advice please

paneuro

Featured Posts

i am currently looking at a 42ft cruiser called nellelinden, the owner says it was built by Ken Yates its a 2004, does anyone know about this builder, it seems a well enough built boat, it's on e bay if anyone could perhaps give us ther views. Thank you Phil

It may just be the angle of the photograph but the rear deck looks huge - (10 foot ?)

This length 'comes off' your 'useful length' so have a look at it - you may find a better use of space on (say) a 35 footer.

We had set ourselves the minimum length of 50 and preferably 55 foot. We ended up with a 45 footer which had everything we wanted, or needed.

Remember everything (licence, insurance, mooring painting etc etc) are all charged by the foot

Boat looks great. Obviously it depends on price. You can put up with a lot if you are saving a lot or getting a "bargain"

I like a big rear deck but agree, if you intend to cc or spend long periods on board you may miss the cabin space that the rear deck deprives you of.

I would go there and see it in the flesh.

Remember everything (licence, insurance, mooring painting etc etc) are all charged by the foot

smiley_offtopic.gif

Who charges for insurance "by the foot"?

Surely insurance premiums are based on value of a boat, and degree of cover provided, and have nothing to do with length.

(I pay far more for a 40 foot boat than I do for a 50 foot boat!).

It may just be the angle of the photograph but the rear deck looks huge - (10 foot ?)

This length 'comes off' your 'useful length' so have a look at it - you may find a better use of space on (say) a 35 footer.

That depends on how you are going to use the boat though.

In the summer with a couple of family members on board and possibly a largish dog too a big rear deck like that could be a god send.....

Possible wasted space though if you are single hander living aboard.... yes agreed.

smiley_offtopic.gif

Who charges for insurance "by the foot"?

Surely insurance premiums are based on value of a boat, and degree of cover provided, and have nothing to do with length.

(I pay far more for a 40 foot boat than I do for a 50 foot boat!).

BoatInsure.co.uk as 6 questions :

Cover required

Length

Year built

No claims bonus

Value

Where moored

Maybe i'm wrong in assuming they ask it for length for a reason, if it has no effect why ask for it ?

yes i see what you mean,and if it's going to be used mainly as a liveaboard you really are losing valuable space,i suppose if you got it at the right money you could think about a cover and utilise the space that way?have you heard of anything negative or otherwise regarding ken yates boats?phil.cheers.gif

That depends on how you are going to use the boat though.

In the summer with a couple of family members on board and possibly a largish dog too a big rear deck like that could be a god send.....

Possible wasted space though if you are single hander living aboard.... yes agreed.

Fair comment - well made.

It does depend on what you want to do with the boat, and when you will use it.

However the bank / towpath can make a nice relaxing area, and is always available - the space on a boat is limited and needs to be optimised.

There are several old threads about Yates boats - here is one of them

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2589

Apparently they are 'economy' boats.

I was looking at this boat on ebay earlier on, it looked quite well laid out to me. Agree that the stern area is on the large size, especially for somebody mostly living on their own but to me it did seem to tick nearly all the boxes. I'll be interested to see what it sells for as it could fall within my budget when I do go out buying. At the moment it's £17,600 reserve not met, the buy it now price is £29,999, and I'd be looking at having a budget of £25,000.

One thing I did notice was that there was no mention of steel thickness, hull condition or any recent survey (the ad says they bought it a year ago). It is fairly new but I'm sure I've read that the quality of steel used on newer boats is maybe not as good as on older ones.