Special tool 18G 694 - head spanner

BMC problems

Featured Posts

Does anyone have this tool, or a fabricated alternative that i could borrow so I can torque down the head in the proscribed sequence?

It's impossible to tighten down as per the manual without it as 3 are hidden by the rocker shaft.

The alternative is to torque down the ones without the rockers in place followed by the 4 rocker shaft ones.

As a bodge, am I asking for trouble doing this?

You don't need the special tool. Machine Mart sell a set of crows foot spanners to go onto a 3/8" drive. Using a 3/8" extension you can clear the rocker shaft and use a torque wrench

I think that screw is the one that holds the rocked shaft in the pillar. All the other pillars are free to slide along the shaft

Richard

The risk is that one of the pillars moves while torquing the head down and you can't slip the shaft back through

Richard

But aren't the 1.8 posts held down by two studs like the 1.5, the head stud and 5/16 one that only secures the post. I think that if you fitted the rocker gear as a complete assembly and tightened the 5/16 studs they would hold the posts tight enough so they do not move. Then strip the shaft out (best not do it this way unless you like jigsaw puzzles -loads of washers and springs etc.) and tighten the head nuts. finally reassemble the shaft.

However I agree the clearance on the head stud holes might allow one to move and the reassembly will not be straight forward so I think the crows foot is the best way to go.

But aren't the 1.8 posts held down by two studs like the 1.5, the head stud and 5/16 one that only secures the post. I think that if you fitted the rocker gear as a complete assembly and tightened the 5/16 studs they would hold the posts tight enough so they do not move.

And how frustrating will it be when one pillar moves a fraction? biggrin.png

Richard

MORE: This is the set I bought: http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-crows-foot-imperial-wrench-set-8-piece?da=1&TC=SRC-crow%20foot

Edited by RLWP

Thanks all. I am (enormously) reluctant to dismantle rocker shaft and to have to loosen in after....

I'm also ( slightly less) reluctant to buy £20 of tools that I will almost never use and just make my toolbox heavier. (And a 1/2" 3/8" adaptor)

One last question; torquing the first 10 then fitting the rocker shaft? Probably OK, bit risky or total no-no?

Size is 11/16" crows foot?

Edited by BMC problems

To be honest, there are lots of BMC 1.5 engines out there, not so many crows foot spanners and fewer still special tools. So there will be a lot of heads fitted 'wrong' that work fine. And some that don't

So, if you do the job properly - new gasket, scrupulous cleaning of the head and block - it will probably work OK without using the right tools. And it might not - and the consequence might be water leaking into the cylinder and a bent rod

Lots of mights in that statement

Richard