Winding on Stratford canal

boatsandsteam

Featured Posts

A long while back I went down the Stratford canal as far as Wilcote where there was a winding hole just before the top lock, enabling us to turn, catch the train to Stratford before heading north again. I was only in a 50 foot boat then.

Does anyone know if the winding hole is still there and the maximum length of boat it will take?

I will be in a 62 foot boat this year. If that winding hole is not available - what is the nearest either north or south that will take 62 feet

The winding hole at Wilmcote is still there and Canalplan doesn't show any restriction for length. There's also another one towards Edstone Aqueduct which again isn't showing any length restrictions.

There is no winding hole above Wilmcote top lock

The winding holes along the southern Stratford are:

Dicks Lane

Half a mile below Preston Bagot bottom lock

Bridge above Wootton Wawen basin

Above Bearley/Odd Lock

Halfway along the pound between Edsone aqueduct and Wilmcote moorings

Just before the Wilmcote visitor moorings

Below the top lock at Wilmcote

Above Birmingham Road lock

In Stratford basin

all will take a full length boat although do get silted. The dredger is currently working its war down the southern Stratford so may have deepened some of them

A long while back I went down the Stratford canal as far as Wilcote where there was a winding hole just before the top lock, enabling us to turn, catch the train to Stratford before heading north again. I was only in a 50 foot boat then.

Does anyone know if the winding hole is still there and the maximum length of boat it will take?

I will be in a 62 foot boat this year. If that winding hole is not available - what is the nearest either north or south that will take 62 feet

We have just come down the Stratford, I was really impressed with the winding holes, even mentioned it to my partner as we cruised past them because it is not often that I can eye every winding hole on a canal and be confident of turning our 66ft.

As canalpubs mentioned, the dredger is working its way down, (we passed it) and what a good job they are doing, together with the off side tree and bush cutting, the journey (at least as far as the dredger) was a delight. We travelled down the north Stratford last year and dragged the bottom all the way, much better now.

We have just spent the last 7 days cruising, in glorious weather, from Burton upon Trent, down the T & M, Coventry, Birmingham & Fazeley, through the middle of Birmingham, Birmingham and Worcester and North and south Stratford to Stratford Upon Avon and in all that time we have past only 4, yes ‘Four’, other boats cruising!!!!!

The only real difficulty we faced was the pound between Locks 10 and 9 on the B&F (Aston Flight) what a nightmare, I measured the centre channel on the approach to lock 9 at just 2 ft!! Needless to say I had plenty of time to measure it accurately because we were firmly ‘beached’ on it. For anyone else passing that way, the deepest channel is actually half way between the centre and the towpath, the rest is full of bricks. We rode over hardcore that lifted us up 6 times in the short pound before we finally ground to a halt. I complained about it last year, no change. The pounds, being short, can easily get low and we have often had to let water down but on this occasion the level was normal, so watch out if you’re a little deep!

There is no winding hole above Wilmcote top lock

The winding holes along the southern Stratford are:

Dicks Lane

Half a mile below Preston Bagot bottom lock

Bridge above Wootton Wawen basin

Above Bearley/Odd Lock

Halfway along the pound between Edsone aqueduct and Wilmcote moorings

Just before the Wilmcote visitor moorings

Below the top lock at Wilmcote

Above Birmingham Road lock

In Stratford basin

all will take a full length boat although do get silted. The dredger is currently working its war down the southern Stratford so may have deepened some of them

To me the one before the visitor moorings is "above the top lock", that is the one that I meant in my reply. True it is not right by the top lock, but for someone wanting to go down as far as Wilmcote and then turn without going down the locks, it does the job.

To me the one before the visitor moorings is "above the top lock", that is the one that I meant in my reply. True it is not right by the top lock, but for someone wanting to go down as far as Wilmcote and then turn without going down the locks, it does the job.

That's what I meant too. It's more above the top lock than below the bottom ;)

What's wrong with carrying on to Stratford?

Actually that wont be possible for a few more hours. We are moored in the Basin in the centre of Stratford and sitting on the bottom! Last night some git opened the paddles on the river gates and drained the basin. I was woken at 4am this morning by a lot of loud gurgling and drawing the curtains, instead of looking out over the park was greeted instead by the slimy green side of the quay wall!

The ice cream boat has snapped its mooring lines but the other boats look OK.

I closed the paddles at 4am and called CRT. 2 CRT guys have spent all morning refilling the basin and checking that all the boats re-float OK rather than stick in the mud and flood.

I expect the long pound above the basin may be a bit low now?

Edited by Joshua

I expect the long pound above the basin may be a bit low now?

There isn't really a long pound for some distance though is there. Must be a pain having to run all that water down the locks.

There is a back pump in the Basin to compensate for the Restaurant/Trip boat using the barge lock

Also, the pound above Birmingham Road in Stratford stretches all the way to Bishopton and is kept as a reservoir to supply water to the basin when water is lost