Gas suitcase generator

bigcol

Featured Posts

Thats interesting,

I had it in my head that the overall running costs for gas would be cheaper,

I Truly don't know,I've never had one,just presumption, based on cots of gas/petrol !.

Paul i also thought it would be cheaper to run on gas, not so, here is my blog on the test.

http://trishasblogspot.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/the-gas-conversion-result.html

Paul i also thought it would be cheaper to run on gas, not so, here is my blog on the test.

http://trishasblogspot.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/the-gas-conversion-result.html

Well well, that's amazing ,Oh how disappointing for you, so had you have known it's approximately the same as Petrol usage (give

or Take) would you have botherd with the conversation at all ?.

And have you changed your hair again,and lost a few pounds GG.

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/media/164540/bss%20guide%20chap7.pdf

Hi the above link is the testers check list for boat safety

I can't see anything that would stop anyone having a generator on board, run by gas!

Especially if there wasn't gas bottles in facility?

So if one wanted to run his generator he can do s

The BSS safety inspector will be looking for leaks, bad through hull joints, flexi hose, and a flame failure device.

But no open flame.

If the engine is off, then fuel wether petrol or gas is cut off

I've read it twice and I can't see why you couldn't have a gas genny on board, but they will be looking for pipe work issues or faulty appliances.

It's a good long read though,

Col

I agree with Paul, get as bigger alternator, have a second one fitted if possible, get some solar as the cost of a BSS compliant gas locker, piping and all that would seem to make it a none starter. The other thing is to look at ways of saving electric, a kilowatt saved is a kilowatt less you have to generate.

K

Or just buy my boat col,it's all ready got a Generator fitted, go on,take a look in the For Sale Section, you know you want to matey.

Well well, that's amazing ,Oh how disappointing for you, so had you have known it's approximately the same as Petrol usage (give

or Take) would you have botherd with the conversation at all ?.

And have you changed your hair again,and lost a few pounds GG.

yes i would have bought it anyway paul, its alot easier to get gas from a marina than trying to find a garage to get petrol.

Yes I think,if you had a leak from a pipe fitting,in your Engine Bay, Below the Waterline ,from say a Diesel fed Webesto or Eberspacher for example it would be annoying, but very evident, with little around it to ignite it.

Now imagine the same thing with a gas fitting within the Eng bay, Then start your Webesto or Eberspacher up !. I'm sure I'm over thinking the 'What if' scenario but,it's my Home,and the Lifes of the people and animals aboard!.

Sleep tight Col. LOL.

No,I'm sorry Col, not for me.

Col

I think a gas Gen in your eng bay 'Probably' ain't a good idea.

My opinion,,,Just get a Diesel Generator,and run it off your main boat tank.

Or

Run your main under load, upgrade your Small Alternator so you've got two 100/120 amp ish ones Then Fit a bigger Battery bank & a Split charge relay so when you're Bow Thruster Battery is full it helps charge your main.

Then it's just one eng / fuel to worry about.

What will be the MAIN purpose of the Generator usage anyway matey ?.

Hi Paul

1)The generator will only be used to run with washing machine to support battery's, as they will get a hammering from inverter.

2)And to charge battery's. Using combi inverter charger at 70 amps

Other wise I would have to run engine when using washing machine

Whilst running using the 150 amp alternator will replace the power being taken from the battery's by the inverter.

I also now realise that if the battery's go flat when I'm out on the cut, which I am now, sitting here running engine forms hour every evening, hopefully when I set of tomorrow to three locks or near, my bow thruster will work lol

Which as folks and for a special few who helped me with the bow thruster charging, warned me this might happen.

Omg. Boat powering is not as easy as I thought. Back to filling a isolated circuit thingy to stop my BT battery's at the front being flattened when using domestics.

To be fair I need to pay for a electrician to come down have a look, and advise me,

Also regards to what your getting at, Do I need a genny.!!!!!

Everyone else has one, so surely I need one, if not the inverter will surely kill my battery's .

I feel as though I'm being a pest to you all now, my heads going round in circles, especially after trawling through the BSS check list!!

And I realise medication is not doing me any favours today,fluffing my thoughts

Col

Edited by bigcol

There are 3 safety factors to be aware of when running generators on or near boats:

1) Fuel leaks and spillages - petrol fumes or LPG are both heavier than air and care should be taken to prevent this on a boat where the fumes will sink into the bilges just waiting for an ignition source.

2) Carbon monoxide - can enter the boat through open windows and vents if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction. And if the wind is blowing in the right diection it may enter neighbour's boats!

3) Electrical safety - many people use unearthed suitcase generators to run entire ring mains systems on steel boats and they are therefore relying on the generator's floating earth which was not designed for such applications. The MCB or RCBO breakers on boats may require N-E bonding and proper earthing to function properly and the safety feature on most suitcase generators consists of a simple unbonded floating earth.

Edited by blackrose

No Col, Not a pest at all.

That's what forums are for, throwing a few ideas around, many heads different views, no all good, Even if you was to get negative comments, it doesn't mean they are wrong, you keep um comming.

And by the way Good Gurl, I ment your Avatar ref hair ect. Looking Good.

Good Advice Sir Phil, Can we spare a Virtual Donut from the stores to keep his sugar levels up do you think !. (Only a jam one mind you,we don't want to spoil him)

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2

Like I said, if there is a leak you have an engine'ole full of gas with no means of escape.

Phil

Hi Phil totally under stand this, I don't like gas, but the alternative is petrol. In a ideal world I would be buying a diesel genny. We all would. But so expensive for a proper marine one, or portable unit to big

But surely any boat, might have, a faulty hob, oven,joint or gas fridge if faulty,or worn joint, gas will leak into all boats,

whether below the kitchen of saloon floor, gas gos to the lowest place, maybe the bilge

This is why we pay for a gas certification, or BSS certificult.

Also must which I will have installed sooner that later a gas bubble tester.

Col

Edited by bigcol

I also now realise that if the battery's go flat when I'm out on the cut, which I am now, sitting here running engine forms hour every evening, hopefully when I set of tomorrow to three locks or near, my bow thruster will work lol

Which as folks and for a special few who helped me with the bow thruster charging, warned me this might happen.

Omg. Boat powering is not as easy as I thought. Back to filling a isolated circuit thingy to stop my BT battery's at the front being flattened when using domestics.

The output from my 70amp auxillary alternator is split between the start and BT batteries with a BEP 100amp voltage sensitive relay. I don't use the BT that much and only in 5 second blips, but I've never run out of BT battery power. I don't understand why so many boats split the chage to the BT batteries from the domestic bank? The start battery doesn't need as much charge so surely it's better to have a dedicated alternator to the domestics and split the auxillary aternator between the start batteries and BT batteries?

Everyone else has one, so surely I need one, as the inverter will kill my battery's .

Contrary to popular belief inverters don't kill batteries. It's the appliances used from the inverter that kill batteries. The difference may seem pedantic but it's not the inverter that's consuming the vast majority of battery power, it's the power for the electric kettle that some idiots must assume is being magically created by the inverter! They don't seem to understand that the power ultimately comes from the batteries.

Edited by blackrose

I could be wrong but as the gas is directly injected into the genny the only flame is when the genny is on its firing stroke and that flame is inside the cylinder. No flame failure device is needed. I could be wrong but in this case I think not. The only problem I can see with the BSS is that if there was a leak there is nowhere for the gas to go so it would just sit in the engine 'ole. Take guidence from the BSS office on this.

Phil

Hi again Phil

This to me seems right.

I have emailed BSS at MK, and will let everyone know the outcome.

Thank you for your input and time,

Col

good god col, the size of your roof you could fill it with solar and never have to worry again, except in winter of course, yes paul new hair do and name change (florence)

col read my solar blog on washing here http://trishasblogspot.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/washing-on-solar-power-alone.html

Edited by GoodGurl
  • Greenie 1

There are 3 safety factors to be aware of when running generators on or near boats:

1) Fuel leaks and spillages - petrol fumes or LPG are both heavier than air and care should be taken to prevent this on a boat where the fumes will sink into the bilges just waiting for an ignition source.

2) Carbon monoxide - can enter the boat through open windows and vents if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction. And if the wind is blowing in the right diection it may enter neighbour's boats!

3) Electrical safety - many people use unearthed suitcase generators to run entire ring mains systems on steel boats and they are therefore relying on the generator's floating earth which was not designed for such applications. The MCB or RCBO breakers on boats may require N-E bonding and proper earthing to function properly and the safety feature on most suitcase generators consists of a simple unbonded floating earth.

1) the extra pipe work with valve will be installed by gas safe engineer

2) I have I carob monoxide and 5 angel fire alarms, I will install another carbon monoxide alarm

3) again this could be done by electricain, who carried out my boat safety a year ago

Thanks Blackrose for these 3 pointers

So if anyone has read or knows the gas safety check list, if the above 3 pointers are covered,

what's the difference between gas oven, hob fridge with open flame and a sealed generator.

I've frazzled my self, and bored you all today.

Tomorrow I get my answer from BSS, and will ask questions and that be the end of it. Hopefully they will have a answer.

Who mentioned gas ? I was looking at diesel lol

Ps good gurl nice site!!

Col

Edited for really bad spelling

Edited by bigcol

Col,

Have a quick read of a thread a few down from this one, also in the 'Equipment' board started by Theo 'Inverter to run a washing machine'. The whole thread is worth a glance or two, particularly Page two.

Let me know what you think.

Also Col, if you have a look at the picture in the I think Off-topic Gallery, my Mastervolt Generator Control Panel Counter is clearly visible, at 355 ish hrs,in 6 years !.

That's how little I use it !.

Wind, Solar, Up Graded Alternators & Simply Using my boat,seems to work just fine for me and my Livaboard Cruising Lifestyle.

Hi there

Haven't had a Answer yet, they proberly are busy,

Hopefully get a answer back tomorrow

And no my names not sharon lol

Col

Dear Sharon,

Thank you for contacting the Boat Safety Scheme Office. We have received your message and the appropriate member of BSS Office will be notified of your correspondence and reply accordingly.

Yours sincerely

Graham Watts

Manager

Boat Safety Scheme Office

C&RT - First Floor North

Station House

500 Elder Gate

Milton Keynes MK9 1BB

T.0333 202 1000

Your message:

Name Sharon

Email Colin-sharon@hotmail.com

Subject Gas generator

Message Hi there Have a 2008 replica barge, and want to fir using existing gas supply, a gas generator in the engine room. The gas bottles are in the front locker with vent, all the pipe work through the boat has been checked and have a gas safety cert, Is this okay for BSS Colin

Upload a relevant file

File 2

File 3

We like queries, but not spam. Please take the anti-spam ReCaptcha challenge to submit your query. Many thanks. BSS team

http://www.boatsafetys

Edited by bigcol

Thought - will they know what you mean by a gas generator. It would lead me to imagine something similar to the wood burning gas generators used on modified cars in WWII to power them in lieu of petrol.

A suitcase AC generator with LPG conversion might be a better description.

Edited by by'eck