Lincoln to shardlow marina

kevinshaw

Featured Posts

http://canalplan.org.uk/ try this

Total distance is 70 miles, 5¼ furlongs and 15 locks. There is at least 1 small aqueduct or underbridge.

This is made up of 16 miles, 7¾ furlongs of broad canals; 8 miles of small rivers; 28 miles, 3¾ furlongs of large rivers; 17 miles, 1½ furlongs of tidal rivers; 8 broad locks; 7 large locks.

This will take 23 hours, 14 minutes which is 3 days, 2 hours and 14 minutes at 7 hours per day. For calculation purposes this is taken as 3 days.

Edited by justmeuk

Depends on how many hours a day you are prepared to do, and the tide times (dont forget you are on a Tidal river)

Probably allow 4 days

Lincoln to Cromwell lock

Cromwell lock to Gunthorpe

Gunthorpe to Meadow Lane (ish) / Beeston

Meadow Lane to Shardlow

Strongly recommended - LIFE JACKETS and SUITABLE SIZED ANCHOR

• Greenie 1

http://canalplan.org.uk/ try this

Total distance is 70 miles, 5¼ furlongs and 15 locks. There is at least 1 small aqueduct or underbridge.

This is made up of 16 miles, 7¾ furlongs of broad canals; 8 miles of small rivers; 28 miles, 3¾ furlongs of large rivers; 17 miles, 1½ furlongs of tidal rivers; 8 broad locks; 7 large locks.

This will take 23 hours, 14 minutes which is 3 days, 2 hours and 14 minutes at 7 hours per day. For calculation purposes this is taken as 3 days.[/size][/quote

wow that's amazing thankyou

Depends on how many hours a day you are prepared to do, and the tide times (dont forget you are on a Tidal river)

Probably allow 4 days

Lincoln to Cromwell lock

Cromwell lock to Gunthorpe

Gunthorpe to Meadow Lane (ish) / Beeston

Meadow Lane to Shardlow

Strongly recommended - LIFE JACKETS and SUITABLE SIZED ANCHOR

I will have all the safety gear required and thank you for the info

Is any of the trip hard to do or is it all plain sailing

It's all fairly easy given good weather and normal river levels and flows. Don't forget though this is a river and any rain will affect levels and flow rate.

You will need charts for the tidal stretch of the river from Torksey to Cromwell.

Don't be tempted to rush the trip. There are loads of places to stop. It will be a good trip to get to know your boat.

Is any of the trip hard to do or is it all plain sailing

Apart from the Trent where there are 'shallows' it is plain sailing.

Get the Trent charts that will show you the location of the 'sunken islands'.

Friends of ours got stuck on one of the 'sunken islands' and were there over 24 hours till the tide came back in and they could float off - fortunately the tide sizes were increasing and not falling.

Apart from the Trent where there are 'shallows' it is plain sailing.

Get the Trent charts that will show you the location of the 'sunken islands'.

Friends of ours got stuck on one of the 'sunken islands' and were there over 24 hours till the tide came back in and they could float off - fortunately the tide sizes were increasing and not falling.

your scaring me now i dont fancy getting stuck this will be my first trip ever if i buy the boat

Telephone the lockie at either Torksey or Cromwell for advice before going. They are most helpful. It is not a scary trip unless the river flow is very high, in which case you shouldn't be out there anyway. Scenery is good and the river is exhilarating!

Good luck with the boat. You will be using more engine revs than normal so ensure fuel filters are clean and no leaks.

your scaring me now i dont fancy getting stuck this will be my first trip ever if i buy the boat

I would suggest getting to know the boat on the Fossdyke for a couple of days first.

Make a weeks holiday of it. The first trip is supposed to be enjoyable, don't rush it and spoil it. The trip is easily manageable in a week which gives 9 days including 2 weekends with some relaxing days thrown in.

Scary is good - it makes you stay awake and focus on what you are doing.

I'm sure you wouldnt go walking in the mountains without a map, so why would you cruise without a map (as well as showing you the 'shallows' and which way to go around them, it shows you where the pubs are, where to moor, where to get water, where to empty the toilet and so on)

As NC says - its supposed to be fun - its a good sugestion to stay on the Fosse ditch for a day or two if its your first boat - that'll make sure that your engine will run for the necessary hours, and that it doesnt overheat etc.

Its all good learning / practice

How did the viewing of Harmony go?

hello

it went well micheal was a top honest guy

i rearly liked the look of it a nice layout and in very good conditiony

ive a few more to visit this next week then i may go for another viewing/ test drive the only thing putting me off at the minute is the distance back to derby

thankyou for the lead

cheers kev

Scary is good - it makes you stay awake and focus on what you are doing.

I'm sure you wouldnt go walking in the mountains without a map, so why would you cruise without a map (as well as showing you the 'shallows' and which way to go around them, it shows you where the pubs are, where to moor, where to get water, where to empty the toilet and so on)

As NC says - its supposed to be fun - its a good sugestion to stay on the Fosse ditch for a day or two if its your first boat - that'll make sure that your engine will run for the necessary hours, and that it doesnt overheat etc.

Its all good learning / practice

i drive a old vw camper van im allways scared

"the only thing putting me off at the minute is the distance back to derby"

Are you sure a boat is for you ?

The fact it is a few days cruise away should be taken as a 'positive' - it gives you chance to get to know your boat.

You dont have to do the trip in one go, you can break it down into 'manageable chunks' - maybe break it down into three weekend trips

Friday night - train from Derby to Lincoln, pick up boat

Saturday - Lincoln to Torksey Lock 2.5 hours, steady cruise, get used to the boat

Sunday - Torksey Lock to Newark, 22 miles - 7 hours (Train from Newark to Derby).

Friday night - train from Derby to Newark

Saturday - Newark to Gunthorpe Lock (5 hours)

Sunday - Gunthorpe Lock to Meadow Lane Lock, 4 hours (10 minute walk to Nottingham train station), back to Derby

Friday night - train to Nottingham

Saturday - Meadow Lane lock to Shardlow (6 hours)

Saturday night on the boat.

Sunday - play on the boat and home to Derby

Have you visited Lincon? Take your time stay on the boat overnight and give yourself time to know the engine, check water and oil (when were the fuel filters changed) Sample the bottom of the fuel tank to check for water and bugs in the fuel ( I use a wet vac and a thin pipe into a clear bottle). Fill the fuel tank. check fuses and alternator belts. Stay overnight in Torksey then in Newark treat it as a holiday and not a panic gallop. You will leave Torksey with the tide so look up the tide times. The Ripon boat club guide to theTrent and Ouse is a good guide. Have you good mooring ropes to use in the locks and windlases to operate the gate paddles. Buddy up with another boat when leaving Torksey.

Have you had the boat surveyed???

• Greenie 1

"the only thing putting me off at the minute is the distance back to derby"

Are you sure a boat is for you ?

The fact it is a few days cruise away should be taken as a 'positive' - it gives you chance to get to know your boat.

You dont have to do the trip in one go, you can break it down into 'manageable chunks' - maybe break it down into three weekend trips

Friday night - train from Derby to Lincoln, pick up boat

Saturday - Lincoln to Torksey Lock 2.5 hours, steady cruise, get used to the boat

Sunday - Torksey Lock to Newark, 22 miles - 7 hours (Train from Newark to Derby).

Friday night - train from Derby to Newark

Saturday - Newark to Gunthorpe Lock (5 hours)

Sunday - Gunthorpe Lock to Meadow Lane Lock, 4 hours (10 minute walk to Nottingham train station), back to Derby

Friday night - train to Nottingham

Saturday - Meadow Lane lock to Shardlow (6 hours)

Saturday night on the boat.

Sunday - play on the boat and home to Derby

my problem ive got at the moment is ive just had all summer off work {lucky me} now im back working in london and never know when im back home

ive no problem doing the trip or the time it takes its just when to fit it in

Edited by kevinshaw

It's all fairly easy given good weather and normal river levels and flows. Don't forget though this is a river and any rain will affect levels and flow rate.

You will need charts for the tidal stretch of the river from Torksey to Cromwell.

Don't be tempted to rush the trip. There are loads of places to stop. It will be a good trip to get to know your boat.

You don't really need charts - the sunken islands are clearly marked with large yellow notices on the bank telling you which side of the river to use

We did :

Lincoln to Torksey - a few hours leaving Lincoln in the afternoon.

Torksey (leaving lunch time) to Cromwell. Stopped on the moorings there.

Cromwell to Holme Lock (lots of moorings above the lock)

Holme Lock to Sharlow (0 mile post) stopping at Sawley lock to use the services.

The main thing is to check at Torksey about the tides - no point in getting there and finding you've missed the tide until the next day....

StephenA, on 07 Sept 2014 - 6:06 PM, said:

You don't really need charts - the sunken islands are clearly marked with large yellow notices on the bank telling you which side of the river to use

Not all are marked - particulary the 'developing' ones on the non-tidal part - done the River many times but still got caught out,

On a bend - thought the gearbox was in trouble,(grating, rumbling noise) it turned out that even tho we were 3/4 on the outside of the bend a sand bank was forming way across the middle of the river and we were rolling over gravel.

The charts do show the extent of the sunken islands - particular care should be taken around the Ski-club where the sand bank comes very close to the bank.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Indeed.

It really isnt wise to head out on the tidal part of the river without the relevant charts. Not all of the islands are marked and several of the larger shoals extend well out into the river, much further than one would imagine, especially in the upper reaches towards Cromwell.

It isnt uncommon to see boats aground as you cross Dunham Bridge, on the wrong side of the river rolleyes.gif