Fenland Stoppage

Phil Ambrose

Featured Posts

Arggh! Another year we are unlikely to get there. Despite having the boat at fish and duck until the end of September.

Last year the vee gate on the side of the marina wouldn't open fully preventing us getting to Judes ferry.

Thanks for the heads up, my Dad and brother may be heading that way.

On a side note, why the hell does it take 3 weeks to replace a bearing on a very simple mechanism?

Yeah that's what we asked given that they spent 5 weeks working on the lock earlier this year, a lot of boats stuck upstream of the lock.

Phil

I suppose its nothing compared to the fiasco of network rail and the broadland swing bridges.... :-)

As an engineer i find itvery embarrassing to think we once were the workshop of the world, and now it takes 3 bloody weeks to mend a sluice gate!

I may fire a stroppy mail to Ivan Forbes, not that it will make any odds other than adding to the rest of the fan mail he must get!

I bet the stuck boats are well pleased!

Edited by gazza

Anoother update,

Isleham lock will be open on 15th to allow trapped boats through under EA supervision and then will be closed for some weeks till repairs can be made. It seems the chains supporting the guillotine gate need to be replaced and these are made to order.

So first it was a bearing, now its the chains..

Hmm, I wonder why this wasn't picked up on the yearly LOLER inspection. Chains do not suddenly wear out.

Not impressed at all :-(

Exactly our feelings, and considering they had the whole lock structure covered in scaffold for a couple of months earlier this year. The lock itself never sees more than 50 movements a week and very rarely in winter.

Phil

Exactly our feelings, and considering they had the whole lock structure covered in scaffold for a couple of months earlier this year. The lock itself never sees more than 50 movements a week and very rarely in winter.

Phil

Maybe the ea have decided the broadland network rail model is a good one to work to.

Edited by gazza

Trouble is, the guys on the ground suffer for the incompetent planks managing the show.

I hear plans for the 1st Alwalton river nene cricket match are well advanced. Due to the lack of dredging this exciting game can now take place.

We can marvel at the spotless lock furniture up and down the Nene, all steelwork and caping stones immaculately painted whilst stuck hard on the shoals that are getting bigger by the week.

Still, money invested in beauty projects must give a higher return than providing safe and reliable navigation?

• 4 weeks later...

I am pondering doing the Lark next weekend, and would be grateful to know if Isleham lock is now open and working again?

Many thanks

Lock is still U/S but at the moment if you wish to make passage ytou can phone and EA will come along and "see" you through, phone Mervyn Day is best bet.

Phil

Its about 2 miles from the junction with the Ouse to Prickwillow, hours cruise there and back out the way....

Yes, thanks.

[i am pondering whether to go there for Sunday lunch (the museum opens at 12), before we go back to Ely, and put people on various trains home.]

Yes, thanks.

[i am pondering whether to go there for Sunday lunch (the museum opens at 12), before we go back to Ely, and put people on various trains home.]

Sounds like a plan!

We are back home on the Nene now, have to wait till 2015 for Jude's ferry and the pumping museum.