Genny v solar

bigcol

Featured Posts

We run our washing machine off the solar panels (400 watts in 4 panels currently) The Candy washer has a setting for 'use whatever comes from the tap' so no heater involved. Washer draws only about 260W so is easy off our 1500W inverter on a sunny day. (It's all very well having big inverters but can the engine/alternater keep up with demand?)

We use the genny only in winter and the engine about once every two weeks for an hour to go get water and empty tanks.

Without the solar our batteries would be run low every night - shortening their life.

Without the solar we would have double the petrol bill

Without the solar we would be lugging the generator on and off the boat every day, all year AND listening to the thrumming of the thing not to mention annoying neighbours

Without the solar we would be polluting twice as much as we currently do.

Solar panels need no servicing, no oil changes, no carrying about, no worrying about whether they'll start. We could also go and buy an extra panel at any time and make ourselves even more smug about our (semi) free electric.

Oh and I forgot - we are big users and 100% off grid with an electric fridge, all the gadgets and we hardly ever give our battery levels a thought for about 5/6 months of the year they are always above 12.2V

The less we rely on generators the better and it's just so easy with a bit of thought. One thing I can't help with is the hair dryer! only use during the winter?

Ditto for me

Peter

I only fitted these panels the other day and only just got both my 400ah banks up to 100% charged and the one on the inverter never drops below 12.90v and the other on the 12v side is nearly always charged 100%.

By 11am this morning I had both 400ah banks fully charged after watching the tv all night leaving it on when I fell asleep and the fridge on 24 7.

Hi ya Julynian, yes, that's exactly what they are, (read my previous post for my crappie description). You could Double up on the Hinges, by mounting one on the Inside of the Frame, & one on the Outside of the Frame on each side so 4 brackets per panel (Sandwiching the Frame in effect) 'Maybe'!.

Hi Paul

I managed to source some DG window hinges today from the glaziers skip, the biggest I could get were 12 inch which were affixed to medium sized openers 3f/t x 2/f/t,

However I don't think they'll be up to the job even using 3 per panel. My panels end width is 655mm and if I fit a centre one I'll need to also fit a support rail for it too not only to the panel but to the box, more time/money hassle.

Can I ask what size window hinges you have used. I do realise those are 12v panels and quite light.

I have found out you can buy these up to 24" long. I reckon around 16 inch would suffice for our panels as it would attach to over 65% of the panels edge, they're cheap too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fire-Egress-Escape-Easy-Easi-Clean-Window-Hinges-UPVC-Side-Hung-Friction-Stays-/121275948923?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item1c3c9c1f7b

Bearing in mind my panels are 18 kilos each. I do like the idea of the locking mechanism so if friction is a bit iffy due to weight, at least I can lock the panel at any angle I choose from flat to 90%