Mooring Narrowboats on Lochs or Lakes?

Sas

Featured Posts

When you Moor/Anchor it's probably more sensible to do so towards the shallower edges of the Lochs, Hence the. 'Don't be afraid to take a line ashore' quote. Not Dropping the hook in the Middle, at quite possibly the Deepest parts, in the main Channels.

Yes, I think the previous posts about the problems of anchoring in 1000ft of water are largely irrelevant.

Yes, I think the previous posts about the problems of anchoring in 1000ft of water are largely irrelevant.

Indeed.

As an aside has anyone ever spent any time at anchor on a narrowboat?

How does a narrowboat sit at anchor?

A foot? Surely narrowboats regularly go through much bigger waves on the tidal Thames. I've hit 3ft waves on my widebeam without a problem.

Firstly can I just apologise for responding to some advice whilst appearing to ignore the rest??? Sadly I ve had to work in between :-\

However, I've just read through the thread and whilst some advice may not apply to the situation I'm planning, it has been a fascinating read and I'm very grateful for everyone taking the time. thanks :-)

I'll let you know how it goes.....when I've tried it....EEK! :-)

Well done you SaS.

And don't let real life get in the way, it just mucks things up !.

THANKS Paul!

Sadly, without the 'real life' we wouldn't be able to buy a boat !!!

Cheers

Sas. :-)

Indeed.

As an aside has anyone ever spent any time at anchor on a narrowboat?

How does a narrowboat sit at anchor?

We have anchored on rivers when we just needed to stop for the night and could not find anywhere to get in to the side that didn't have a 'No Mooring' sign or a 'Overnight Moorings £5' sign - facing upstream with the anchor line over the front pointy bit worked perfectly for us - comfy nights sleep only disturbed by the cat complaining that it couldn't enjoy a night of shore leave . . .

Back on topic (almost) has anyone seen this?

http://www.blagdonwater.com/

Nor is the advice that there are better suited boats!

Buy a better suited boat, cruise the lochs, sell boat, buy narrowboat, cruise canals.

I don't disagree. Naughty Cal would be a much better bet.

To be frank, unless the OP has a lot of offshore experience, I don't think this is a very good plan.