Footbridge over the SSYN

peterboat

Featured Posts

Hi all,

The other day CRT inspected and declared a footbridge unsafe to use. It was sealed off with crowd control fencing bolted to each entrance to the bridge.

Last night our eastern european bretheren started to remove it as we walked along the towpath with the dogs we had a bit of a confrontation and they scarpered!

Anyway this morning as I walked the dog I noticed that the fencing had been ripped off! I contacted the council (the bridge is a public right off way) and also tried to warn some people who were walking over fencing to go over the bridge even though their were sings saying its not safe but got told to fxxk oxf!! I decided it would be no loss and left them to it :)

This afternoon council rang me to tell me it was CRTs bridge and they (CRT) would be removing the steps each side to stop pedestrians and the right off way had been suspended.

This evening as I was walking the dog in the pouring rain their were workmen heading towards the bridge as it was like a lake I turned back but I would love to have seen the faces on the eastern europeans when they were returning home in the dark :) We boaters are glad about the closure as its always a worry going under it when people are on it and their is always a terrible mess around the bridge from the shop lifting forays in the retail park.

I have now made my radio 2 confession and will leave you all to judge me :)

Peter

Hi all,

The other day CRT inspected and declared a footbridge unsafe to use. It was sealed off with crowd control fencing bolted to each entrance to the bridge.

Last night our eastern european bretheren started to remove it as we walked along the towpath with the dogs we had a bit of a confrontation and they scarpered!

Anyway this morning as I walked the dog I noticed that the fencing had been ripped off! I contacted the council (the bridge is a public right off way) and also tried to warn some people who were walking over fencing to go over the bridge even though their were sings saying its not safe but got told to fxxk oxf!! I decided it would be no loss and left them to it smile.png

This afternoon council rang me to tell me it was CRTs bridge and they (CRT) would be removing the steps each side to stop pedestrians and the right off way had been suspended.

This evening as I was walking the dog in the pouring rain their were workmen heading towards the bridge as it was like a lake I turned back but I would love to have seen the faces on the eastern europeans when they were returning home in the dark smile.png We boaters are glad about the closure as its always a worry going under it when people are on it and their is always a terrible mess around the bridge from the shop lifting forays in the retail park.

I have now made my radio 2 confession and will leave you all to judge me smile.png

Peter

There was a notice issued by CRT yesterday about this.

Apparently it has been deemed unsafe and CRT have closed it and are in the process of replacing it.

Original message:
There is a temporary closure of Eastwood Footbridge over the South Yorkshire Navigation near Rotherham.
This temporary closure is necessary due to concerns over its condition. Work to design, fabricate and install a new bridge is being carried out.
The navigation and towpath are unaffected by the closure of the bridge.
Further update to be provided by end of February 2014.
You can view this notice and its map online here:
You can find all notices at the url below:

Morning all it is Parkgate retail world and yes it is an old bridge Keith an old boater can remember or so he thinks the previous bridge (a swing bridge) . Well Martin they closed the bridge the other day so you would have thought that the notice should have been issued before yesterday? We are going back to the boat later this afternoon so lets see if the steps have been removed.

Peter

Morning all it is Parkgate retail world and yes it is an old bridge Keith an old boater can remember or so he thinks the previous bridge (a swing bridge) . Well Martin they closed the bridge the other day so you would have thought that the notice should have been issued before yesterday? We are going back to the boat later this afternoon so lets see if the steps have been removed.

Peter

Actually that is my error.

It was actually issued on Tuesday 11th Feb.

(just double checked the email)

CRT are normally pretty good on the timeliness of the advice and stoppages notices for the Northern waterways, particularly as we now get then at weekends too when appropriate.

Walking Taff this morning and the workers were removing steps they told me that they had had a row with some people already about it!! Cant wait to see the new bridge....................................................in 10 years or so ha ha

Peter

Walking Taff this morning and the workers were removing steps they told me that they had had a row with some people already about it!! Cant wait to see the new bridge....................................................in 10 years or so ha ha

Peter

Is it a public right of way??

If so I guess they will come under pressure to replace it ASAP.....

Tonight I could not believe what I saw! People were climbing up the bridge to get over! One was passing small children up and then her husband pulled her up at the other side he nearly broke his leg getting down and then was blaming all and sundry for his injury!! What part of bridge closed due to being unsafe plastered all over could he not read!! People are so stupid

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

hi all , can someone please tell me ,who owns this bridge , rotherham council of crt ? am a resident of eastwood ,for the last 30 years , i cant belive this bridge has been "chopped down" and left in the mess its in . its more of a hazard now that it was before ! ive also seen kids climbing up the bridge and jumping of the other end .its not going to be long before someone hurts themself . this is a public right of way even well before the parkgate shopping complex . can anyone shed any light on the ownership of the bridge ? thanks .

hi all , can someone please tell me ,who owns this bridge , rotherham council of crt ? am a resident of eastwood ,for the last 30 years , i cant belive this bridge has been "chopped down" and left in the mess its in . its more of a hazard now that it was before ! ive also seen kids climbing up the bridge and jumping of the other end .its not going to be long before someone hurts themself . this is a public right of way even well before the parkgate shopping complex . can anyone shed any light on the ownership of the bridge ? thanks .

I think you may get the most accurate answer if you ask Rotherham Council, (and then you could tell us :) )

Update From CaRT today.

It is planned to remove the current Eastwood Footbridge in May 2014. The replacement footbridge is scheduled to be installed in the Autumn. We will provide a further update once an exact date has been confirmed for these works to go ahead

sorry but this make no sense what so ever, around 3 weeks ago ,a sign was pinned to a lamp post very near to the said bridge , the sign read , work will take 3 weeks ... signed by rotherham council. now you are saying september before a new bridge is installed . council dont know for sure who owns this bridge ...nor does crt ? i was lead to belive a fairly new bridge belongs to local council . local police are telling residents that the bridge was taken down because of shoplifting in parkgate retail world . as said before , this is a public right of way .

Katie.

If it is a Right of Way and it has now been closed then a Regulation Order will have been issued to temporarily close it or even divert it. Was this what the Notice was?

I suggest that instead of complaining on here you write to the Rights of Way Dept of the local Council and get a definitive answer from them. You could also involve your local Councillor and get them to inquire.

What designation does the bridge show as on the OS map?

Edited by Graham Davis

Thorpe Hesley Permissive B.1 19/02/13 12/06/13 dangerous footbridge

Swinton F.No.4 22/2/13 15/06/13 dangerous footbridge

Interesting that the first is a "permissive" path.

Perhaps Katie could confirm which it is?

Edited by Graham Davis

hi , its none listed here , its EASTWOOD FOOTBRIDGE , eastwood rotherham . ive been onto local council who state , its a canal matter they have once again told me , a new bridge will not be in place until september . am on with the local cllr issue too .... i dont hold my breath with that to be honest .

katiecoocoo, on 06 Mar 2014 - 1:08 PM, said:katiecoocoo, on 06 Mar 2014 - 1:08 PM, said:katiecoocoo, on 06 Mar 2014 - 1:08 PM, said:

hi , its none listed here , its EASTWOOD FOOTBRIDGE , eastwood rotherham . ive been onto local council who state , its a canal matter they have once again told me , a new bridge will not be in place until september . am on with the local cllr issue too .... i dont hold my breath with that to be honest .

This the one??

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2241149

If so it does look like it is indeed a public ROW.

PS don't be confused by it being marked as a swing bridge on the OS map as this replaced a swing bridge at that location (as evidenced by the 'pinch point' in the waterway.

Edited by The Dog House

yes for some reason it has two names.

Martin.

I think that Stonerow Footbridge runs parallel with the canal and crosses the old Greasbrough branch (disused) which is a short distance back towards the road bridge over the canal. I had relatives that lived in the Stonerow cottages many many years ago. I remember fishing in the branch as a kid and people still fish this section today. Greasbrough Canal Link