Too thick paint....

Featured Posts

Hi all.

Looking to buy another boat.

I've found one that will suit me but the only problem with it ,is someone has painted it and the paint looks to be far too thick.

Looks to be one or two thick coats instead of several thin coats

As a temporary tidy up job (can't afford a repaint just yet ) could the paint be sanded back a bit to make it look more respectable?

Many thanks. K...

If the paint's sanded back, then it will look dull. You could spend a happy day using progressively finer grades, then trying to polish it; or sand back to flat (ie not completely removed, but flat) and re-paint with a couple of coats and choose your own colour etc.

Hi all.

I've found one that will suit me but the only problem with it ,is someone has painted it and the paint looks to be far too thick.

As a temporary tidy up job (can't afford a repaint just yet ) could the paint be sanded back a bit to make it look more respectable?

Many thanks. K...

Having done a small bit of painting on my boat, because the roof was covered in EERRMM car filler, I would say leave it well alone until you can afford to get someone professional to paint it for you. I think the amount of work involved in sanding what you have back and then bringing it back up to a shine will be huge. The other advantage to waiting is that if it isn't done right by a professional painter then it's his responsibility to put it right, I would have thought.

having said that there are a couple of boat painting videos on You Tube that might help.

Pete

I'd wait until you can take it all off and repaint it. But do it in sections if it's a DIY job unless you can afford to have it done profesionally.

Badly applied thick paint presents no problem as long as it's not peeling off and rusting underneath. It's just not aesthetically pleasing.

If the paint job has been done as a cover-up, it's less likely the prep work would have been done thoroughly. it will begin to peel, in time. It's very difficult to know wether the paint job can be trusted. Flatting and painting over it will not help, if it hasn't been prepped properly. Whatever is applied over the cover job will be reliant on previous weak prep work. Wasted work.

Edited by Higgs

Hi all.

Many thanks. K...

No. It will make it look worse.

MtB