Calorifier positioning

DeanS

Featured Posts

My engine water pipes come out the engine on the same side as the battery bank/inverter etc. I have just enough space to place the calorifier in, next to these items. ... (quite a tightish fit....perhaps 15cm gap all around between the outer foam of the calorifier and the casing of the invertor, edge of the battery box etc ?)

Do you see any major issues having all the "gear", batts, invertor, isolators, positioned together on one side, so I can keep the other side of the engine bay for storage etc.

The calorifier may of course get hot.....cause condensation etc, but no more than a running engine might, surely?

It would prevent me having to extend the engine pipework onto the other side as well.

Another question is...

Could I take 15mm piping from the boats water pipework...directly to the in/out on the calorifier....it has a seperate outlet for pressure/overflow .

...and....later....if I connect the 2nd ring...to a radiator circuit...what size piping would I take from the ring....into the boat....to all the rads....and would plastic do.

3 questions...looking for 3 answers.....

ta.

Hi Dean,

My old boat had 15mm to the calorifier for the engine circuit all in plastic. My new boat however has 22mm all plastic the calorifier is under the steps in the cabin just in front of the engine for me it is the best place but I do have two large full traction battery banks so even though I like you have a widebeam space is tight

I also noted that you have the inverter in the engine bay I had some problems with mine when it was in the engine bay condensation been the main one.

Peter

If the calorifier gets hot externally then put more lagging on it! You'll have hot water for longer then. My only concern would be if the calorifier gets a leak and sprays on to the inverter, perhaps you could separate them by using some ply so if it does happen the inverter won't get directly hit.

hmmm....interesting :)

It has about an inch of foam around it...seems quite thick...

Can I ask another silly question. It is a 12gallon calorifier....which I think is imperial gallons...so about 54litres....If I had to run the engine in winter....lets say 2hrs in the late afternoon...and assume the water in the calorifier was ambient temp....(cold)...how long would it take to heat it up so you'd get a hot shower...and how long would a family be able to shower for before 54litres went cold again :)

I'd use the 2hrs to charge batts, and use the engine heat to dry clothes. Although I'm in a marina now, and use shorepower etc, I like to know my boat is CC-ready at all times through summer and winter. Also...if we had to moor and run a gennie on the towpath in some out of the way place...for the washing machine etc....how long would using a gennie-immersion heater create hot water... I currently use gas heating, but when rads are installed, I see us beginning to use the calorifier for multiple uses perhaps.

My water gets hot very quickly when the engine is running, say about 30minutes. You could take a shower when running engine so it heats up as you run the water off. Only time and observation will tell how long the hot water stays hot for. You could also fit a second calorifier to give you more hot water if you can find room for it.

Fred

• Greenie 1