Hi - may I join you?

Barry

Featured Posts

Hi I'm a complete newcomer to this forum and I joined because I like the style - nice and friendly and helpful without bad language and table thumping and I need your advice

I've posted this on another forum because I reckon the more people I ask the more answers I'll get - hope you don't mind

Let me tell you about me - I'm in my early 50s and retire in about 4 years (emergency services you see - they have a policy of casting our abused and broken bodies out to pasture 10 years before everybody else). I'm planning to sell up, pay off the mortgage and live on my own boat.

My reasons;

1) I'm a rebel, a non conformist and I find the idea of sitting in my house waiting to die appalling

2) I'm a traveler - always have been - joined the merchant navy when I was 17 although I gave it up when I got married

3) I love anything to do with water - sailing, fishing, the wildlife, just being on it or by it

4) I want the rest of my life to be an adventure

5) I find the idea of not giving a large part of my last few years salary to the mortgage people very attractive

6) I WANT TO BE FREEEEEEEEE

My ultimate ambition is to have a Cat B dutch barge so I can cruise the British waterways, nip out of one estuary, round the coast to the next river system and then across the Channel and on up the northern European coast - Holland Belgium etc and up into the Baltic, maybe go through the French canals to the Med and up into the Aegean and the Adriatic - how about into the Black Sea. That's going to take time and money though, which won't be available right now plus I also need time to take the relevant qualifications I think I need (RYA Coastal Skipper perhaps).

So for now I'm looking at having a wide beam narrow boat built which I'm pretty certain I can afford with the equity from the house. My plan is to have the best that is available so that when I am in a position to trade up I'll get maximum value from what I have. Plus of course I might decide that staying with a wide beam suits me. I've visited several boatyards so far so I'm beginning to get an idea of what I want (and what I don't want) but I've only got the beginnings of a picture in my head as yet. My boat won't be traditional - it'll be laid out exactly as I want it - galley at the back with big doors leading to a great big cruiser style stern so that the stern becomes an integral part of the living space. My 05 Triumph Bonneville will be carried on the stern as well and there'll be a small sailable boat or Canadian type canoe carried on davits or on the roof. The foredeck will be big so I can step out of my bed and sit outside with my breakfast on a comfortable chair at my table - it's going to be like a breakfast patio. Both the bow and stern areas will have covers so that in the winter I can live in the full length of the boat as I choose but most of all I want light and space. And curves - I don't want a bath with a rabbit hutch perched on top!

I'm still researching as well as dreaming so I need to ask a few questions which I'm hoping that you can help me with. I want to know what the disadvantages and problems are (got to take the rose tinted specs off). For instance what do you do about post (I'm not particularly interested in permanent moorings)?. Would I be effectively homeless with no fixed abode so what about voting in elections and stuff like that? What about links to the internet which I use regularly? What do you do when you feel poorly and need a doctor or a dentist? What are the hidden costs? How do you go about naming a registering a boat? - are their any conventions which are traditionally followed when naming a boat? Are there any other questions I should be asking?

If there aren't any conventions I plan to call the boat AYLA - which is a name some people may recognise (she is a heroine of mine) - I hope to have this happen before Christmas 07 so look out for the boat with the Bonnie on it.

Cheers people - I'm looking forward to some long and fruitful discussions

Bazza

PS Eyup Malc I fish at Bardney from time to time - I'll wave the next time I see your boat

Ooh how wonderful and how exciting!

You are of course extremely welcome here and we are a freindly bunch and only bite occasionally (and then not too hard!)

Your plans sound like a dream in the making and you ask 'Can I join you?'

I think it should be me that is asking YOU that!

all the very best with your plans and I look forward to hearing about how they unfold.

Eyup Bazza! Welcome to the madhouse!

You'll enjoy being part of this forum. Most of us are pretty nice! Your plans sound amazing. Need any help? I can cook and clean, but I must point out that I don't do windows!

Seriously, you'll get answers (probably several conflicting ones!) to all questions on here. All you need to do is ask. A seach of previous topics will answer some queries for you.

Janet

PS. Which part of the country are you from? Don't need to be too specific if you don't want to, but it's nice to know where folks hail from.

Hi Bazza

First of all welcome to the forum:

So many question, we all had or have them so may I suggest the use of the search facility (top right). but maybe I can answer one or two.

Ask one of your friends/relatives if you may use their address for post and registering for voting use this address to register with the local GP, you can then visit any GP in the country to see you just like you would if on holiday in another part of the country.

Internet is usually via mobile phone (3G connection) not cheap you can also use Wi Fi and the local library is usually connected.

As for registering your boat you have to contact the authority of your 'home' water (British Waterways and Environment agency are two there are others) you will also need a licence from them depending on the water you are on.

Your description of your boat sounds like a 'one off' so expect to pay more than 'normal'

Any more questions that you do not find the answer for go to the appropriate section and ask. <_<

What a lovely welcome thanks to you all

Rose - you're lovely

Alec - you are correct sir very perceptive - been single for 11 years - can't seem to find my one special girl so I've given up for now and am concentrating on a dream I CAN achieve

Janet - nice offer and thank you but after 11 years I'm pretty well domesticated - well to my standard anyway perhaps not yours - I live just south of Lincoln which is why I recognise where Malc used to moor his boat

Bottle - Thanks mate - I'm reading the next item below this one which, as it happens, is a discussion on the wisdom of selling up to live the dream - there are some wise words on one side and some exciting ones on the other - it's just what I need because it'll help me to get a sense of perspective and balance so hopefully I'll make a good decision - I may even come up with a middle way

would anyone like to guess from the last paragraph what star sign I am? come on it's easy

Cheers

Bazza

Alright Bazza, I'm already there!

I've got the widebeam, the Canadian canoe on the roof and the motorbike on the stern deck (at least I will have as soon as I can find a nice wide boarding plank), although it's only an old Honda 400, not a Triumph Bonneville.

Edited by blackrose

would anyone like to guess from the last paragraph what star sign I am?

Ermmmm. Nope! Not a clue, but I'll guess Sagittarius.

Janet

PS. I'm gutted you turned down my offer, but that's life..... you'll live to regret it! I may even have made an exception and done windows, but you'll never know....

Regarding your mention of fishing, are you a regular angler? If so, I may pick your brains from time to time! Just started last year - need all the help I can get!

Ah BlackRose - a girl after my own heart obviously - I'm kind of worried about insuring my bike though with potentially no post code - my car insurance company have already told me that they won't re-insure my old car

Janet - Sagitarius!!! - think about needing balance and being a dreadful prevaricator

Did I turn you down? just playing hard to get - I've just got back into fishing after a long break of several years - happy to help in any way I can - Are you close to my neck of the woods? can't help bragging about this but last November I had a week on the broads by myself on a hire boat - fished all week and on the last night caught my first pike in 14 years - it weighed 18 pounds 12 ounces and was a stunning fight - lifetime memory for me - got a photo if you want to see it and I can do the technical stuff

Edited by Bazza2

would anyone like to guess from the last paragraph what star sign I am? come on it's easy

Must be a Libra, just like me. But then again you might not be. Though you probably are. Not that it matters if you aren't. Though it'd make me feel good to have guessed right if you are. But then I feel fairly good anyway. So it doesn't realy matter either way. Or does it?

I used to be indecisive, but I don't think I am any more. Although on the other hand ....

Allan

That was a cracking pike! I caught my first one a couple of months ago - accidentally, on double white maggots over a bed of worm whilst targetting perch. It was all of 2 pounds! I'd love to see the pic - that's a good fish by any standards!

I'm a complete novice, trying to teach myself as I don't know anyone else who fishes. All my friends think I'm crazy, but I'm loving it. Haven't caught anything worth mentioning really, but I haven't had a blank yet. It's the experience that counts, not the weight! That's what I keep telling myself! Perch are my favourite target, but to be honest, I'm happy with anything that decides to chuck itself on my hook. 2lb 14oz perch is my best yet. Not in a league with your pike!

Janet

Goodnight everybody.

Have to get some sleep ready for work in the morning. Yes, some of us have to do the w**k thing at weekends! I don't have a day off now until March. Unfortunately I work in the travel industry, and every man and his dog are starting to book holidays now after watching the ads on TV.

Still, mustn't grumble - all this overtime gives me extra days off and pays for our two weeks on narrowboat in May and a luxury holiday next December! Worth every minute, even if I grumble about it!

Night night everyone! Bazza - nice to speak to you. Expect that pike picture soon. Welcome again to the forum. Are you going to be joining the Fridaaaaay ASBO gang, or are you too grown up for that? Go and have a look at the thread - it's nothing if not interesting! If you can make sense of it, then you'll be automatically granted membership!

Janet

Bazza

PS Eyup Malc I fish at Bardney from time to time - I'll wave the next time I see your boat

We may have met on occasion then <_< You've probably noticed I'm not there anymore.....however you're very welcome to come and visit anytime, either to my boat or house.

Hi Bazza and welcome.

Good luck with your dreams I hope you get them fulfilled. Just a thought have you looked at Keith Wood Narrowboats on the A1 at Stilton in Cambridgeshire? He makes a pretty good wide beam shell and can fit out to whatever stage you want. I had a narrowboat sail away made by him and was very pleased with his standard of workmanship.

Regards John.

PS. I'm gutted you turned down my offer, but that's life..... you'll live to regret it! I may even have made an exception and done windows, but you'll never know....

Janet!!! behave yourself you floosey! <_<

There is a name for girls like you who go round offering to do windows at the drop of a hat you know! for goodness sake you have only just met the guy! keep on like that and you will be getting this forum a bad name!

Bazza..... please do not be put off by Janets total lack of decorum. I am certain it was only a momentary lapse. Most of us girls on the forum know the proper way to behave and would NEVER openly admit do doing housew**k until it was completely necessary!

I trust whatever star sign you are you have a forgiving nature and can let this misdemeanor go without spoiling your enjoyment of the forum. :P

All I can imagine is that she had spent far too much time with the Fridaaay ASBO gang ....... :D

site crew..... can you keep an eye on what goes on in the bar on Fridaaay please? Can anyone keep that band of furry critters under control?

site crew..... can you keep an eye on what goes on in the bar on Fridaaay please? Can anyone keep that band of furry critters under control?

I think I can speak on behalf of the site crew in answering "No", and "No", in that order.

I'll always be in the bar on Fridaaays, but only because of the BEER BEER BEER <_<

Allan

I think I can speak on behalf of the site crew in answering "No", and "No", in that order.

I'll always be in the bar on Fridaaays, but only because of the BEER BEER BEER <_<

Allan

Ok!!! I knew it!

The standards have already slipped .......................

mark my words ... I bet Allan has already PM'ed Janet to ask her what spec her chamois is! :D

its a slippery slope we are on here....

ROSE

How very dare you!

You're calling ME a floosie? You, the woman who quite obviously doesn't know the meaning of housew**k?

ALLAN

Thank you for refusing her request to keep order in the Virtual Pub. She has a real cheek considering her performance in there the other night. Oh yes. We all know where Snibble acquired his frilly knickers. She's anybody's for a Martini - any time, any place, anywhere!

BAZZA

You see what you've started now?

Right Rose - see you outside - handbags at the ready!

Janet <_<

ROSE

How very dare you!

You see what you've started now?

Right Rose - see you outside - handbags at the ready!

Janet :D

Oh I see its like THAT is it ???????

<_<

well I hope you know what you are taking on....... I used to be an Essex girl you know......... do you have a WHITE handbag to match your stilletoes?

well I hope you know what you are taking on....... I used to be an Essex girl you know......... do you have a WHITE handbag to match your stilletoes?

No dear. I wouldn't be quite so common as to wear white stilletoes. That's the sort of thing that Sun readers do. I'm fully decked out in Burberry.....most tasteful. Victoria Beckham wears it. That shows it's class, doesn't it?

Janet

Crikey - look what I've started

I ask a reasonable question after just having introduced myself, go to work, and when I get back the pub goers are squabbling - ON MY THREAD!!!

Actually I've been in the pub as Janet suggested and I'm trying to stop laughing as I type - some of you have got talent I have to say - although I didn't read all 69 pages of the Fridaaays thread to be truthful

I'm amazed at how active this forum is it's lovely

Anyway to reply to all your replies (well the ones that concern me)

Janet - I'll sort the pic one way or another in a minute it's not my biggest though - that was twenty two and a half pounds - all right I can detect the itchy fingers twitching already - don't you dare - it's too obvious

A perch of 2lb 14oz is superb excellent well done

SuperMalc - thanks mate that's lovely - I'll keep an eye out for you

Blackrose - erm .............. I seem to have misunderstood something - sorry Mike - thought you was a girl ....all right all right don't take THAT wrong either

Allan - yes I'm a Libran - easy wasn't it

John thanks for the welcome mate - I know Kieth Bellairs at Stilton - is that the same firm or are they neighbours - I saw a widebeam being built by Kieth just before Christmas and I liked it a lot

To the rest of you - take it easy ladies - I have to work again tomorrow

Cheers all

Bazza

I've been in the pub as Janet suggested

Not my fault. I didn't make you do it!
some of you have got talent

Oh yes? Ask Cheshire~Rose about her lap dancing exploits!

I didn't read all 69 pages of the Fridaaays thread
I suggest you do, when you have a few days to spare. It may help you to understand the mentality of some of the forum members who you may come to love and trust!
I'm amazed at how active this forum is it's lovely

Yes, mostly it is.

I'll sort the pic one way or another in a minute it's not my biggest though - that was twenty two and a half pounds - all right I can detect the itchy fingers twitching already - don't you dare - it's too obvious

A perch of 2lb 14oz is superb excellent well done

Thanks. I thought it was just a tiddler after seeing some of the photos in the mags and my local tackle shop, until I started looking into the weights for different species. It was only the second fish I'd caught, so I didn't know much! I'd read the magazines, so just chucked in chopped worms (Yuk! I'm still on a learning curve regarding worms!) and hooked a couple of friendly maggots. The pics I'd seen I now know were all carp with pretty names from puddles. That's not fishing! Mine was a wild fish (and didn't I know it when I tried to land it!) from the local Leeds and Liverpool canal. I doubt it had ever been caught before, and I don't think I'll ever catch anything that puts up a better fight. Mind you, I did take a lovely 4lb 3oz wild brownie from my local river that gave me quite a scrap!

take it easy ladies - I have to work again tomorrow

So do I. Don't have a day off now until March. I'm working all my days off, plus weekends. Can't complain though. In the travel industry, Jan and Feb are our busiest times. Everyone wants to escape to the sun. I'll be there for them! Will work like a silly bugger every day for two months solid, get all the overtime in, collapse exhausted in March, have a long weekend camping at Easter then have a lovely couple of weeks on a narrowboat in May and a luxury holiday at Christmas next year. We go somewhere lovely and warm every Christmas, and take all our canal maps and Nicholsons with us, then spend the whole week planning our next trip. It's not reallly a holiday, it's a planning meeting! We just spent a lovely day lying on a totally deserted golden beach just down from Orzola, on the northern tip of Lanzarote, paddling, flying a kite (as you do!) and perusing Nicholson's to work out alternatives, should we have any more stoppages, as we did last year.

No stoppages to report so far. This is the year we finally do the South Pennnine Ring. Watch this space!

Janet

Janet

2lb 14oz Perch was your second fish ever - that's fantastic - that'll be one of those fish that you will remember every detail of for the rest of your days. They reckon that a fish that is more than half of the current record is classed as a "specimin fish" if that sort of stuff bothers you - I wish I could SEE a Perch as big as that let alone catch one. You wait till you get so hooked on worm fishing that you build your own wormery - that's very therapeutic - have you got a compost heap? - if it's an old one look in there and you might some of those lovely little red worms that fish love. I once caught a 6lb 8oz tench from a local drain on one of those

Thanks for not commenting about the ugly creature in the photo - I thought the fish was gorgeous and I don't like being told it's ugly

Going back to my dream - I read somewhere that there's a world of difference between boating on canals and being on a river system which has started me thinking. I've already decided that a narrow boat won't suit me if I am to live on it and I was happy about a wide beam limiting the canals I can travel on - but I'm beginning to wonder what I would be missing by not being able to go through the 7ft bridges and locks. I need other peoples experience here. I have to admit that the only cruising experience I have is from lots of holidays on the Broads and the Thames. I had made that assumption that working locks was going to be straightforward especially to someone from an engineering background but from what I read that may be a dangerous assumption to make. I reckon I'm going to have to have at least one holiday on a narrowboat this year just to check things out and put my mind at rest

Edited by Bazza2