Our Holiday

Featured Posts

We are not new to narrow boats and have had 3 canal holidays. "The Cheshire Ring", "The Four Counties Ring", and a "there and back"on the Leeds and Liverpool. These have always been done with a couple of friends but this year we are going on our own. We are stating from "The Canal Cruising Company" in Stone and hope to go south to Great Haywood, Then on to Fradley Junction, then onto Curdwoth then Gas Street Birmingham then through to Wolverhampton then back to Stone via the Staffs and Worcs and Trent and Mersey. Canal Plan says this is 95 Miles and 91 locks which is similar to the Cheshire ring. My questions are 1. Is it possible to do in a week (9th to 16 the August) with only 2 of us, and 2 is it OK to overnight in Gas Street . Your help please

Not so sure about the week bit, there are some big flights of locks on that route. As for Gas Street Basin it is a great place to moor, very safe, lots of restaurants around, some spots a bit noisy to moor but there are quieter places near the NIA (I Thinks that's the right name) or on Holiday Wharf opposite The Cube

Should be possible, we left Mercia Marina on Saturday morning,then travelled to, Fradley junction, Cudworth, Gas St, Wolvehampton, back up Staffs and Worcester to Great Haywood, and down to Fradley then Back to Mercia the following Saturday. Some days were 6 hours, some were 8 hours cruising. This was mid June.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

we did it!! yes there was some long days and yes I did get a bit wet last Sunday but it was a truly amazing holiday and a truly amazing route. From sleepy Staffs countryside to the centre of urban Birmingaham and then back to Stone. Thoroughly recomend gas street basin as an overnight stop.Birmingham has really embraced the canals.

• Greenie 1

Well done and pleased you enjoyed it. the great thing about the BCN is that it tends to be quiet even when the popular canals are very busy. thanks for coming back on to say how it went, I often wonder how people get on after they have asked for tips.