how to measure boat length accurately

magnetman

Featured Posts

I have been thinking of measuring my boat as I am considering having it lengthened.

What would be the best way?

Giant calipers?

I think I would go for two pieces of ply lined up at each end on the towpath then a laser measure between the boards

There must be an easier way

While in a lock (unless you can get at both sides of your boat at your mooring) lay a piece of timber (wider than your beam) across your bow and one across stern at the points you want to measure.

measure the distance on both sides at the ends of the timber, add them together then divide by 2, this will ensure that if the timber isnt quite straight you get the correct distance.

I have been thinking of measuring my boat as I am considering having it lengthened.

What would be the best way?

Giant calipers?

I think I would go for two pieces of ply lined up at each end on the towpath then a laser measure between the boards

There must be an easier way

Why does it matter?

Richard

Or could do it from the dinghy for the other side. Thanks for the divide by 2 bit its a great idea

I have paid for 22m mooring even though I have a 17.5m (approx) boat I need to know exactly how much to add.

It doesn't 'matter' really I suppose

Or could do it from the dinghy for the other side. Thanks for the divide by 2 bit its a great ideaI have paid for 22m mooring even though I have a 17.5m (approx) boat I need to know exactly how much to add.

It doesn't 'matter' really I suppose

You are going to add about 4.5 metres and get quotes based on that. The stretcher will worry about the centimetres, I doubt half a metre will make much difference in price

Richard

I suppose you could put a couple of marks on the water at each end, move the boat away and measure with a tape measure. Use a plum bob to make the marks for greater accuracy

Edited by RLWP

I suppose you could put a couple of marks on the water at each end, move the boat away and measure with a tape measure. Use a plum bob to make the marks for greater accuracy

:clapping:

best idea so far. ta

A long tape measure?

Not as daft as it sounds actually. Find a straight stretch of towpath, moor up, hammer in your mooring stakes perpendicular to the boat, bow and stern. Attach your ropes and measure between the two stakes.

I realize that, the bow and stern stauntions aren't right on the the ends but it's a reasonable guide.

• Greenie 1