SR2, diesel in oil

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

Got an old air cooled Lister SR2 which is throwing a fairly large amnount of diesel into the sump - it's done it on and of for years and I know it's a normal Lister problem. I've checked the leak-off an that seems OK, I've put a new fuel pump on it (well, I haven't, but the man has) and it's still doing it. Any ideas as to what to try next?

In the past it has been the vibration working the injectors a bit loose, but the last engineer said they were fine... the whole engine was rebuilt a couple of years ago with new pistons, etc so it would be nice to stop this problem too.

Unburnt fuel can seep into the sump either by loose connection leaks (replace olives and fittings) or poor compression i.e. pump timing or faulty injectors. The engine oil is adulterrated by to fuel and will not protect the engine from wear, If the engine spends a lot of time on tickover accelerated wear can happen

Ahoy Arthur. Don't panic. First of all take the two valve covers off to see if there's any leakage at the injectors, their body, spill pipe connections and main fuel feed connections. You can run the engine to check this, it'll only spit a little oil about.

Secondly remove side injector pump side plate which is under the hot air outlet trunking. You will then see the rest of the other fuel pipe connections and injector pumps. You say you have renewed the fuel lift pump ? have you? as that can cause the problem.

However turn the engine over a little by hand until you can work the lift pumps lever full travel then pump it like mad by hand whilst watching with a torch the main fuel pipes, connections and banjo unions and injector pumps that are to be seen in there for fuel drips.

To get a more constant pressure there you can start the engine up with that side plate off and have a good butchers with a lamp. It will only spit a little oil out running it with the side plate off.