Any one around stoke on Trent

Miemie

Featured Posts

Hi every one we live in stoke and are looking to move from land to water. Just wondering if any of you around stoke that I can meet and have a chat to in person. We (hubby and I) are newbies and would like to pick your brains about everything and anything about boating.

Thanks Kim

I used to live in Stoke, but I'm now on the cut in London.

Do you have any experience of boating at all? If not, then you really need to hire a boat for a while (preferably in the Winter) to get an idea of what it's like and whether you can cope, as even with the best will in the world, nobody can explain the feeling of accidentally dropping the cap off the cassette into the Elsan point. Or the feeling of just how cold and wet it can be falling into the canal through the ice when you misjudge the distance of the boat from the bank..

Or, the sheer joy of a horrible evening when you're sitting there all warm and snug in the cabin with the stove going flat out, with the rain pouring down all round. Or the beauty of seeing the vertical stream of smoke from your stove as you walk back on a perfectly still, frosty evening after a nice night in the pub, knowing that the kettle you left on the stove will be full of hot water for a mug of coffee.

There's a community of boaters round the marina at Festival park, if that's any help, though I don;t know where they hang out in the evenings. Probably the nearest pub with real ale....

Yes john I am a newby and yes I would like to hire a boat first live on it then decided to buy but there is not many boats to hire around here for long term we have hired a boat for the coming fortnight but to be realistic you could not afford the prices for 6 months or a year constant.

Davidc that would be brilliant will take you up on the offer once we get back from our two week stint we have hired one from stone and I am like a child I just can't wait anymore this week is going drag

Edited by Miemie

A`fortnight will give you a taste, and if you find you can't cope, then at least you've not lost a lot.

If you can afford a temporary arrangement, if you buy a boat now, keep it for a while, and resell it later, you shouldn't lose any more than renting for a few months would cost. There are a couple of decent brokers near you.

There used to be a bunch of really friendly boaters who moored outside the China garden pub-marina on the towpath. My cousin used to winter there, early 1990's, But I expect its all changed there now with all the usual mooring restrictions and goodness knows what now in force. I painted his boat under one of the old Sheldon steelworks canopies that spanned the canal.

The only person I know of there now is old Mr Brindley, he's stood upon a plinth opposite the sanitary station, but he's a bit of a misery these days or shy and won't say anything. He stands stock still all the time as if he's a statue, he must get ever so stiff and weary especially when the weathers bad..

Yes john I am a newby and yes I would like to hire a boat first live on it then decided to buy but there is not many boats to hire around here for long term we have hired a boat for the coming fortnight but to be realistic you could not afford the prices for 6 months or a year constant.

Davidc that would be brilliant will take you up on the offer once we get back from our two week stint we have hired one from stone and I am like a child I just can't wait anymore this week is going drag

pop round any sat sun to the marina just ask at reception you are looking for david NB monty

(except weekend mothering sunday )

Were moored at Barlastone just by the Wedgewood museum at the moment - though we'll be moving on soon. If you want to pop round tomorrow or Tuesday evening after 7pm we'll be happy to answer any of your questions.

Were moored at Barlastone just by the Wedgewood museum at the moment - though we'll be moving on soon. If you want to pop round tomorrow or Tuesday evening after 7pm we'll be happy to answer any of your questions.

Awwww thanks ange will see if I am home and will let u know during the week it's a bit hectic with work and all but hope to be able pop around

pop round any sat sun to the marina just ask at reception you are looking for david NB monty(except weekend mothering sunday )

thanks David will deff let you know can't wait to start this new journey

If you take on Ange's offer you'll be in good hands. As I was when they showed me the ropes last year.

Thank you my friend hug.gif

Awwww thanks ange will see if I am home and will let u know during the week it's a bit hectic with work and all but hope to be able pop around

thanks David will deff let you know can't wait to start this new journey

No worries - if it suits pay us a visit, if not how about coming along to the Gnosall banter Easter weekend? Here's a linky

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=59571&page=1

That's where we're setting off for next week. A banter is an event where a bunch of boaters and boating enthusiasts meet up, drink lots of beer if that is their wont (not compulsory) and talk a lot. It's the ideal opportunity to meet with lots of boaters and have a chat.

I know we were intimidated by our first banter (it's horrible walking into a pub when you're meeting a bunch of people you've never met before) so we can exchange mobile numbers by PM and I'd be happy to meet you outside and introduce you.

Im from Stoke and fingers crossed if all goes to plan we hope to be buying a boat and moving to Overwater.

Lizziebeth we are also looking at buying one but going on a holiday tomorrow to start our journey btw where is overwater

Enjoy your trip!!!!!!!!!!

Don't let the little mishaps put you off. Literally evey one of us here got things wrong at first, and still make mistakes now. Treat the 'incidents' as stories to keep to tell us when you get back. Do come back to say how you got on. We sometimes get a bit stuck in Moany mode, and it's great to be reminded what the canals look like through fresh eyes.

On the first day, you’ll be thinking ”I'll never get the hang of this, we shouldn't have come".

By the second week, you'll be thinking "It's not fair! Someone else will be on our boat next week".

The funny thing is, you won't be able to remember the point where you changed your mind.

Overwater is an extremely well run marina at Audlem on the Shroppie

http://www.overwatermarina.co.uk/

eta: welcome to the forum y'all hope your boat hunts go well

thanks we hope we will get our boat but the hunting for it is fun I'm sure I will eventually get fed up but at this stage we enjoying it

If you're hirering from the boat yard in Stone, say hello from me please. Just say that that mad Dutch guy who bought the burnt out BCN boat 4 years ago sends his regards. They are a great bunch there.

Yes that is where we hiring from and will send your regards....lol

Enjoy your trip!!!!!!!!!!

Don't let the little mishaps put you off. Literally evey one of us here got things wrong at first, and still make mistakes now. Treat the 'incidents' as stories to keep to tell us when you get back. Do come back to say how you got on. We sometimes get a bit stuck in Moany mode, and it's great to be reminded what the canals look like through fresh eyes.

On the first day, you’ll be thinking ”I'll never get the hang of this, we shouldn't have come".

By the second week, you'll be thinking "It's not fair! Someone else will be on our boat next week".

The funny thing is, you won't be able to remember the point where you changed your mind.

I'm sure there will be plenty mishaps just hope it will be ok...can't wait but dreading doing owt wrong but I'm sure I will get the hang of it soon going be awesome thanks every one for the comments I already feel part of the community xxx