This will be my last topic because i do not believe this forum is about boats

Featured Posts

Or liken it to someone asking for suggestions as what flowers / plants work well on the roof of a boat and get accused of being a Troll (whatever the meaning you care to put on it - it's not nice).

I don't think your pub example is really credible as your changing forms of communication drastically. Pretty hard to compare written communication with the only emphasis being the use of punctuation and/or smileys vs. verbal communication which also includes body language, tone, emphasis on words etc etc

And I would hazard a guess there are a lot more people who make those first few posts, get shot down and are never heard from again; compared to the ones who have the pure determination to stick it out........wonder how TJ ever got on with his boat purchase?

Don't get me wrong - this forum is Great and a wealth of info and laughs; but it should come with some kind of a warning for new members who aren't of an assertive nature and have little to no inland waterway experience or knowledge.

Any Internet forum should come with a health warning, unless you participate in one that is heavily moderated.

Participation in this one is not compulsory the information is available elsewhere, the point is CWDF is what it is, people can take it or leave it.

As for TJ, he is a good example of somebody who from memory disregarded (more than once) the advice of existing members advice about being circumspect about his intended purchase, if he took the hump and no longer posts because of that it is his loss not the forum's.

Edited by The Dog House

An interesting question and I suspect many academics and amateurs have attempted to answer it.

A bit sad, and a shock when it happens to you.

I agree, it's just so unnecessary and disruptive as well. But hey, it takes all sorts I suppose.

Or liken it to someone asking for suggestions as what flowers / plants work well on the roof of a boat and get accused of being a Troll (whatever the meaning you care to put on it - it's not nice).

I don't think your pub example is really credible as your changing forms of communication drastically. Pretty hard to compare written communication with the only emphasis being the use of punctuation and/or smileys vs. verbal communication which also includes body language, tone, emphasis on words etc etc

And I would hazard a guess there are a lot more people who make those first few posts, get shot down and are never heard from again; compared to the ones who have the pure determination to stick it out........wonder how TJ ever got on with his boat purchase?

Don't get me wrong - this forum is Great and a wealth of info and laughs; but it should come with some kind of a warning for new members who aren't of an assertive nature and have little to no inland waterway experience or knowledge.

Thinking about it, I honestly think that somewhere between yours and DH or rather TDH posts lies the kill ground. I do like the Pub example though as a real world situation.

(I likes our BB, a perfect Virtual reliance, She Bakes um,I Eats um)

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2
  • Greenie 1

As for TJ, he is a good example of somebody who from memory disregarded (more than once) the advice of existing members advice about being circumspect about his intended purchase, if he took the hump and no longer posts because of that it is his loss not the forum's.

I was just about to post something similar having seen someone above question what happened to TJ, however I think you summed it up very well.

disregarded (more than once) the advice of existing members advice about being circumspect about his intended purchase, if he took the hump and no longer posts because of that it is his loss not the forum's.

Didn't realize you spoke for the forum TDH - I'm a member and I would have liked to see how he got on, he was a very young man with little to no experience making some pretty big decisions. Maybe he was a bit of a loose cannon, big deal, he's young. How about Tree? Wonder how she's getting on these days - another name that comes to mind, someone who left because of some quite hurtful / needless comments regarding her writing style.

Would you say the forum better off without her as well? And before you jump all over her writing style, it wasn't my cup of tea either. However, if I didn't feel like wading through it to decipher it, I'd simply skip over it and not get stressy about it.

As always, just MHO

(I likes our BB, a perfect Virtual reliance, She Bakes um,I Eats um)

Chocolate Macaroon Bars tomorrow Paul :)

• Greenie 2

Didn't realize you spoke for the forum TDH - I'm a member and I would have liked to see how he got on, he was a very young man with little to no experience making some pretty big decisions. Maybe he was a bit of a loose cannon, big deal, he's young. How about Tree? Wonder how she's getting on these days - another name that comes to mind, someone who left because of some quite hurtful / needless comments regarding her writing style.

Would you say the forum better off without her as well? And before you jump all over her writing style, it wasn't my cup of tea either. However, if I didn't feel like wading through it to decipher it, I'd simply skip over it and not get stressy about it.

As always, just MHO

Chocolate Macaroon Bars tomorrow Paul :)

As I said the forum is what it is.

People come, people go, I am certainly not going to sweat over who chooses to stay or who chooses to go, it's their choice, not mine nor one imposed by the forum.

I hope TJ and Tree are ok and doing well but as they have seemingly voluntarily withdrawn from here I guess we will never know, hey ho..

It's their call as to if they ever come back and let us know....

Question

Why do some members think it is acceptable to call people names in a forum ?.

If (using the same Pub example) a person was to wander from there boat, into a Canal side pub and decided to start calling people they have never met names, (Banter aside) I fancy that wouldn't be met very favorably at all, it might even prompt a very unpleasant response indeed.

When a discussion/argument resorts to name-calling or personal insults, it usually means the one who is calling the names has run out of contructive counterpoint but 1) still wants to type/say something and 2) doesn't have the maturity to accept the counter argument, or concede that they're wrong, or apologise. If one measured it on a win-lose scale the other person at this stage has normally "won" their point.

Edited by Paul C
  • Greenie 2

When a discussion/argument resorts to name-calling or personal insults, it usually means the one who is calling the names has run out of contructive counterpoint but 1) still wants to type/say something and 2) doesn't have the maturity to accept the counter argument, or concede that they're wrong, or apologise. If one measured it on a win-lose scale the other person at this stage has normally "won" their point.

What a brilliant way of looking at it,

Yes,, Makes sence. if I knew how to give greenies I would. But they don't appear or give me the option on my phone, so have a virtual one.

He He He! just noticed your signature adjustment Paul, are you trying to get up to my level, the heady League of Halfwits.oh and if Bettie sends you some spare cookies, dont forget me>

Phil

Have just given PaulC a greenie from you

Edited by Phil Ambrose

He He He! just noticed your signature adjustment Paul, are you trying to get up to my level, the heady League of Halfwits.oh and if Bettie sends you some spare cookies, dont forget me>

Phil

I know my place Sir Phil, I get a pain in my neck constantly looking up to the people who move in such circles.

(Hi ya matey, ofcourse I will save you,,,,One,,,)

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

As always, just MHO

Well said Bettie - have a greenie from me :)

I am wondering if the engineer at the marina explained things to you properly or whether they really were incompetent or dishonest.

You mentioned that you were told the engine mounts had broken off at the weld, but you reckon the engine mounts are made of wood.

I am assuming that your boat is a steel narrowboat. The engine could be either solidly mounted or on flexible mounts. If it is solidly mounted (is it a Lister by any chance?) there will probably be some oak sandwiched between a substantial steel substructure and the engine/gearbox mounting points. Has the substructure broken away and needs welding? - seems unlikely , but possible.

The original purpose for taking the boat in for repairs was *to have a bearing fitted on the prop*. I assume you mean a new bearing on the prop shaft. This might well indicate that there was some long-standing misalignment of the engine which caused the problem.

I wish you well and hope you get it sorted soon. Don't worry about negative comments. In most cases people are just trying to be helpful and it is always best to give as much info as possible.

Phil

hi phil i just think they did not have a good look before phoning, its a lister sat on oak. it looks to me as if it needs to be shimmed up to line up better

thank you

Adam

Well said Bettie - have a greenie from me :)

Well given you didn't read the post BB was responding to I'm left wondering if you get the post in its full context.....

Or did you read it?

Edited by The Dog House

Aren't you on the ignore list? So it's kind of pointless asking.

Sometimes people make a big thing about putting somebody on their ignore list but then they can't help but take a peek.....

By quoting you I was being mischievous, I couldn't help myself.

Damn you will you stop it! :D

(Bless him he honestly can't quite believe I can resist reading his posts - hence an earlier "yeah right" which someone quoted)

I don't. Ever. I know there will be nothing there I want to read. He should be pleased - he's always encouraging people to put him on their ignore list. Job done - it's a win win situation.

All is good in my world at the moment and I'm not letting him spoil it.

Well just finished reading the "vintage & classic" thread started by the OP of this thread, I now fully appreciate the comments made both in this thread and the flower thread, some of which I (wrongly) thought as a little sharp and unfounded. It makes much more sense now.

Damn you will you stop it! :D

(Bless him he honestly can't quite believe I can resist reading his posts - hence an earlier "yeah right" which someone quoted)

I don't. Ever. I know there will be nothing there I want to read. He should be pleased - he's always encouraging people to put him on their ignore list. Job done - it's a win win situation.

All is good in my world at the moment and I'm not letting him spoil it.

Bless.....

excuse me for being thick but what is a troll ...

It's a term that is often misused on here. Generally people who make controversial posts or start controversial threads are not an internet toll particularly when their identity is known, 'proper' trolls remain anonymous. Sometimes on here people confuse this as trolling when it is nothing of the sort.

An internet toll is generally somebody who makes random often single posts for the sole purpose of provoking a reaction, and then sits back and watches the response and doesn't normally then re enter the thread/discussion, unless it is to provoke further reaction.

More latterly the term has also been applied to those sad individuals who post anonymous threats (including death threats) over the likes Facebook.