Removing a pump out

Theo

Featured Posts

Early on we decided that Theodora's lavatorial arrangements are not as we would like! We have decided to take the portapotti route (Now that statement can lead to some entertaining exchanges, I am sure!)

I am sure that the obviously sensible thing to do first is to have it pumped out and thoroughly rinsed out. What then? How is the tank fastened down? how heavy is the empty tank likely to be?

BTW is there a send hand market in pump out loos? It is really in very good condition and could be fitted in a more convenient way, I am sure.

Nick.

I am shortly about to do the same thing. Mine appears to be held in place by wooden battens screwed to the floor. They are pretty heavy with the toilet attached, so I guess that it will be a good idea to remove this first.

As far as S/H value is concerned, they should theoreticly be worth something, but I know someone who has about five in his yard, left there by people who could not sell them, so I wouldn't hold out much hope. Personally I intend to keep mine at home, in case the new owners want it when I eventually sell the boat.

Edited by David Schweizer

Hi. I've removed mine to make a compost toilet. I gave the bowl to someone who has planted bulbs in it! I've kept the wooden seat for my new set-up as some poor rainforest surrendered it and it should be re-used. The waste tank rises about 25cm up from the floor, so you may find that's ok to place your porta-potti on, or you may need a step! If you are going to cut into or remove part of the tank, get it properly cleaned before you go cutting any pipes - which is what I didn't do!

Can I first say that getting it pumped out IS NOT ENOUGH!!! I'd never used the pump-out toilet on my boat, but even after pump-out, there is a layer of ..er sludge at the bottom of the tank. It don't smell, but I know what it is (gulp) and that I have to tackle it very soon. Before I could stop him, the pump-out guy had poured 'blue' into the tank, which I then spent a merry afternoon trying to siphon off.

The ceramic bowl was held in place by 4 bolts onto the tank. First I had to stop the water pipe that fed the flush. This was just a matter of cutting the pipe and putting a stop on the end. Once the bowl was gone, I was left with a hole that is big enough to get a hand in, but not big enough to pass a jug through, so it's worth asking to have the tanks pressure washed several times before you dismantle it all.

I've measured an area to be cut out of the top of the tank to fit my new loo system. That's supposed to be happening this weekend - huuray! I've got all the other parts ready, including the sawdust, so it's bombs away next week, with any luck!

......... so it's bombs away next week, with any luck!

Er,

That's a bit to graphic a description of toilet use for my sensitive tastes, Carrie, thank you !......

But back to Nick's original question....

I'm sure I'm teaching grandmother to suck eggs, but presumably you have dismantled anything covering it enough to know it's a separately removeable tank, (rather than just an integral part of the boat, as many are, of course...)

I'm also kind of assuming you also already know what material it is. Obviously a metal one it going to weigh more than one in some kind of plastic or GRP.

Sorry - on reflection it does look a bit like I'm just saying the bleedin' obvious.....

Alan

I know of a bloke who wanted to remove his pump out and replace with a porta pottie. Because the tank was integral, he asked what to do with it. Somebody told him to fill it full of concrete, which he did and that's why the boat has a permanent list now.

By the way this is the same bloke who called the AA out to his boat in Manchester twice, and who tried to ride down the bannister on HMS Bronington and got his knee stuck between it and the cabin side.