domestic batterys seated inside another plastic box with a large strap around both boxes.

The BSS specifies that the batteries must not be able to move more than 10mm in either direction. But with no fixing from the boxes to any other part of hull means the boxes could move of their own accord if enough force was applied.

So is this 'box & strap' method sufficient or does this require some sort of securing that's fixed to the hull ?

Edited by Bloomsberry

Your battery box's need to be fixed.

A simple way to achieve this is to get two 'loops' welded onto your counter, pass a small ratchet strap (the type sold by Halfords for securing bikes to racks) thru; the loops and around/over the battery box's, ratchet up tight. Jobs done, but easly removable for replacing batteries, checking water levels etc.

My BSS is due next year so I'm getting around to some preliminary checks prior to this.

I've got 1 starter battery seated in a plastic box and 2 domestic batterys seated inside another plastic box with a large strap around both boxes.

The BSS specifies that the batteries must not be able to move more than 10mm in either direction. But with no fixing from the boxes to any other part of hull means the boxes could move of their own accord if enough force was applied.

So is this 'box & strap' method sufficient or does this require some sort of securing that's fixed to the hull ?

You could glue the boxes down with something like this- http://www.sealantsonline.co.uk/product.php?product=CTI1710&category=00010022&utm_source=google&utm_medium=products

Remove the batteries before the inspection.

• Greenie 1

Thought as much. Strangely enough it was good enough for the BSS it was given when I bought the boat. Wonder what other areas don't quite conform.

Thanks for the replies, always appreciated

Had a boat that failed its BSS due to not having an RCD (Residual Current Device) but it had passed the previous 20 years 'worth' of BSS.

Fitted one and it passed.

I could however had failed it on 4 or 5 other things (all minor and non-critical) but required in the BSS - the surveyor didnt pick up on them - not even to say "they should be .............. but they are minor so I'm not worried"

I wouldnt want to buy a boat that he had surveyed.

Had a boat that failed its BSS due to not having an RCD (Residual Current Device) but it had passed the previous 20 years 'worth' of BSS.

Fitted one and it passed.

I could however had failed it on 4 or 5 other things (all minor and non-critical) but required in the BSS - the surveyor didnt pick up on them - not even to say "they should be .............. but they are minor so I'm not worried"

I wouldnt want to buy a boat that he had surveyed.

Surely he is just applying a commonsense approach to the BSS rather than the pedantic?

Phil

Surely he is just applying a commonsense approach to the BSS rather than the pedantic?

Phil

You could say that, but alternatively you could say 'if its in the BSS, then it should be checked and in accordance with the requirements'

Not having a 'label' saying "Master Switches Below" is not the end of the world, but having single core cable, cable tied to the gas pipes, and gas pipes with unsupported joints is maybe more important, and checking compliance is not being 'pedantic'.

Maybe the fact that the whole BSS took only 30 minutes is telling enough.

I have a starter and a leisure battery that are secured within strips of steel welded to the boat, so they can't move. I've added another leisure battery, this is currently free standing. I was wondering, if I secure the new leisure battery to the existing ones with a strong ratchet strap, would that be sufficient?