Alternator controller vs alternator to battery charger

Henri

Featured Posts

Good morning all!

I've had a read through some of the related threads but as my understanding of 12 volt electrics is pretty limited, haven't made enough sense of the threads to answer my question..

I've wired up my boat and am just getting around to finishing off the 12v electrical system (which basically consists of 2 x 80 amp alternators, 1 x 110 ah engine battery, 3 x 110 ah domestic bank) and have the following question:

As i see it with regards to optimising my alternator charging efficiency and battery capacity i can either spend a few hundred quid on an all singing all dancing victron (or other) alternator to battery charger, or i can can spend a little less and fit an alternator controller (adverc or the like) and a split charge relay.

Is this a correct assumption?

Would the alternator controller and split charge relay help protect the alternators and batteries like I assume the charger would??

What other advantages does the charger have over an alternator controller system??

Sorry if I have got the wrong end of the stick with regards this matter, any comments or advice would be much appreciated!!!!

There have been threads on this in the past.

- Firstly, there is not reason ata ll why you need eather, there are thousands of boats out there just running with the alternator using only its internal regulator. And if you power demands are not too extreame, this would be fine for you too.

- And there are also many people who would suggest that if the 80amp alternator is not enought, the simplest and neetest solution is simply to swap it out for a larger one, say 120amp.

However, there are also many in favour of use of the 3rd party electriccs to boost the output of the altetnator.

The external regulator/controlers take over the alterntors controlling, and often need to have the alternator modified for them to work, which can be more involved that some people want, and can also potentical void the warrentys.

The alternator-to-battery-chargers work be fooling the alternators own regualtor.

- The dump an artafical load over the alternator, droping the volts to a point where the alternators regulator kicks in to full charge rate, and then step the voltage up to the appropreate charge voltage for the batterys.

- Several of them are also designed to combine the output of both alternators, and then redistrobute that to the battery banks envolved, which can be conserder usfull if you have a large enigne altenator that is spending much time at idle.

As you have two alternators, you would not need a spit charge relay with the alternator controller solution.

- You would simply fit the alternator controller to the domestic alterntor system, and leave the engie system alone.

Hope this helps, also, search the site for past threads.

- Keywords such as "adverc" "sterling" "alternator" "alternator to battery charger" should bring up results.

Daniel

Hi Henri

As has been said:

You do not need a split charge relay, your system is split already.

Keep it simple; let each alternator charge its own battery/bank

If in the future you find that the domestics are not charged sufficiently for your needs you have two get outs, 1. adjust your needs :banghead: , 2. look into changing what you have.

As others have said, I can't see why you'd need a split charge relay as you have twin alternators going to two separate battery banks (unless of course like me you have an electric bowthruster and want to split the charge between your engine start battery to the BT batteries for example).

On the subject of aternator controllers you MAY not need one if your alternators are modern and are already charging efficiently. I learned from the original thread that in the case of Sterling, their external alternator regulator will do a better job than their alternator to battery charger, although I'm not sure if this is true for other brands.

It's worth reading the original thread(s) there's some useful stuff there, plus plenty of sniping, arguing and the usual suspects feeling persecuted. :P

Edited by blackrose