mooring S Oxford Thrupp - Kidlington

Detling

Featured Posts

I would say Thrupp on towpath adjacent to mine road Thrupp itself seems to be a private canal area totally disgusted with power that has been given to the local group.

I would say Thrupp on towpath adjacent to mine road Thrupp itself seems to be a private canal area totally disgusted with power that has been given to the local group.

Last year, I would have agreed with you, however on our last pass through (June), I noticed a rash of visitor moorings - just after the (whatsit) Lane permanent moorings; some by the Jolly Boatmen pub and a couple before the overnight moorings in Thrupp itself. All of which were within an easy stagger of The Bus Stop.

These were underpopulated in June, as were some of the TTTCC moorings.

Clubs (amongst boaters generally) are avoided - but has anyone ever considered approaching whoever is on 'duty' in the clubhouse, for a very short term mooring, for a small consideration? Whenever we've stopped for rubbish / lift bridge, there's usually been somebody in the club around and who has been very friendly.

"We" are so used to consuming facilities for nothing (me included), that it comes as a shock if one has to pay for something.

We, like most others, I suspect, blast along with some target in mind, but many canalside communities can be welcoming if we 'touch base'.

Just a thought....

"We" are so used to consuming facilities for nothing (me included), that it comes as a shock if one has to pay for something.

Quite right. On the Thames it is rare to find a free overnight mooring, most cost £5 or £10.

I was refreshingly surprised when coming onto the cut to find I could moor virtually anywhere free of charge!

MtB

Went through Thrupp a couple of years ago and thought it was great , two week moorings etc , Adam I think was in charge there , totally helpful , kept an eye on my boat while I was away and let me stay an extra 3 days when I needed to . Hope it hasn't changed .

Thrupp is a very popular mooring spot at any time of the year

All of the moorings are policed and administered on behalf of CRT by Thrupp Canal Cruising Club. Info regarding mooring in the area can be found here: http://www.thruppccc.org.uk/content/moorings

The CRT document is here: http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/5876.pdf

In addition regarding the OP and busses

If you moor on the 48 hour moorings between the long term permit holder moorings and Gunpowder wharf there is a bus stop on the main road about 50' from the wharf.

If the bus to Oxford is key to your mooring, you can get better connections by mooring just about Roundham lock and walking up in to Kidlington (less than 5 mins walk). Busses to Oxford are then every 10 minutes: http://city.oxfordbus.co.uk/timetables-fares/city2#map