Gas fittings?

Featured Posts

Surely that is the bottom of a ring, not the gas inlet pipe? Or is it the silvery thing with the plastic bung nearly touching the worktop cutout? Surely that isn't the inlet pipe?

Edited by nicknorman

Or is it the silvery thing with the plastic bung nearly touching the worktop cutout? Surely that isn't the inlet pipe?

I suspect it is. Looks remarkably like the inlet connection on that last gas appliance I fitted, Cut to convenient length and use a compression fitting.

MP.

Surely that is the bottom of a ring, not the gas inlet pipe? Or is it the silvery thing with the plastic bung nearly touching the worktop cutout? Surely that isn't the inlet pipe?

Yes it is. As I suggested it would probably be earlier in the thread, it's 8mm galvanised plain steel pipe judging from the photo.

Use an ordinary Wade compression fitting (straight coupling or an elbow) to connect it to rigid 5/16" imperial copper gas pipe. The two pipe sizes are virtually identical (differing by 0.002" IIRC) and fully compatible with imperial compression fittings.

MtB

P.S. Forget the armoured flexible hose I suggested earlier, this isn't necessary. I'd use rigid 5/15" copper if I were you.

Yes it is. As I suggested it would probably be earlier in the thread, it's 8mm galvanised plain steel pipe judging from the photo.

MtB

Just seems odd to have a long and unsupported pipe - looks very vulnerable. I would have expected a solidly attached fitting.

Use an ordinary Wade compression fitting (straight coupling or an elbow) to connect it to rigid 5/16" imperial copper gas pipe. The two pipe sizes are virtually identical (differing by 0.002" IIRC) and fully compatible with imperial compression fittings.

MtB

P.S. Forget the armoured flexible hose I suggested earlier, this isn't necessary. I'd use rigid 5/15" copper if I were you.

Is 5/15" also known as micro bore ?

Many thanks.

Just seems odd to have a long and unsupported pipe - looks very vulnerable. I would have expected a solidly attached fitting.

yep that's the connection pipe and I must say to anyone who is thinking about using Dometic or Smev type appliances for caravans in a domestic worktop not to bother as fitting it in is a major pain in the ass!!

5/16 or 8mm pipe should have a 0.8mm wall thickness to meet relevant standards, and most if not all 'microbore' on sale can be a lot thinner than that.

Short lengths of thicker wall pipe aren't so easily available, but there's the odd supplier doing it by the metre, eg:

http://www.chandleryworld.co.uk/catalogue/copper-gas-pipe-imperial_p0-2008.html (look for the 20swg wall thickness, not 22 swg)

http://www.socal.co.uk/toolbox/installation-components/copper-pipe/5-16-malleable-soft-copper-pipe-single-metre.html (phone up to check but should be OK)

Some large chandlers will do copper pipe in that size, I'd have a close look to make it thick enough.

If you feel it's going to be a pain to do, best look up the gas safe website and ideally personal recommendations too, get a couple of quotes from gas bods with the relevant boats ticket, should be fairly routine for someone doing it day in day out. smile.png

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete