Attaching Chimney

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I've asked a few people about this already and am getting conflicting opinions, so thought I'd come here for a few more!!

Last year my 12" double skinned chimney was just slotted over the collar, but I had a right mess down the side of the boat.

I've now bought a taller one (in the hope of getting a better draw), but am wondering how best to attach it? I'll be filling the void in the chimey, probably with heat proof expanding foam or rockwool. But how to I actually fix the chimney in place? Some people say it should just slot onto the collar, others are saying fire cement or similar should be used.

Thanks

I've wrapped exhaust wrap around the inner skin on my chimney(s) and filled the void with fire retardant foam and not had any mess yet.

I have a 18" chimney in use when stationary and a 12" when moving. Just a push fit in both cases.

Does the inner skin actually fit inside the collar?

Edited by Ray T

steve_gts,

If your double skinned chimney is to prevent tar/gunge escaping down the roof/cabinside, you have to make sure that the inner liner of the chimney fits snugly inside the top of your flue.

It is essential that it does this.

If it doesn't sit inside your flue, or is loose, then I suggest you alter it so that it does.

(If you also insulate the space between your chimney outer skin, and the liner, that will also improve performance and updraught.)

I've only got a single skin chimney, but I have a screw through the witches hat into the chimney to stop it blowing off in high winds, and I have a screw through the base of the chimney into the collar to be on the safe side.

Easy enough to remove the screw and chimney for low bridges.... Of which there are few/none on the Bridgewater.

Thanks all, from what you've said, I suspect it's the inner lining which caused the problems, I'll investigate. I'm formulating a plan involving a cutter and exhaust lagging. If both the inner and outer are a nice snug fit it should both solve the problem and only come off when I want it to.