Rufford Branch locks , will it fit 63ft 8in

andyth62

Featured Posts

Hi All

New to the forum.

Have had a share boat for a few years and decided to buy our own boat.

We were planning to winter moor on the Lancaster Canal.

Made an offer on a 62ft ex black prince boat,

Just had the survey done, called in while it was being done to ask how the boats are measured, So he measured it while i was there.

Measures 63ft 8in without rear fender.

Now the big question , will it fit through the locks on the Rufford branch up to the Ribble link ???

Have looked at a few post but still not got a definite answer, Some say 62ft is tight others no problem!

An advice gratefully recieved

Cheers

Andy

Hello welcome to the forum, I'm a newish member too, I read your post as Rufford Branch got my attention.. I'm not very far away from you..I'm sorry tho I don't know the answer to your question just saying hi, great advice and people on here sure you will enjoy

Being more serious, my last boat, "Ripple" was a notional 62 foot and got through, without needing to go diagonally.

The difference going diagonal makes is not the extra length on the diagonal, which pythagoras can work out, but that you get the extra length of one bottom gate being closed. Going up, the boat goes in on one side with one gate open, swings behind the closed gate, allowing the other gate to be closed.

This adds a couple of feet as a minimum

However when descending you need great care to make sure the boat is clear of the cill

I have the dimensions for locks on the Rufford Branch as measured in 1890, when Germans was the shortest lock - 67 feet from the centre of the sill to the point of the mitre. However, the only way to be sure is to try it, taking great care as suggested by Magpie Patrick. I did stop a 72 foot boat trying to descend the top lock many years ago. They got in, closed the gates and opened the paddles, but were about to sit on the sill when I stopped them. Lock length can be very deceptive, and remember that the walls may slope inwards as they descend.

Hi Folks

Decided to get the tape measure out and go check

Tarleton Lock No 8 Cill marker to Mitre ( centre of gates) 65ft

Rufford Lock No 7 Cill marker to Mitre ( centre of gates) 66ft

Chicken Lock No 6 Cill marker to Mitre ( centre of gates) 66ft

Germans Lock No5 Cill marker to Mitre ( centre of gates) 64ft

No 4,3,2 and 1 Heavens opened so sought refuge in the Ship Inn, next to locks 1 and 2,

Excellent lunch & beer's

Will measure 1 to 4 another day biggrin.png

• Greenie 1

Hi Folks

Decided to get the tape measure out and go check

Tarleton Lock No 8 Cill marker to Mitre ( centre of gates) 65ft

Rufford Lock No 7 Cill marker to Mitre ( centre of gates) 66ft

Chicken Lock No 6 Cill marker to Mitre ( centre of gates) 66ft

Germans Lock No5 Cill marker to Mitre ( centre of gates) 64ft

No 4,3,2 and 1 Heavens opened so sought refuge in the Ship Inn, next to locks 1 and 2,

Excellent lunch & beer's

Will measure 1 to 4 another day biggrin.png

Sadly, cill markers are not all that definitive.

On a broad lock, the cill is often curved for strength. If the marker indicates where the curved cill meets the lock side wall you could gain another 2 ft or so by backing the boat into the curve of the cill in front of the top gate mitre.

Going uphill, or backing downhill if necessary, and depending on the depth of the lock, there is always the chance of gaining another 6-9" by overhanging the cill with the boat bow.

George ex nb Alton retired

Sadly, cill markers are not all that definitive.

On a broad lock, the cill is often curved for strength. If the marker indicates where the curved cill meets the lock side wall you could gain another 2 ft or so by backing the boat into the curve of the cill in front of the top gate mitre.

Going uphill, or backing downhill if necessary, and depending on the depth of the lock, there is always the chance of gaining another 6-9" by overhanging the cill with the boat bow.

They're not definitive because the only way to make them definitive would be to paint a curved line on the water!

The OP also wanted to know about a boat something like 63 foot 8 inches long, whilst the measurements may not be definitive on how long a boat might make it through, they do suggest a boat of 63 foot 8 will.

They're not definitive because the only way to make them definitive would be to paint a curved line on the water!

The OP also wanted to know about a boat something like 63 foot 8 inches long, whilst the measurements may not be definitive on how long a boat might make it through, they do suggest a boat of 63 foot 8 will.

Cill markers are also not definitive as their position in relation to the cill tends to vary, notwithstanding any curve.

I am well aware of the dimensions of the OP's boat but others are interested in the precise size of these locks for larger boats, as has been demonstrated by previous threads.

Couldnt see the curve of the cill, arrived as a boat was going through Germans lock, but even empty cill was still under water. so measured the safest length that should fit, obviously in the middle, the curve of the cill could add another foot or two.

and diagonal could add a bit more

Andy