Buying a boat on Ebay

muddywaters

Featured Posts

I'd say, view Ebay as the advert and the introduction, not as the broker or middleman.

Then go about things as you would with any other private sale.

I found/"won" my boat on Ebay, but from that point on, everything played according to my intent to protect myself and negotiate with the seller over issues that arose, not as some Paypal-covered "this is how to do it" contract that Ebay managed for me.

muddywaters, on 01 Jun 2014 - 11:14 PM, said:

Is it safe ?

How can you protect yourself ?

What general advise would anyone give ?

It is probably as safe/risky as any other high value purchase undertaken privately.

If the price sounds to good to be true it probably is and make sure you meet up with the seller and satisfy yourself they own the boat and in a position to actually sell it legitimately. Look for a paper work trail etc etc - the same as you would as if you were buying a boat advertised on here or in a waterways magazine small ads.

There are definitely legitimate sellers on eBay -

Just one example.

That boat is being sold by RichardH of this parish and is known to several forum members.

I bought mine on eBay but not through the bidding system I chose boats I liked ,watched them through to see if they sold ,when they failed to reach there reserve price I sent a private email offering them a lower cash deal, after three months I had two people that were willing to accept almost half of there original price I then arranged to meet at the boat with all the paperwork for the boat and a bag of cash when I was happy that boat was as advertised we swapped and parted company the only thing I would say is be careful about meeting strangers in a secluded place when they know you are a cash buyer as there have been a few robbery,s through eBay were someone agrees a large cash amount for a car ,meet in a lay bye and get turned over also I was buying a yogurt pot so not worried about a survey hope that helps and good luck with your purchase as there are a lot of good bargains on eBay

• Greenie 1

Not just boats, but with any high value item contact the ebay seller and arrange to view in person. Then if you like it, negotiate directly to buy it face to face and not via ebay. Few sellers will turn down a real live buyer with cash in a carrier bag in favour of insisting on the auction running to the end.

I have both bought and sold high value items this way. With high value stuff Ebay generally acts as a shop window, not a selling channel.

MtB

• Greenie 1

Not just boats, but with any high value item contact the ebay seller and arrange to view in person. Then if you like it, negotiate directly to buy it face to face and not via ebay. Few sellers will turn down a real live buyer with cash in a carrier bag in favour of insisting on the auction running to the end.

I have both bought and sold high value items this way. With high value stuff Ebay generally acts as a shop window, not a selling channel.

MtB

I see eBay the same way. I've bought cars advertised on eBay. I go to look at the car, test drive it, check documentation and check out the owner. The only difference is that rather than hand cash over you may have to put a bid in if they won't end the auction early. Cash is a good carrot!