Featured Posts

Hi guys still planning my future narrow beam one of the things i would like is a quiet engine so i was all set on buying the beta marine acoustic engine cover,I know expensive. My boat builder has advised me not to do this as it makes sevicing more ackward and he says with modern day sound proofing materials he can get the same results

Any comments from people who have the box or has sound proofed there engine bay.would be welcome,

thanks Carl and Samantha

Depends on your stern . If its a cruiser such as ours its no problem . Our engineer takes the box apart almost one handed then just sits on the engine , really easy. Box comes a part easily But if its a beta 43 I suggest you look at my recent posts In Equipment. Bunny

Go on boats and see whether you think they're noisy or not. Our Beta has no soundproofing and not ever a hospital silencer, yet people still tell us how quiet it sounds. And I can usually hear them too!

I have done quite a few quiet engine installations, when you have it right the effect is very pleasant, other boaters tend to be very keen to find out what engine you are using!

I can recommend the article on pages 82/3 & 4 of the July edition of Waterways World, it explains one method which costs very little and works well. Written by a great bloke as well.

Best of luck with the project.

Mike.

Edited by Mike Jordan

We've got the box with a Beta 43 inside (BV1903S) and hospital silencer. I'm pleased with it. With all the boards off the engine is as silent as under soundproofed boards. With our boards on it's very quiet. I could make it quieter with more soundproofing under the deck boards but don't consider it necessary.

It takes about 20 minutes to remove all the wooden framework above and the box itself from around the engine. It's never been an obstruction to servicing - the surrounding rear-cabin engineroom imposes the main strictures on access, not the acoustic box. There is a handy little hatch on top so you can reach the oil and water for daily checks.