Trip to the Royal Armories

Featured Posts

Eyup Boaty People,

We will be heading from Lemonroyde to the Royal Armouries next Wednesday as it's half term.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or info

Any pubs to moor at on the way?

I know the Armouries mooring is free but do I need to pre book?

I believe there is electric (tokens from BW office) ?

We plan to overnight at the Armouries is this aloud and safe?

Are there any other things to see within about 3hrs of the Armouries?

Thanks in anticipation, it will be our first overnight in our new boat so the kids are very excited lol

We will post a trip report after

Eyup Boaty People,

We will be heading from Lemonroyde to the Royal Armouries next Wednesday as it's half term.

Thanks in anticipation, it will be our first overnight in our new boat so the kids are very excited lol

There are no pubs to moor at

Woodlesdford has pubs you can walk to.

Moorings in Clarence Dock are limited but you don't need to book, they are allowed and safe. No electric AFAIK.

When you say within three hours of the armouries what mode of transport will you be using?...

We can reach Leeds in just half that at TS 12

Edited by The Dog House

There are electric posts at Clarence dock, and water too. There is a pump-out and Elsan just down the way, too.

You can walk to central Leeds in 20 minutes, and there's more to see there than would take weeks.

Mind you, the Armouries alone can easily fill an whole day

Where is the electric on the VM's?

they were spaced fairly regularly all the way along...I didn't need them 'cos don't use the stuff on the cruiser

Just checked the pics of when we last moored there and yes they are there.

We obviously never used them either.

We had a night in Clarence Dock a few years back now. It was fairly busy with visitors during the day but really very quiet at night. It was a fair old walk into the city centre though.

Next time we will probably moor closer into Leeds.

Woodlesford is a nice spot for BBQ and the village is nice as well.

At the Armouries, I can recommend the outside bit, free to enter, where they keep the horses and the birds of prey. You can also see into the workshops where they repair (and make) weapons and armour.

The nearest pub to Clarence Dock (other side of thge main road) is the Palace. Real ale galore, but not just for old gits like me, it's very popular. From the Palace it's a nice short stroll through the old lanes to the city centre.

Past the Armouries, it's a nice short cruise under the city bridges to the lock up onto the Leeds/Liv canal. You can moor above the lock for another brilliant pub.

http://www.thegroveinn.com

In the city centre, you probably know Whitelocks if you are from within twenty miles of Leeds. But since others might read this for tips about Leeds I can't help mentioning it. Beautiful Victorian brass and mahogany pub hidden in a city centre alley. Don't go at any time you might expect a pub to be busy!

If it's the holidays, Leeds/Clarence Dock may be slightly full. There is minimal space for boats...4 spaces....on the left as you enter....the pontoon fingers are private moorings, although many use them it seems (we did)....but BW may chase you....

We spent 2 weeks in Leeds, so we had to leave the 48hr moorings, and go moor on the river section...(I kept a good eye on river levels but the weather was good). We ALSO went one more lock up to Granary Wharf, where we paid per night...(elec included)...just on the right hand side as you exit the lock). We enjoyed that....but you may need to have very long hosepipe/elec cables to use those services, if a few boats are moored up. The water level in the Granary Wharf pound also goes up and down a LOT....so you have to keep your ropes loosened.

So ..you have 3 options. :)

Eyup Boaty People,

Lemonroyd too Clarence Dock is about a three hour trip. Only pubs are at Woodlesford and in Leeds, but Woodlesford is only 10mins from Lemonroyd!

No need to book for Royal Armouries.

Electric tokens from Fearns Wharf which is just over the foot bridge at Clarence Dock (Knights Bridge), you get them from Reception which opens from around 8.30am to around 5pm.

Clarence Dock is "city centre", but mostly isn't loud at night.

Clarence Dock isn't the only moorings, there's a few more around the Sanitary Station on the river before Leeds Lock and at Fearns Wharf, however if Clarence Dock is full (which is likely), I would head to Granary Wharf, they don't charge on the north or south banks of the canal only the fingers off it.

Pubs in Leeds I would recommend - Whitelocks is the oldest (1715) pub in Leeds.
- Clarence Dock
The Palace
Adelphi
- Granary Wharf
Midnight Bell
Cross Keys
The Hop
- Centre Leeds
The Ship
Whitelocks
Victoria
Mr Foleys
The Packhorse
- Near train station (these are more bars than pubs).
Tapped
Friends of Ham

Thanks Robbo and everyone.

We chugged down to Leeds in about 3 hrs and didn't pass another boat other than moored ones.

Turned into the Armouries and Moored, it's all quite new and nice down there.

There was no space on the visitors mooring (we missed the last spot by 5 mins apparently)

But there was a couple of spaces on the fingers so we pulled into one of them.

I went and had a word with a couple of the residents who said we were ok to stay while we were at the Armouries but not overnight.

So after the armouries we went back to Leeds sanatary station and stopped there for the night.

We went into Leeds for a meal but can't for the life of me remember where lol (small place Italian ish food)

We headed back and again saw no one on the water?

All In all a nice little trip out

Thanks Robbo and everyone.

We chugged down to Leeds in about 3 hrs and didn't pass another boat other than moored ones.

Turned into the Armouries and Moored, it's all quite new and nice down there.

There was no space on the visitors mooring (we missed the last spot by 5 mins apparently)

But there was a couple of spaces on the fingers so we pulled into one of them.

I went and had a word with a couple of the residents who said we were ok to stay while we were at the Armouries but not overnight.

So after the armouries we went back to Leeds sanatary station and stopped there for the night.

We went into Leeds for a meal but can't for the life of me remember where lol (small place Italian ish food)

We headed back and again saw no one on the water?

All In all a nice little trip out

Hi there!

Were you on the Sanitary station VM's on the 21st May??

If so, we passed you comming into Leeds lock

(there were a pair of cruisers there when we came through)