Suzie_q's Summer (sic) cruise

Suzie_q

Featured Posts

Fo a whole host of reasons our summer trip has only just begun.

We left Mercia Saturday lunchtime on our way to explore the Maccelsfield and Peak Forest canals.

While there was a bit of queing for the lock at Barton Turn we made the last available mooring in Alrewas by 6:30 by the grave yard.

We had forgotten all about the Art festival so it was nice to see all the quilted panels hanging from the bridges and in the gardens.

We set off on Sunday at 9:30 as we wanted to get to Ruggley before the shops closed, however we joined a queue at Bagnall Lock that by the time we got to Middle Lock at Fradley was 6 boats deep! Our thanks to the two volunteer lockies who kept things moving.

We made Ruggley visitors mooring (bridge 66) by 3:30 in the end so it was a mad dash round both Tesco's and Morrisons for a few bits. We then pushed on and moored at Wolseley Bridge (Bridge 70) at 5:30. Very pleasent moorings which is probably a good thing as we expect not to move today because of the weather.

Surprisingly seem to have ran out of leccy this morning, as inverter alarmed. Everyything reset ok once I started engine, but will worry about it now.sad.png

I will load pictures when I have a better connections.

Kev and Sue

So finally get a signal for long enough to add the next stage.

Firstly apologies to the Oatcake boat in Stoke for the nudge. The boat coming the other way said he was thinking to much about the oat cakes to make the corner.

Secondly passed Albion at Shugborough but no one in.

Had an hour wait at Harecastle as just missed a couple going through so did it on our own. I ducked way too much all the way through.

Now in Congleton at the station moorings but plan to be in Macclesfield tonight. Can recommend the hightown chippy. Bring on the Bosley locks today .

Friday has started badly. Spent over an hour this morning uploading photos re - sizing them and writing up an entry around them when we realised the water pump was still running from filling the kettle. Frantic searching through cupboards led to discovery of wet patch under pump.

After some fiddling sorted out small leak and turned everything on again.

Pump still running....

Seems hot water tank was refilling itself despite the fact that it was full and overflowing out of the boat.

More fiddling found black screw in valve which when screwed in stopped it over filling. Any idea's what it is?

In then end got back to tablet to find session timed out and all my hard work lost.

Off to get some fuel and will check with the boat yard what the black value is.

Ho hum...

If you are north of Macc the Trading Post at Braidbair boats is your best bet for fuel. The regular fuel boat that does that run (Brian on Alton) won't be running this weekend as he is out on the slip for some work on the boat.

Thanks for that. Filled up now and even got the preasure changed on the water pump for the price of a pint. Hopefully that will cure it.

So finally made it to buxworth in the steady drizzle which meant we were soaked. The peak forest has amazing views but most were obscured. It is also very narrow in places and a lot of moored boats which meant we didn't arrive till 7. More in the upper basin which is a bit close tot he road but we were so tired we didn't care.

Ironic that the guest ales at the navigation are Flipside brewery which is less than a mile from our house.

Returned to Kerridge in a lot nicer weather. Although we set off in the same heavy drizzle we arrived in the weather brightened up during the morning. It's amazing how much difference that makes.

The water pump seems to be behaving itself so we had plenty of hot water for showers.

Bollington around Clarence mill and the aqueduct was very pretty but there was no space by the time we came through. Off shortly to moor in Macclesfield for the treacle market and meet the grand kids.

It looks as if the Bosley flight problem should not affect us as hopefully they will get it sorted today.

I will get the pictures uploaded at some stage but they may have to wait till we are back home.

Appologies for delays in updates. Seemed to have spent more time off the boat than on it in the last few days. Had a very enjoyable day in Macclesfield with the grand kids on Sunday and exploring the Treacle Market. Will definatly come back next month.

Moved on and moored at Gurnett Aquaduct, very pleasent evening.

Monday we moved to Congleton Wharf. The Bosley flight took us 2:30 hrs again despite some help on the first three locks. Congleton Wharf does take advantage of its location, but this is the type of visitors moorings that makes you want to stay the full 48 hrs, unlike the Maccelsfield ones which either the rings have disappeared, the banks too shallow or the weeds have taken over. We liked Congleton Wharf so much and the info board had enough informaiton that we walked down into town on the Tuesday and spent most of the day there antique hunting. Can recommend the Victoria Mill Antique Centre.

On the Tuesday evening moved on to Scholar green for the evening. The Rising Sun is a nice country pub with a very good menu although we didn't eat there. Nice range of beers as well, Yorkshire Gold as a guest ale.

Wednesday was a trip down the last of the Macc and through the tunnel to stop at Middleport pottery. This pottery has been rescued by the Princes Restoration trust and has now started doing factory tours since July. There is off side moorings on the site, and we arrived just in time for the 2 pm tour.

It was fascinating to see hand made pottery and using the transfer printing design method. We were most impressed by the hand painting in the Poole pottery section and the hand piercing of the Leeds pottery creamware. Sue fell in love with the Leeds pottery so we had to buy some. The tour is well worth the £6 each, but be aware this is a proper factory tour, not a show tour like some others. It is dusty, noisey and up and down a lot of steps.

We moved onto the Caldon at just after 5 and had a late run to find a decent mooring. We ended up past bridge 18 in Milton. My Pearsons appears to say the moorings are before the bridge. They are a lot better after bridge 18.

Plan is to do the Leek branch today and then be back here tonight. We shall see as plans are not really part of this trip!!

Are you still in Stone Junior? we should be passing through tomorrow

I plan to be away at first light for a quick dash up to Trentham Lock so I can get another coat of paint on top of what I've done today. If I do the painting first I'm bound to keep touching it whilst doing the locks.

Will you be passing through Trentham as well tomorrow?

I plan to be away at first light for a quick dash up to Trentham Lock so I can get another coat of paint on top of what I've done today. If I do the painting first I'm bound to keep touching it whilst doing the locks.

Will you be passing through Trentham as well tomorrow?

Don't know, but we will keep an eye open and hand near the horn.