Lancaster Canal or Leeds & Liverpool Canal

Featured Posts

Hi all,

We are looking at spending summer going up the Lancaster canal to Carnforth or the Leeds & Liverpool canal to Skipton and can't decide which one.

Does anyone have any highlights or things to avoid, like maybe dodgy areas or anything.

We don't mind piles of locks etc and are split 50/50 between the two so any recommendations would be hugely helpful.

Thanks

Frank

Hi all,

We are looking at spending summer going up the Lancaster canal to Carnforth or the Leeds & Liverpool canal to Skipton and can't decide which one.

Does anyone have any highlights or things to avoid, like maybe dodgy areas or anything.

We don't mind piles of locks etc and are split 50/50 between the two so any recommendations would be hugely helpful.

Thanks

Frank

I know the British summer is short but I don't think you'd be able to spin the Lancaster canal for even a British summer, 45 miles no locks, even allowing for a trip to Glasson dock it's good for 2 weeks maximum. Don't get me wrong it is very, very nice if a bit twee in parts but unless you wasn't somewhere to veg out and relax you'll find the Lanky a bit quiet

L&L up to Skipton and the Lanky are entirely different kettles of fish, personally I'd do the L&L.

K

is Lancaster lock-free?

The main line is lock free but the bit to Glasson has locks.

I know the British summer is short but I don't think you'd be able to spin the Lancaster canal for even a British summer, 45 miles no locks, even allowing for a trip to Glasson dock it's good for 2 weeks maximum. Don't get me wrong it is very, very nice if a bit twee in parts but unless you wasn't somewhere to veg out and relax you'll find the Lanky a bit quiet

L&L up to Skipton and the Lanky are entirely different kettles of fish, personally I'd do the L&L.

K

I was about to post to ask about the section to Glasson and you seem to know a bit about it Kevini.

How long is it and is it worth doing? Any info would be appreciated. We have a boat booked from Easter Monday for the rest of the week.

Sounding like it may be the Leeds and Liverpool canal so far.

Has anyone had any "interesting" experiences going through some of the towns, such as Blackburn etc. I know everywhere has good and bad places but I just wondered if there were many places to avoid stopping in. That's not to say that Blackburn is, it was just a random name picked off the top of my head.

Blackburn, Burnley and Nelson are no worse than any other urban areas. The heritage canalside buildings close to the Weaver's Triangle in Burnley are currently being renovated and we had the Queen, Prince Phillip and Prince Charles visit a couple of years ago on a widebeam! The canal was cleaned to within an inch of its life for their visit. Certainly it's been much improved over the past few years.

All three of these towns suffer from the usual urban rubbish problem but you're through them so quickly that you soon forget about it. For moorings actually in the towns I'd only ever use The Inn on the Wharf in Burnley or Eanam Wharf in Blackburn - both very safe. I also regularly see boats moored on the embankment in Burnley but that isn't somewhere we'd choose to moor, being far too close to the town centre. I've never heard of anyone having any trouble there though...there's a massive Tesco just down some steps, so it's a good place to stock up on essentials. There's also an offside Morrison's in Nelson with moorings - the store is accessed by a gate opened by a BW key.

Just a short distance out of Burnley there are excellent visitor moorings at the top of Barrowford locks....near to Blackburn the Top Lock at Wheelton is superb. Great beer and good curries! Between Blackburn and Burnley there are some lovely moorings out in the countryside with views down the valley (between Clayton-le-Moors and Hapton).

The only problems we've ever had (and we've cruised it several times) were a carpet wrapped round the prop in Burnley a few years ago and low water levels at Blackburn locks, easily solved by running some water down from the top lock. No problems at all the past few times we've done it. We've had worse problems in some of the nicest areas!

The stretch between Barnoldswick and Skipton is simply breathtakingly beautiful...you're simply spoilt for choice when it comes to quiet, safe moorings...and a few good pubs along the way! If you do it, you simply must go to the famous pie shop in Skipton, just a short walk up the Springs Branch...pork pies to die for!

I'm by no means an expert on the Leeds and Liverpool, but as I said, we've cruised it several times and I also used to work doing handovers for a hire company based at Barnoldswick. The cruise with the new hirers to Greenberfield Locks at the weekends was always fun and I could never tire of the scenery.

If you've any specific questions, please feel free to PM me or reply on here, but I'm sure there will be loads more knowledgeable folk along shortly...

Janet

I was about to post to ask about the section to Glasson and you seem to know a bit about it Kevini.

How long is it and is it worth doing? Any info would be appreciated. We have a boat booked from Easter Monday for the rest of the week.

Glasson dock is the best bit, 3 miles 6 locks. The Basin is usually full of sail boats, get a bacon butty from the bikers' caravan and a wander round the actual dock bit (after the sea lock). Few minutes walk to the (multi-award winning) smoke house pick up some smoked eel or rabbit then a pint in the Vic, beats Roy's thatched hamlet any time unless ice cream and pizza is your thinglaugh.png

We spent the best part of a year on the Lancaster (without going down to Glasson Docks) and it's marvellous. We did the Morcambe Bay walk from Hest Bank, spent a fantastic day in Lancaster itself visiting the castle and had some great walks and pub visits from various other parts of the canal. If you decide to take that option PM me, I'll dig out my Nicholsons and recommend walks/pubs (it was 2010/11 so my memory's getting a bit hazy)

Saying that, if you haven't booked the Ribble Link, unless there's a hire company on the Lanky you're stuck with the L&L.

Not such a dreadful scenario - the approach to Skipton is one of my favourite places on the canal network. I still regret not making it as far as the Bingley 5 rise - there's a lot on a to do list still unaccomplished and the north eastern waterways are top of our list.

Whichever you choose will be fantastic - enjoy!

A year on the Lancaster Ange I hope you weren't claiming to be CC'erslaugh.png. Like I said in post 5 "it is very, very nice if a bit twee in parts but unless you wasn't somewhere to veg out and relax" by relax I might have implied doing other than keeping to the CC regulations, but I'm sure you can make a continuous journey round the system in 45 miles of canal over a year due to the more leisurely pace on the Lanky.

K

A year on the Lancaster Ange I hope you weren't claiming to be CC'erslaugh.png. Like I said in post 5 "it is very, very nice if a bit twee in parts but unless you wasn't somewhere to veg out and relax" by relax I might have implied doing other than keeping to the CC regulations, but I'm sure you can make a continuous journey round the system in 45 miles of canal over a year due to the more leisurely pace on the Lanky.

K

I would say 45 miles was fine for those boats declared "without a home mooring" it took me 3 months to go from Preston to Tewitfield.

Janet S, on 07 Apr 2014 - 8:21 PM, said:

Blackburn, Burnley and Nelson are no worse than any other urban areas. The heritage canalside buildings close to the Weaver's Triangle in Burnley are currently being renovated and we had the Queen, Prince Phillip and Prince Charles visit a couple of years ago on a widebeam! The canal was cleaned to within an inch of its life for their visit. Certainly it's been much improved over the past few years.

All three of these towns suffer from the usual urban rubbish problem but you're through them so quickly that you soon forget about it. For moorings actually in the towns I'd only ever use The Inn on the Wharf in Burnley or Eanam Wharf in Blackburn - both very safe. I also regularly see boats moored on the embankment in Burnley but that isn't somewhere we'd choose to moor, being far too close to the town centre. I've never heard of anyone having any trouble there though...there's a massive Tesco just down some steps, so it's a good place to stock up on essentials. There's also an offside Morrison's in Nelson with moorings - the store is accessed by a gate opened by a BW key.

Just a short distance out of Burnley there are excellent visitor moorings at the top of Barrowford locks....near to Blackburn the Top Lock at Wheelton is superb. Great beer and good curries! Between Blackburn and Burnley there are some lovely moorings out in the countryside with views down the valley (between Clayton-le-Moors and Hapton).

The only problems we've ever had (and we've cruised it several times) were a carpet wrapped round the prop in Burnley a few years ago and low water levels at Blackburn locks, easily solved by running some water down from the top lock. No problems at all the past few times we've done it. We've had worse problems in some of the nicest areas!

The stretch between Barnoldswick and Skipton is simply breathtakingly beautiful...you're simply spoilt for choice when it comes to quiet, safe moorings...and a few good pubs along the way! If you do it, you simply must go to the famous pie shop in Skipton, just a short walk up the Springs Branch...pork pies to die for!

I'm by no means an expert on the Leeds and Liverpool, but as I said, we've cruised it several times and I also used to work doing handovers for a hire company based at Barnoldswick. The cruise with the new hirers to Greenberfield Locks at the weekends was always fun and I could never tire of the scenery.

If you've any specific questions, please feel free to PM me or reply on here, but I'm sure there will be loads more knowledgeable folk along shortly...

Janet

This /\

We have yet to do the Lanky by boat so couldn't honestly say it's better or worse but for sure you will not be disappointed if you go for the L&L option as opposed to the Lanky.

Wigan Blackburn and Burnley are all a bit unloved except by the sterling work that the towpath taskforce do. Elsewhere the L&L can be quite stunning.

Try to get thru these places quickly especially if its school holiday time. The Wigan Flight is long and arduous and best done in pairs - many hands make light work. It is suffering from some idiot opening paddles and dewatering the pounds at the moment but CRT are on the case.

Blackburn has had problems with a cill but again this will be sorted soon I believe.

In Burnley the advise is usually dont more on the straight mile.

In between excellent - Adlington - Duxbury - Botany - Top Lock or Bottom Lock Johnsons - Heapey - West of Rishton - Everywhere east of Nelson.

Have a nice Trip

I know both these canals very well, not much to add regarding the Leeds Liverpool but I agree its way more interesting than the Lancaster. What you could do on the Lanky though is when you get to Tewitfield have a walk up the disused Northern Reaches section towards Kendal - you can do most of it on the old towpath and it is very pleasant apart from the bits where you have to cross the M6.

I would say 45 miles was fine for those boats declared "without a home mooring" it took me 3 months to go from Preston to Tewitfield.

Here Here, what's the rush....

This /\

We have yet to do the Lanky by boat so couldn't honestly say it's better or worse but for sure you will not be disappointed if you go for the L&L option as opposed to the Lanky.

True, you won't be disappointed, but, if you have the chance to cross the Ribble Link then go for it because it's a fantastic crossing. There are rumors it may close soon as, the 10yr period clause of remaining open due to being funded by lottery money, which built it is about to expire.

Here Here, what's the rush....

True, you won't be disappointed, but, if you have the chance to cross the Ribble Link then go for it because it's a fantastic crossing. There are rumors it may close soon as, the 10yr period clause of remaining open due to being funded by lottery money, which built it is about to expire.

I spoke to Vince Moran about this and he assured me that the dredging will continue.

You might also be interested to know that the North has the greatest percentage of Maintance funding for 2014/15

Wow, more information than I could have hoped for and all very inspiring. Well, I agree, it looks like the Lancaster is prob out due due us not having booked a Ribble crossing, but hey, the L&L sounds great and we now can't wait to get up there.

I would like to thank you all for your posts, it was just what we needed. And Janet, I'm sure I will PM you at some point for info, and will gladly buy you a pint if we pass you to say thanks.

You can stop off for the night at Reedley marina and get fuel, pump out etc and it has a nice cafe & bar.

Its a nice place to moor with views of Pendle hill and rolling countywide and is located in-between Burnley & Nelson on the L&L.

I know both these canals very well, not much to add regarding the Leeds Liverpool but I agree its way more interesting than the Lancaster. What you could do on the Lanky though is when you get to Tewitfield have a walk up the disused Northern Reaches section towards Kendal - you can do most of it on the old towpath and it is very pleasant apart from the bits where you have to cross the M6.

Some photos I took from my walk up the Northern Reaches

K

Er - yes we are cc'ers - nowt wrong with pootling and properly exploring an area :)

I didn't start keeping a diary until the following year (which I'm quite cross with myself about now) but I recall being in Lancaster for my birthday in October having crossed over to the Lanky at the end of July - two months for Preston to Lancaster fits with your timetable.

I might have posted our whereabouts regularly on Facebook - there's a thought - I might be able to construct a rough diary of our Lancaster Canal visit.

• 2 weeks later...

I think if you have not booked crossing on Ribble yet you will be left with your Skipton option

We were planning on doing both. Just how much notice is needed to cross to the Lancaster? any body know & what about coming back, I hate being boxed in!!!

We were planning on doing both. Just how much notice is needed to cross to the Lancaster? any body know & what about coming back, I hate being boxed in!!!

You should find all you need on the link below, don't forget to check your insurance too.

K

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/canals-and-rivers/ribble-link