Gearbox woes...

Featured Posts

Following on from my intro post I was wondering if anyone was familiar with Kingfisher engines and boxes?? We seem to have the hens teeth of running gear in my friends boat :(

Sunday is D-Day as I'm off to remove the offending gearbox and bring it back for investigatory surgery on Monday. I'll keep you all posted with pics once I get it back. Where would be the best place to post these pics???

Following on from my intro post I was wondering if anyone was familiar with Kingfisher engines and boxes?? We seem to have the hens teeth of running gear in my friends boat sad.png

Sunday is D-Day as I'm off to remove the offending gearbox and bring it back for investigatory surgery on Monday. I'll keep you all posted with pics once I get it back. Where would be the best place to post these pics???

RLWP of this parish is your man for gear boxes.

Very knowledgeable and helpful.

Two cylinder Chinese engine with an unpronounceable yellow gearbox? If so, I think I have a manual for one somewhere

Richard

Thanks Richard, it's not the 2 cylinder (KD26) model, it appears this is the KD8 (single cylinder, horizontally mounted) engine with the 038 manual gearbox from my investigations.

Lee.

Yes it has a silencer fitted so I'm going to use an off the shelf box. I am going to re-route it slightly to make it a little quiter and able to sit on rubbers all the way back. The original tailpipe was welded into the stern holding it rigid which, I believe, partially led to the failure.

If you have the ability to take a gearbox apart I expect you know that bearings should be available from Bearing Services Ltd or many other places so you don`t need to get an original part. Good luck.

I'm off to pick up the bearing in the morning so should have the gearbox cleaned, back together and ready for painting by Wednesday morning. Picking up exhaust bits tomorrow too ready for some Wednesday welding lol. Thank you for your kind wishes Bee :)

Edited by Black Country Lee

Just a quick update - the gearbox is all reassembled. After a good clean, greasing and fresh oil it all appears, by hand anyway, to be functioning as it should be. The gear selector cable mount has been altered so it's in line now.

Made a start on the zorst but the need for a shower and a cider took priority. Got some work on tomorrow but hopefully I can get a bit more done on the zorst when I get back :)

Lee.

Sounds like fun!

Most boxes are dead simple.

I am going to have to pull my velvet drive apart at some point, more for inspection than repair. The worst part of that job is the cost of parts. The Borg Warner stuff is mega expensive.

Result on a Duff bearing, take some time getting everything lined up. That one pot shouldn't tax that box :-)