Waterways Careers

midget-gem

Featured Posts

Hello

Does anyone have some advice / tips for someone who would like to develop a career on the inland water ways?

I am 24 years old, I have 7 years experience as a mobile heavy plant mechanic, I am a boater too and I have some experience working alongside the Manchester Ship Canal. I plan to study for a HNC correspondence course in Small Craft Surveying, I also have an NVQ3 in plant maintenance and a certificate in handling refrigerants.

Currently looking for work.

What kind of jobs are out there on the inland water ways?

What courses/qualifications would help me to get them?

Anywhere I can gain experience? (may work for free)

I would love to hear about the experiences from people already working in the inland marine industry.

Regards

Hello

Does anyone have some advice / tips for someone who would like to develop a career on the inland water ways?

I am 24 years old, I have 7 years experience as a mobile heavy plant mechanic, I am a boater too and I have some experience working alongside the Manchester Ship Canal. I plan to study for a HNC correspondence course in Small Craft Surveying, I also have an NVQ3 in plant maintenance and a certificate in handling refrigerants.

Currently looking for work.

What kind of jobs are out there on the inland water ways?

What courses/qualifications would help me to get them?

Anywhere I can gain experience? (may work for free)

I would love to hear about the experiences from people already working in the inland marine industry.

Regards

Please have a look at www.viaductshipping.co.uk and if interested then send some info through to the jobs@viaductshipping.co.uk email.

Mike C

I'm guessing this is the IIMS course in small craft surveying?

I did a previous version of the course, qualifying in 2009 and starting my own surveying business in 2012, adding in BSS work from the start of 2013.

I have to say that if you're already an experienced mechanic, and you'd like a job working with boats, then you'll make a lot more money a lot more easily as a mechanic than you will as a surveyor. (I'm not saying that as you'd be competition, as it'd be a rare job that'd get me to travel up to Manchester.)