Reflex Heating Help

Featured Posts

Hi

Just started up the stove for the first time and it will not keep running, the silver lever keeps popping up. I think the heating pump us running as all three rads are warm. If I cool the thermostat the lever stays down. Can the thermostat fail and if so is it easy to get a replacement and change?

I'm in Shardlow now but was hoping to leave tommorow. Any help appreciated.

Pete

I would say it’s unlikely that the thermostat has failed. Without more information it’s a bit difficult to diagnose. Are you absolutely certain that the water is circulating around the whole of the system properly? It is possible that an airlock has developed over the summer and that the radiators are warm ( I note you say “warm” not “hot”) simply though convection from hotter parts of the system. If this is happening the water might well have exceeded the tripping temperature of 85 degrees at the point where the sensor is housed.

After a summer break (and I shall be doing this when I next go to the boat) I let the pump circulate the water, bleeding and radiators before I light the fire.

It could be that the thermostat is set too low. This can be adjusted fairly easily.

It could also be that the second overflow chamber is flooding and that the cut off lever is being tripped because of this. In which case it is probably a question of giving the regulator a good old clean. Actually, re-reading your post this seems unlikely.

The first thing to do, though, is to check the temperature of the pipes. Are there any cold spots? Are there any excessively hot spots?
Edited by koukouvagia