'ELEMIAH' Moves to Lechlade

myomo

Featured Posts

Firstly Peeps I apologise for being diguised as Myomo!! I am, of course TeeELL - but until a moderator has a look at the problem I cannot post as me so I've hijacked Mo's PC and log-in.

Fingers crossed, I'm due to have 'ELEMIAH' back in my hands at the end of January - a long wait, but worth it. I will spend the first 10-12 days of Feb getting her carpeted, all the kit put back in the washing machine installed etc. My plan is to leave Brierley Hill (NB spelling Moley!) on Mon 12th Feb. However, here is the crunch - I cannot break into the central BCN 'the quick way' because netherton tunnel is shut until mid March! So I have to go down to Stourton Jn and up through Wolverhampton. In B'ham Farmers Bridge and Aston flights are closed so I have to detour left at Pudding Green Jn and route via Tame Valley. I can't get from Kingswood Jn to Napton Jn because the closure of Hatton flt has been extended to mid March so I have to detour around the B&F, Coventry and North Oxford!! All in all the cruise length has been virtually doubled - not that I mind - but there is a crunch!! Mo cannot assist because she is working and my trusty crew member is only available from Mon 12 to Fri 16th as he and his wife are away that weekend and most of the following week. So I'm looking for someone to assist for all or part of the remainder of the cruise down the Oxford canal and along the Thames to Lechlade. If you are interested in assisting PM 'me' (ie TeeELL) - I've yet to work out the full itinerary (c/o Canalplan AC).

Merry Christmas to you all

TeeELL

OK! I would like to thank those who have already responded via PM's. To answer a couple of questions at a general level:

'ELEMIAH' is fully fitted out so all the necessities of life are on board ie Beer, food, sleeping berth, beer, shower, beer, hot and cold running water, heating, beer and wine. Sleeping for crew member(s) will be on chairs that convert to beds in the saloon (2 off). Crew will need clothes!! sleeping bag, towel etc.

[edited]

Spit Topic to http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=6598

• 3 weeks later...

There are some things you cannot cater for when planning a boat 'relocation' move. OK so KBS have had an enforced delay due to staff illness and that has impacted 'ELEMIAHs' move BUT now my son has been invited down to Swansea University to take a look at the Physics set-up and guess who has to do the running around? Of course the date couldn't be more inappropriate - right in the middle of the week I planned to set off on the 'epic' journey. Ho hum, his future must come first though. There is one piece of good news - Netherton tunnel is now not being closed (BW don't have the funds apparently). So I now need to review the travel dates and it is looking more like the middle of March (at least the weather might be milder). So, for those of you who kindly offered help to crew/lock wheel please take note - I'll be in touch to see if you are still available to assist - only trouble is - the Hatton flight should be open so I'll have no excuse to cruise past Tamworth - sorry Chesh R.

• 2 weeks later...

It never rains but it pours!! I now have to ferry my son, not just to Swansea, but to Leicester the day after. But, more ominous than that, his next scheduled Uni visits are in March right when I'm planning to move 'ELEMIAH'. At this rate I'll not make it to my paid for moorings until the summer payment is due B) . Mind you, with a bit of luck the Thames might have settled down by then 'cos most of the marina was under water last weekend.

Edited by TeeELL

• 3 weeks later...

Well it is finally settled. The agreed completion date and 'hand back' of 'ELEMIAH' is Monday 12th March. On tuesday 13th Wilsons come to fit the cratch sheeting and on Wed 14th I am hoping the carpet fitters come and put down all the carpeting etc. That leaves me 15th and 16th to load the boat will all the essentials. The plan is to leave Brierly Hill either on Sun 18th or Mon 19th for the journey to Lechlade. All the closures should be completed (I'll have to check again to confirm) so the journey should be complete by the following weekend :blink: .

If anyone would like to participate in the journey for a couple of days - or longer I would be pleased to hear from you as my 'regular' assistant is unavailable so it will be just me and Mo.

I will post an itinerary in due course so if anyone is out and about you can give us a wave or share a beer or whatever. I will ask Ade (Moley) if he will act as go between and post updates whilst we journey east and then south to Lechlade.

Cheers all

That leaves me 15th and 16th to load the boat will all the essentials. The plan is to leave Brierley Hill either on Sun 18th or Mon 19th for the journey to Lechlade.

Great stuff, hope to see you some time over that weekend :cheers:

I will ask Ade (Moley) if he will act as go between and post updates whilst we journey east and then south to Lechlade.

No problem, will do.

This is 'first thoughts' on the itinerary care of CanalPlan AC. We are uncertain as to whether we will be able to start on Sun 18th or Mon 19th (with half a days cruising on day one - as below).

Table of overnight stops

This is calculated based on 5 hours travelling before the first overnight stop and 8 full days travelling.

Each full day will be approximately 7 hours and 59 minutes cruising

First day of trip

On the Birmingham Canal Navigations (Main Line) at Bromford Bridge

(9 miles, 1½ flg and 9 locks)

Second day of trip

On the Grand Union Canal (Warwick and Birmingham Canal: widened section - Main Line) at Acock's Green

(11 miles, 4½ flg and 25 locks)

Third day of trip

On the Grand Union Canal (Warwick and Birmingham Canal: widened section - Main Line) at Hatton Lock No 35

(16 miles, 6½ flg and 16 locks)

Fourth day of trip

On the Grand Union Canal (Warwick and Napton Canal) at Itchington Bottom Lock No 13

(11 miles, 5¾ flg and 22 locks)

Fifth day of trip

On the Oxford Canal (Southern Section), a third of the way between Stoneton Bridge No 127 and Ladder Bridge No 129

(11 miles, 5½ flg and 22 locks)

Sixth day of trip

On the Oxford Canal (Southern Section) at Tom Rolt Bridge

(14 miles, 2 flg and 12 locks)

Seventh day of trip

On the Oxford Canal (Southern Section), half way between Dashwood's Lock No 37 and North Brook Lock No 38

(14 miles, 7¾ flg and 8 locks)

Eighth day of trip

On the River Thames (above Oxford), half way between Pinkhill Lock and Bablock Hythe Ferry

(15 miles, 5¼ flg and 10 locks)

Ninth day of trip

On the River Thames (above Oxford) at Ha'penny Bridge Lechlade

(21 miles, 1 flg and 8 locks)

From the above you will be able to trace our route. Moley you will see that we will not be passing your neck of the woods once we leave Brierley Hill - sorry. All I have to do is confirm any closures en-route.

• 4 weeks later...

This is the latest plan for moving 'ELEMIAH'. As previously mentioned KBS will have completed the fitout for 12 March. I have the carpet fitters arriving on Tue 13th, Wilsons fitting the cratch cover on 15th and the journey starting on Friday 16th. I have a crew member to help until the afternoon of mon 19th when Mo will join me to, hopefully, complete the journey. Those of you who have been following my WiFi thread will be aware that I've finally managed to get my Laptop sorted and capable of communicating via WiFi so I might be able to post updates on our progress if our night stops coincide with a 'hot spot'. I guess my next task is to sort out sending data from my laptop via Vodafone for times when 'hot spots' arn't.

Apart from the internet connection - which, frankly is borderline irrelevant - I've got to find all the bits and pieces that really are essential to moving 'ELEMIAH' and, having moved out of Quedgeley finding is the operative word!! Firstly there is the store room at Kinver boat Services - thats easy 'cos its just yards from the boat (essential) and a skip (no longer required). Next comes 'Big Yellow Storage' in Swindon where my 75 sq ft storage cell is literally full to the ceiling - in there are the clothes and other odds and sods, finally Mo's garage with all sorts of bits and bobs like spare ropes, winding handles etc, and her shed - I've got to make up an 'essential' tool kit. All this and, at any moment, I'm expecting a call from my solicitor to sign the contract on my flat!! Boy. I am really, really looking forward to getting my boat back and spending 9 days moving her south. There is no piece for the wicked, lots of friends and relatives are booked for 'days out' on the Thames and we still have to have our 'New Years' Eve' cruise, not to mention the plan to 'do' the K&A later in the year. (Doing the K&A by air is one thing but it has whetted my appetite to take Mo and 'ELEMIAH' with me!!)

Apart from the internet connection - which, frankly is borderline irrelevant - I've got to find all the bits and pieces that really are essential to moving 'ELEMIAH' and, having moved out of Quedgeley finding is the operative word!! Firstly there is the store room at Kinver boat Services - thats easy 'cos its just yards from the boat (essential) and a skip (no longer required). Next comes 'Big Yellow Storage' in Swindon where my 75 sq ft storage cell is literally full to the ceiling - in there are the clothes and other odds and sods, finally Mo's garage with all sorts of bits and bobs like spare ropes, winding handles etc, and her shed - I've got to make up an 'essential' tool kit. All this and, at any moment, I'm expecting a call from my solicitor to sign the contract on my flat!! Boy. I am really, really looking forward to getting my boat back and spending 9 days moving her south. There is no piece for the wicked, lots of friends and relatives are booked for 'days out' on the Thames and we still have to have our 'New Years' Eve' cruise, not to mention the plan to 'do' the K&A later in the year. (Doing the K&A by air is one thing but it has whetted my appetite to take Mo and 'ELEMIAH' with me!!)

Hello Tony

I just thought I would comment here, as we (me'n Alex - Minimoman) saw your boat at KBS yesterday. John and Elaine were still hard at work when we arrived mid-p.m. We thought the maple panels were lovely and you have a very smart boat. KBS made some chairbeds for us and will also be doing some alterations for us later.

Hope your journey to the new mooring goes well - we have our own long journey ahead starting 16 April and it looks like it will be a little longer than originally planned as we keep adding detours!

Just a week to go!! Now I have to start gathering all those boating essentials together ready to load next week. The good weather has been a bonus for KBS as they have fabricated a new set of front doors (you wouldn't believe how the previous set were fitted!!) and fitting them in dry, relatively windless weather is so much easier. Wilsons are due at the boat today to measure up the patterns for the cratch cover and I'm going up to the boat on tuesday to 'supervise' the carpet fitter and start clearing the non-essential stuff from the KBS store room. I've a list of potential WiFi sights en-route but still need to sort out access through my vodafone 'just in case' - I know it's not essential to narrowboating but I'd like to embrace some of this new technology and keep a journal up-to-date before hitting the pub.

Hi everyone - especially those of you familiar with the south Oxford. Our itinerary has us stopping in the heart of Banbury on wednesday night. Any recommendations as to where to stop either in or just south of Banbury? Whilst I remember, monday night has us mooring in the vacinity of neil@canalvoyages who purchased a number of my Boaters Accessory Belts recently.

Edited by TeeELL

Today I went and inspected 'ELEMIAH' now that every thing is done - this afternoon the carpet fitter came and did his thing. At last she looks the business inside - what has really amazed me is the amount of storage space we have - mind you I've not started stowing things away yet.

Tomorrow I go back up and put away all the gear and, over the next week Mo and I will discover all the nuances of the fit out. It has been a long time in completion and rather more money than I had anticipated - but that's boating!!

I hope to be able to keep you updated with our journey down to Lechlade using the wonders of WiFi. I've not managed to sort a connection via my Vodafone mobile though.

Tony

Looking at your itinery, on day 2 I'd suggest you carry on past Acocks Green and overnight at Catherine de Barnes. Good Pub there and your clear of "Bandit Country".

You should then get down the Hatton flight on day 3.

Geoff

Tony,

I've just realised this, so sorry for not noticing earlier.... but I think Hatton is closed until 5pm on the 18th March, with rumours that the work is going to overrun, possibly by another week.

Try 01827 252000 nearer the time. If I hear anything more in the meantime I'll let you know.

Hi everyone - especially those of you familiar with the south Oxford. Our itinerary has us stopping in the heart of Banbury on wednesday night. Any recommendations as to where to stop either in or just south of Banbury? Whilst I remember, monday night has us mooring in the vacinity of neil@canalvoyages who purchased a number of my Boaters Accessory Belts recently.

In the last couple of years I've stopped overnight several times in the centre of Banbury, and had no problems whasoever. They've really tidied up the whole area and they're very good moorings. Like any town-centre mooring you can expect to hear some noises from people (especially when they come out of the pub), and it makes sense to avoid mooring with any part of the boat directy under a footbridge (otherwise you tend to wake up with glass from broken beer-bottles on the roof).

Just one thought, looking at your intinerary, I've always found it quicker and a lot easier to leave Birmingham centre on the Worcester & Birmingham canal, then turn left at Kings Norton on to the northern Stratford, and join the Grand Union at Kingswood Junction. It doesn't get you around any stoppages at Hatton though.

Allan

Edited by Keeping Up
The usual smelling & tryping errrs

In the last couple of years I've stopped overnight several times in the centre of Banbury, and had no problems whasoever. They've really tidied up the whole area and they're very good moorings. Like any town-centre mooring you can expect to hear some noises from people (especially when they come out of the pub), and it makes sense to avoid mooring with any part of the boat directy under a footbridge (otherwise you tend to wake up with glass from broken beer-bottles on the roof).

Yes I moored twice there last summer, outside that club whatever it is, cheap beer in there too and you can't say that very often on the Oxford. The best way to avoid the noise of the revelers is to join them.

I hope to be able to keep you updated with our journey down to Lechlade using the wonders of WiFi. I've not managed to sort a connection via my Vodafone mobile though.

I think you may be optimistic on WiFi. Have you managed a connection with your 3G card yet? We'd hate you to go quiet for a week! (Wouldn't we, guys & gals?)

Allan, thanks for the suggestion but I used to live in Shirley and would quite like to visit 'old haunts' even if it is just passing through. Mind you with neils 'heads up' I may well have to re-adjust the whole plan and go via Tamworth, Nuneaton and Rugby. It isn't a particularly major issue (or it wouldn't be were it not for my flat purchase taking place at the same time!!)

Any how - I must retire, I'm feeling a little shattered having been fed and watered right royally by the Moley family last night, followed by a session in the bar at the Severn Vally Railway station. Plus running around today with my but on fire. Boy I am really looking forward to some slow speed cruising over the next week/10 days.

Good Night all, give us a wave if you see us passing and a knock if we are moored.

Oops, sorry bjornunda, nearly forgot to aknowledge your post. Mind you I'm not sure if your tongue isn't firmly in your cheek!! No, of course not - I'll do my best to 'find' a WiFi connection and post, other wise it'll be done via text through Moley.

Edited by TeeELL

I'm feeling a little shattered having been fed and watered right royally by the Moley family last night, followed by a session in the bar at the Severn Valley Railway station. Plus running around today with my butt on fire.

It was great to see you and thanks for your company. Good luck with the cruise.

Before everyone adds 2 and 2 and makes 6, I did not cook a curry, and I hope the butt reference is about you rushing around like a blue-arsed fly trying to get everything done and finances sorted, and is no reflection on Mrs, Mole's cooking.

Moley,

thank you. The reference was, indeed, to my rushing around being busy. Lynne Mole produced a truly excellent meal and the breakfast you put together was 'just the job' for a hectic day. Again a big thank you to you both. (Sorry I'm doing this electronically but I just havn't the opportunity to sit and write with real writing!!)