South Oxford Canal br220 Shipton-on-Cherwell Flood Gate closed

pinkoi

Featured Posts

It sort of makes you grateful that your home floats!

biggrin.png

First time mines been floating for a long time

wink.png

We were very pleased to welcome the arrival of NB Dusty at Cropredy yesterday. Apparently he had quite a trip - but he battled through with our monthly supplies of Anthracite and Propane . . .

Tell him to turn around and surf the Cherwell down to our neck of the woods

Supplies are getting low

..................... it has to said that in true Dusty tradition, despite not being able to get the boat down because of flooding and stoppages, he has been delivering to the needy by road

Top bloke

cheers.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi anyone know if the Cherwell has settled down now, and OK to navigate from Bakers to Shipton Wear and Thrupp?

It would be a very very quick trip if you did it at the moment.

Stopping at Shipton would be 'interesting'

............. not for the faint hearted

With the rain over the past couple of days, I'd hazard a guess at........ no

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there - since I cant get any sense out of CRT, how does the Cherwell look now between Bakers and Shipton?

It looks surprisingly benign to me on Sunday and boats were passing with ease.

Odd, because it the level was was still in the red area of the marker board below Bakers Lock.

If you are going downstrean (south) the only tricky bit will be negotiating the two sharp bends after the railway bridge, as you will be traveling with the current. Even that will only be slightly tricky.

MtB

Thanks guys - we'll give it a try down from Lower Heyford on Saturday - the boat needs to go out!

Wish someone at CRT would update their stoppage info - still says Cherwell section closed as of Jan 10th...

Cheers Andy

Btw Hi there MtB, ex-neighbour of mine in Reading - hope you're doing well

...............Wish someone at CRT would update their stoppage info - still says Cherwell section closed as of Jan 10th...

Cheers Andy

To fair to them, the Cherwell levels have been a real moving target since before Christmas.

The slightest amount of rain has been making it rise very quickly .......... and fall just as quickly when it stops raining (a rare event recently)

I've never known the Shipton flood gate be closed as many times as it has so far this Winter and for so long.