four counties ring

D Rowley

Featured Posts

hello everybody

i am new to this forum and would like to say how good the info is

we are going on a canal holiday ( first time on the canals. we have had cruisers on the broads )from the anglo welsh base in great haywood next September 22-29 and would like to do the four counties ring.

the crew is me 40, sister 46 and brother in law 49

having seen other threads in this forum some say its doable in a week and some say not

we will not be stopping off at every pub along the way just the odd village so don't mind a good bit of cruising.

we would be doing it clockwise and i would be gratefull of any info ie:- points to get to for the night.

i would love to do the ring but part of me thinks its a bit ambisious for the first time and just do a there and back to past market drayton but then i think its not much farther to do the full ring

any pionters would be gratefull

Well hi, D Rowley from Churchstoke (I told you other lot that there were usually some good beer offers at Harry Tuffin's, this guy can back me up) and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to go off topic straight away, but it is Fridaaay, and we tend to discuss beer, a lot.

Back to the subject in hand:

There will be plenty who will tell you the ring is do-able in a week, but it all depends on how much you are prepared to do each day. We did it as first-timers, quite comfortably in 9 or 10 days (two week hire, and we took a detour).

Bear in mind that if you've got the boat for a week, that's only really 6 days' cruising, because you probably won't get far the first afternoon/evening.

I'm quite sure we could do the route again in 6 days, but I'm not sure if I'd want to.

If you don't set yourselves too tight a schedule you will probably enjoy it more (and then have to buy a boat and join us here full-time, like wot we done).

Hi D Rowley

First off all welcome to the forum.

The Four Counties ring, according to Pearson's Canal Companion (Four Counties Ring) is, 109 miles, 94 locks, and will take 55 hours travelling

So if you have one week (6 days, you lose at least half of the first day and have to return boat early on the last) that is about 9.25 hours per day

and like wise two weeks (13 days) that is 4.25 hours per day.

The ring is do-able in one week but 9.25 hours per day is a lot and 6 days in a row.

Scenario: rise at 7, breakfast, move off at 8, travel for 4.5hours till 12-30, lunch till 1-30, set off for another 4.5 hours tie -up at 6.

This could be possible but you will not have time to sight-see (except whilst you actually travel)

You are supposed to be on holiday do you fancy working 9 hours per day.

The advice I was given, when I first boated was about 6 hours per day at the most, nice and relaxing.

Try and get one of the guides, Nicholson or Pearson for the canal you wish to travel, it will tell you all that is available and you can work out where you need to be each day, so the return to the marina is not rushed.

thanks for the advice

i know Harry Tuffins well as i work there

i have got the nicholsons guide and i have downloaded the canal guides from the BW web site

i just think on one hand do the ring 8.5 - 9 hrs per day

on the friday we have not got to get the boat back till early sat morning so it could be a full day cruising on the friday

then on the other hand i think do a there and back (past market drayton ) 7hrs a day

then i think a few hours more a day and you could do the ring

i will have to see nearer the time

thanks again

David

We plan to do the ring next year for the first time and we have the nicholsons guide and maps etc. They clearly list the pubs and overnight moorings etc. but the best information you can possibly get is word of mouth from folks that have done it before.

I say that because what we all want to know is - where are the safe places to spend the night? The World has changed and not for the better.

We chose a route for a trip last year and had all our night stops planned out from the book guide. Then when we arrived at them we discovered we were the only boat there and the place did not look the safest of places to spend a night alone so we pushed on for a few more tireing and anxious hours to find a safer place.

So starting as I will from Etruria (Trent & Mersey) where are the safe overnight stops where we will have company of other boaters. A pubs a bonus but not a neccesity as the bilges will be full of the stuff hic hic :P

Hi Rowley.

The first trip I ever made and my one and only hire boat holiday was doing the Four Counties. It is a nice, though busy 7/6 day trip. Almost entirely rural and no grotty bits. Take care however a few months after my trip I was the owner of a narrowboat shell and looking at 3 years hard toil.

I don't go along with Bottles theory about 9 hour 'working days', if you see boating as work you may be better off sitting on a beach for a week.

Edited by John Orentas

Hi

I may be guilty of slightly over emphasizing the working bit :P but this is David's first trip on a canal boat.

If he steers all the time then yes it will be an easy trip for him but think of the poor crew. :P

I have often done nine hour days and enjoyed it (must ask the wife, if she did) but not six in a row.

David, I did forget to give the warning about getting your own boat, very remiss of me.

Whatever you decide to do I am sure it will be a great holiday, just do not try to do to much.

9 hour days are not good if you're on a holiday - if you fancy stopping off somewhere for a few hours you won't be able to make up the time another day. Or if you haev a heavy night in a pub - knowing you have to get up early the next morning puts a major downer on things, thats without thinking about the day when it just decides to descend from the heavens and all you want to do is find a nice warm log fire in a pub somewhere...

Aim for 6 or so hours a day and relax and have fun - get really into the way things should be. trying to do too much really offers you the opportunity to spoil the holiday as you know you just have to be here by then and to get there I need to be there by then which means I can't be here now...

Of course this is all just my opinion but - if you don't want the family to get the bug - go for a 10 hour day... :P

Simes.

Edited by twoputtyrats

Hi David,

I'm only just down the road from you.

We basically did the 4 Counties Ring in October, but added a bit extra.

We started from Fradley, went up to Middlewich, across to Nantwich, down to Autherley Junction, and then instead of going back up the Staffs and Worcs, went up the Wolverhampton 21, through the centre of Brum, onto the Coventry, up the Fazeley Junction and back to Fradley.

We did that in an easy 2 weeks, with just the 2 of us, but we have been boating for 30 years now, so think we know what we are doing.

Would say that just the 4 Counties Ring, for a beginner, would be hard work in a week. Remember that part of the fun of a canal holiday is to slow down and chill out. Much better to do it in 2 weeks!

If you want a chat, PM me for my number.

Edited by Graham Davis

We plan to do the ring next year for the first time and we have the nicholsons guide and maps etc. They clearly list the pubs and overnight moorings etc. but the best information you can possibly get is word of mouth from folks that have done it before.

I say that because what we all want to know is - where are the safe places to spend the night? The World has changed and not for the better.

We chose a route for a trip last year and had all our night stops planned out from the book guide. Then when we arrived at them we discovered we were the only boat there and the place did not look the safest of places to spend a night alone so we pushed on for a few more tireing and anxious hours to find a safer place.

So starting as I will from Etruria (Trent & Mersey) where are the safe overnight stops where we will have company of other boaters. A pubs a bonus but not a neccesity as the bilges will be full of the stuff hic hic :rolleyes:

Firstly, I don't think you will have trouble in being safe anywhere on the FC's ring, the vast majority of it is rural with the only real potentially dodgy area being your starting point of Stoke. I have to say though that we have passed through Stoke many times without the slightest bit of trouble.

Secondly just because there are no other boats at your mooring is not necessarily a bad thing. Boats tend to congregate at pubs and other facilities, but many an enjoyable night can be spent on your own in a lovely rural spot.

Travelling anti-clockwise from Etruria, here is a list of the places we have moored on the FC's and enjoyed them all for different reasons:

• South end Harecastle tunnel
  • Hassall Green visitor mooring - Romping Donkey pub
  • Middlewich - on the edge of town visitors moorings on the branch of the shroppie
  • At the top of the next lock
  • Between bridges 12 and 13
  • Barbridge junction afterv turning left - pub with cheap food
  • Nantwich visitor moorings
  • Coole Pilate visitor moorings
  • Audlam locks - pubs, but busy
  • Market Drayton visitor moorings - all facilities
  • Wheaton Aston
  • Brewood
  • Staffs and Worcs - Gailey, best below top lock
  • Penkridge - all facilities
  • Tixall wide
  • Trent and Mersey - Sandon, Dog and Doublet pub

Firstly, I don't think you will have trouble in being safe anywhere on the FC's ring, the vast majority of it is rural with the only real potentially dodgy area being your starting point of Stoke. I have to say though that we have passed through Stoke many times without the slightest bit of trouble.

Secondly just because there are no other boats at your mooring is not necessarily a bad thing. Boats tend to congregate at pubs and other facilities, but many an enjoyable night can be spent on your own in a lovely rural spot.

Travelling anti-clockwise from Etruria, here is a list of the places we have moored on the FC's and enjoyed them all for different reasons:

• Middlewich - on the edge of town visitors moorings on the branch of the shroppie
  • Wheaton Aston
  • Brewood
  • Tixall wide

Thanks for that Casper, cant wait to get christmas and the new year out the way then we can all start counting the days to the next wonderful season.

I would agree with Caspar.

There are one or two spots in Stoke and Wolverhampton which I might be a bit wary of, but otherwise it is a beautiful rural canal route.

A few points from my local area:

Good Indian a short walk from Nantwich Aqueduct - The Indian Ocean. Beware mooring outside the Shroppie Fly in Audlem on a Friday Night - (shouldn't affect you) - it can be very noisy - good quiet moorings above the road bridge. Both the Barbridge and the Jolly Tar at Barbridge Junction do reasonable 2 for £10 bar meals - the gammon steak is worth having. I prefer to moor above Stanthorne Lock if stopping near Middlewich, or a bit further on above the Flashes, but the moorings just above Wardle lock are reasonably safe and quiet. The pub in Church Minshull is now boarded up and looks permanently closed. Don't be put off by horror stories about "Heartbreak Hill", This flight is well spread out and the locks fill quickly. As for Audlem flight, - if you send one crew member ahead to set the next lock you will have an easy passage. The nice Italian restaurant in Wheelock has now closed.

We did the ring last time in a leisurely nine days. 6 and a bit is feasible, but you won't have time to look round. If you can book a ten day trip you will enjoy it a lot more.

I would agree with Caspar.

There are one or two spots in Stoke and Wolverhampton which I might be a bit wary of, but otherwise it is a beautiful rural canal route.

A few points from my local area:

Good Indian a short walk from Nantwich Aqueduct - The Indian Ocean. Beware mooring outside the Shroppie Fly in Audlem on a Friday Night - (shouldn't affect you) - it can be very noisy - good quiet moorings above the road bridge. Both the Barbridge and the Jolly Tar at Barbridge Junction do reasonable 2 for £10 bar meals - the gammon steak is worth having. I prefer to moor above Stanthorne Lock if stopping near Middlewich, or a bit further on above the Flashes, but the moorings just above Wardle lock are reasonably safe and quiet. The pub in Church Minshull is now boarded up and looks permanently closed. Don't be put off by horror stories about "Heartbreak Hill", This flight is well spread out and the locks fill quickly. As for Audlem flight, - if you send one crew member ahead to set the next lock you will have an easy passage. The nice Italian restaurant in Wheelock has now closed.

We did the ring last time in a leisurely nine days. 6 and a bit is feasible, but you won't have time to look round. If you can book a ten day trip you will enjoy it a lot more.

Gammon Steak it is then. Many thanks for the info. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all your advice

we will be doing the ring anti clockwise now

the reason being we should get close to or near the south end of harecastle tunnel on sunday evening so we can get through the tunnel on monday morning

that way its out of the way and your not tied to get there and through it later in the week

thanks again

David

The first time I did the ring, I did it clockwise..

Second time, I fancied a change and because everything looks different the opposite way I was looking forward to it. The only problem I found with going anti clockwise was the tunnel... there's fan at one end (southern) which draws the smoke towards it from the north, and if you're heading north, and behind a couple of boats then you've got to struggle with their exhaust fumes. My eyes were red raw by the time I got out as there's no vent shafts either.

This was in the middle of summer, in the hot spell and was behind a good few boats aswell though, not sure when you're going.

The tunnel keeper opened up the big steel gate and let a boat out, and after a few quick words on her radio, she shut the gate again as although there were boats still in the tunnel, she wanted to keep the fan going to clear the way. She stood gabbing on the bank to a few hirers and then after 20 mins strolled back upto the tunnel mouth, opened the gate and then 5 narrowboats poured out of the tunnel one after the other. They'd been hovering, waiting to be released! They just sat there waiting, I would of seriously abused my horn! :rolleyes:

The only problem I found with going anti clockwise was the tunnel... there's fan at one end (southern) which draws the smoke towards it from the north, and if you're heading north, and behind a couple of boats then you've got to struggle with their exhaust fumes.

I wouldn't worry about that, because it can be the same the other way. You want to be at the front going north or at the back going south. Either direction the other way round means you will get smoke in your eyes as the draft is faster than the boats!

It has been said that most hirers go clockwise, so if you go anti-clock, you have less waiting at the locks.

It didn't worry me at all really, definately would not put me off doing the ring again. I love it round the Four Counties.

I think I preferred it going up the Shroppie locks and down the Cheshire Locks.

I wouldn't worry about that, because it can be the same the other way. You want to be at the front going north or at the back going south. Either direction the other way round means you will get smoke in your eyes as the draft is faster than the boats!

It has been said that most hirers go clockwise, so if you go anti-clock, you have less waiting at the locks.

I agree with dor here, the exhaust fumes is not an issue it works both ways. There was someone on here about a year ago who had a crew member who was asthmatic, we advised him to communicate with the tunnel keepers who would put him at the 'right' end of the queue, the problem not being unique.

The other matter it depends on where the hire base is, if you are not careful you can waste 3/4 of a day hanging around waiting for your boat and passage given that you must be at the tunnel 16.00 hrs latest.

Edited by John Orentas

• Wheaton Aston
  • Brewood
  • Tixall wide

I suspect it's been asked before here, but I still can't name the 4 (Four) Counties. Can anyone here do so?