Front cratch A frame

b0atman

Featured Posts

When money has been saved I am going to make or have made a front cratch A frame .I have noticed that there is a vast difference of top width from equal to gunnels width down to about 10 inches .

What are opinions on best width .

yes will have top plank height above roof line is easy to judge based on roof bits already there and I will have wood across width of boat to fasten cover to.

I always suggest a top width of between 300mm & 350mm (12 to 14 inches) anything less than that seems to look mean and wrong to my eye. I also suggest a top plank 150mm (6") wide and fit it behind the top of the board rather than on top of it.

This makes the cover drape nicely. I think its a mistake to make the top plank the same width as the top of the cratch board. I also prefer to see the cratch board fitted vertical when compared to the water line or leaning very slightly forward.

Glazing beads will last longer and look better on the inside face out of the weather.

Just to cover the final hobby horse- I always put one, or sometimes as many as three, grooves in the top face of the top plank to take the wiring for lights and horn. It beats that piece of plastic trunking or cable clips so often seen.

I differ too in that I think more like 600mm to 700mm is better. Depends on the boat but wider means more space :)

I also think a wider top looks a lot better. On some boats but not all.

Probably comes down to personal preference in the end. Look at a lot of boat pictures