Featured Posts

Hello!

I'm currently researching a project collecting oral histories from people who worked, lived or know about Harland and Woolfs Woolwich site. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything of any interest or could help at all? All the information I can find is very vague and mainly focus' on Belfast.

Feel free to reply to this post any information is better than none!

Thanks in advance,

Georgia

Hello!

I'm currently researching a project collecting oral histories from people who worked, lived or know about Harland and Woolfs Woolwich site. I was just wondering if anyone knows anything of any interest or could help at all? All the information I can find is very vague and mainly focus' on Belfast.

Feel free to reply to this post any information is better than none!

Thanks in advance,

Georgia

Georgia,

First of all spell the name correctly, it is Harland & Wolff.

The yard in E16 was one of many satellite yards H&W operated, the largest in London, others smaller yards were at London Docks, Surrey docks, Millwall docks, King George dock & Tilbury.

Elsewhere outside of Belfast and London other major yards were at Govan in Glasgow, Bootle in Liverpool and Southampton.

The "North Woolwich" yard in E16 was a huge affair, but nothing remains to be seen, "Bargehouse rd" gives you the western former perimeter and "Galleons gardens" indicate where Gallions point was (where many hulls were launched).

The factory gates are now located as an exhibit in Lyle park, a little to the east just past Silvertown, quite why they are there is a bit of a mystery.

You can always try Harland & Wolff directly the contact I had is : David McVeigh, davidmc@Harland-wolff.com

They seem to sometimes like anything that isn't a "Titanic" related enquiry.

Its probably true that more H&W boats survive on our canals than anywhere else! A fact they seem to overlook.

Compare Tim's shot with this from fifty sixty years ago:

DockscroppedSmall_zpsfad86c40.jpg

In the foreground (boxed) stood the complex of Harland and Wolff with their main offices in the triangular building.

At the farthest end of the dock - King George V dock, they also had a dry dock facility. But it was from the former set of sheds and waterfront that many GUCC boats were built and launched.