Satellite TV

Glynn

Featured Posts

I think the reason some go for a bigger dish is that on a fixed installation the signal strength is higher. With a small dish it may be easier to set up, but the signal is disrupted easier by rain storms.

Bob

I've just checked Sky's website. It seems it's no longer a requirement to have your box connected to the phone line, even when first installed. You do need an internet connection to access some functions

A tip for finding the satellite - don't try aiming the dish up at 22 degrees as the signal bounces off it into the LNB which is usually mounted on an arm and points upwards. My dish is actually pointing slightly down from vertical when I get the signal. This is one of the reasons some people find it difficult to find a sat signal. Usually takes me a couple of minutes after checking the direction in Nicholsons.

I downloaded Satellite AR from the google play store, it will show you where in the sky the Astra satellite is and all you need to do is some fine tuning with the sat finder.

I think the reason some go for a bigger dish is that on a fixed installation the signal strength is higher. With a small dish it may be easier to set up, but the signal is disrupted easier by rain storms.

Bob

Certainly heavy rain attenuates the signal, but we have never had picture break up in bad weather with our 40cm dish, though no doubt if I had looked the strength / quality may have dropped below 100%. We have never been on the boat in heavy snow but perhaps that is worse than rain for attenuation?

Certainly heavy rain attenuates the signal, but we have never had picture break up in bad weather with our 40cm dish, though no doubt if I had looked the strength / quality may have dropped below 100%. We have never been on the boat in heavy snow but perhaps that is worse than rain for attenuation?

Not sure about the snow, but it makes sense. We've had our dish drop out a few times when there are thunder cells around between us and the satellite.

It has happened when we've lived in a house as well, but only twice as I recall.

Bob