Why Trojan T-105s?

Featured Posts

I'm intrigued :-) Many people who have opted for deep cycle wet batteries have and/or recommend T-105s.

Is there a particular reason for choosing this battery? Why 6V rather than 12V? What advantage do the 6V versions have?

Perhaps it all comes down to size and cost? :-)

So, why choose T-105s?

I think mainly because they are a popular battery, and not just with boaters. Therefore they can be had quite cheap and are thus good value for money for semi-traction batteries. That they are 6v is not a specific reason for choosing them, although there are fewer interconnects if replacing an equivalent capacity of 12v 110AH batteries.

I'm intrigued :-) Many people who have opted for deep cycle wet batteries have and/or recommend T-105s.

Is there a particular reason for choosing this battery? Why 6V rather than 12V? What advantage do the 6V versions have?

Perhaps it all comes down to size and cost? :-)

So, why choose T-105s?

They are very like trojan type batteries with thicker plates and cope better with heavy discharge. Many go for the T-105's Myself and others prefer the U.S 2200 which I think is a better battery based on customer feedback in the U.S, they are very similar batteries though and probably not much difference between them.

Ours have been installed well over a year now, they are holding up very well considering our quite heavy usage, we're generally in float mode well before 12 noon and probably benefit from being fully charged for much of the day.

There's a lot of useful discussion already on the forum regarding T105's Vs other batteries, some of it quite recent.

Just check through the Search facility

I used the search and found that you are correct - there are recent threads I missed. Don't know how that happened as I usually look at everything related to batteries and electrics :-)

I think mainly because they are a popular battery, and not just with boaters. Therefore they can be had quite cheap and are thus good value for money for semi-traction batteries. That they are 6v is not a specific reason for choosing them, although there are fewer interconnects if replacing an equivalent capacity of 12v 110AH batteries.

After further searching and reading of the forums I think Nick's post just about sums it up. I would add one other point I spotted which is that there are fewer cells to check and top up than equivalent total AH "leisure" batteries and the caps are bayonet.

All good stuff. Just have to see what adjustments are needed to battery box :-)

After further searching and reading of the forums I think Nick's post just about sums it up. I would add one other point I spotted which is that there are fewer cells to check and top up than equivalent total AH "leisure" batteries and the caps are bayonet.

All good stuff. Just have to see what adjustments are needed to battery box :-)

When we went for the US batteries we needed new battery boxes. I found the perfect solution here.

http://www.solentplastics.co.uk/stacking-plastic-containers-boxes/auer-euro-containers/

The Grey Euro stacking cartons are heavy duty polypropylene and really strong in many sizes, they were well under a tenner each with lids.

DSCF1535.jpg

I have 2 volt full traction batteries the advantage is that if one cell goes down you replace the one cell not the whole bank. Also where the batteries were purchased from they will try to rescue that cell with a flush and fresh acid before just replacing it. So whilst more expensive at the start they have a longer life and in some ways can be surviced

Peter

They are very like trojan type batteries with thicker plates and cope better with heavy discharge. Many go for the T-105's Myself and others prefer the U.S 2200 which I think is a better battery based on customer feedback in the U.S, they are very similar batteries though and probably not much difference between them.

Ours have been installed well over a year now, they are holding up very well considering our quite heavy usage, we're generally in float mode well before 12 noon and probably benefit from being fully charged for much of the day.

A key point is that they both weigh 28kg so the same amount of lead / same plate thickness. I doubt there is much between them internally.