Achilles, RIver medway, Tonbridge, Kent sadly not afloat

dazbot8

Featured Posts

So sorry to hear about this, your Dad must have been absolutely gutted. I've lived on boats for years and a fair few of those years on a boat in Tonbridge. I've always enjoyed walking past Achilles which has become an important part of the Tonbridge scene for me. A few thoughts.

Firstly the river here is mostly very soft mud which is good, I think it would be most unlikely to have major damage to the steel hull.

I've asked the EA to lower the river before and be warned you will need to be patient, it may even be months, but they are generally really helpful and will want the boat out as much as you do as it is currently a hazard.

Wooden roof - of course what is left will be beyond repair when it comes up but the old one often seemed to have tarps on so must have leaked at times. In the long term this might be a good opportunity to put something hardier up there. I had my leaky wooden boat roof covered by fibre glass by Fi-Glass in Edenbridge pretty cheaply - they came out and did it in Tonbridge on the spot and it was a rock solid, leakproof result - see Jervis Bay in the park if you want to see an example.

I can call on the Tonbridge Round Table to help out if you need manpower for anything.

I'm sure the hull will be OK, but did you know there is whole new steel narrow boat shell round the corner, at Goodland Engineering (next to Halfords). It is an unfinished project, been there as long as I can remember - but years ago they built boats. You can see it through the gates. They might help if you need some welding or even a steel roof!

Good luck with your appeal and the work to come, warmest wishes

Toby

Edited by Toby Butler
  • Greenie 1

This came up on FB yesterday...

Achilles Appeal

"Well EA have contacted me finally, mixed blessings really. They are going to drop the river but not until March,but if will be dropped for 3-4 days which is good news. They will have a big dredger up there which will assist if needed. So not all doom and gloom. But a long wait all the same.

There's a lot involved in dropping the river all the boats around barden have to be moved into the middle. Fish stock all sorts but they was very polite and explained why i have to wait. And at least we get the help from EA this way

Well most of the wood broke away when it sank anyway, so that's not my concern basically it will be a metal Hull. But i don't think the engine will be much good. Will just have to see."
There seems to be a lot of local interest and help being offered... clapping.gif

• 3 months later...

Anybody local know the latest, I'm hoping things will go positive soon. I expect the continued rain is hampering recovery plans.

The Tonbridge edition of the Kent & Sussex Courier reports this week that Achilles has been revealed by "dreging of the river" but actuallly by lowering the river level. She looks a sorry sight in the newspaper photographs that show most of the timber superstructure lying alongside having been smashed off by the force of the water. The bow is resting on what looks like a slipway but the stern is still under water. The owner (Karlie Sinfield) hopes to have the boat pulled out of the water by the weekend with the help of friends,

All very sad as the boat has been in the Tonbridge area since being built in 1972 as a "trip boat".

Went to take a lookysee yesterday and the status quo remains. Now that the EA have restored the river level to normal, Achilles is still under water and a hazard to navigation as there are no markers anywhere to show a sunken boat other than the 6" or so of the bow visible above the surface. From the attitude of the boat in the newspaper photos, it looks like an attempt had been made to drag it towards a slipway near where she lies, but the bow is now further out into the stream a few yards away from the slip

One factor affecting the willingness (or not as the case may be) of the authorities to assist is that the boat was moored for months if not years on the Council maintained Visitor Moorings just above Tonbridge Town Lock which are chargeable at £5.00 per night with a maximum of 7 nights in any 30 night period....... There is another plastic un-named and unlicensed boat on the same mooring with an un-named narrowboat seemingly permanently moored on the lock landing downstream of the lock, thus effectively closing it off for use.

My sympathy has waned somewhat although to lose one's home is a bit of a b****r to say the least.

• 4 months later...

River level has been lowered considerably and Achilles is now about 85% visible. I took a few pics on my b***dy silly BlackBerry yesterday but I can't extract them to post on here. I have pm'd Dazbot8 but as he hasn't been on here since December last year, i don't hold out much hope. Wouldn't mind betting the EA themselves will pull her out and dispose of as scrap. Don't know what engine it had but it would be pity to lose an old one.

• 4 weeks later...

It's gone!!

River level was lowered to enable some remedial works to the weir just downstream and according to friends who live in the flats opposite, some bods turned up on the Saturday morning to try and pump her out but like Fred Carnot's Army, failed dismally.

Consequently the EA came along with the A Team on Sunday and Achilles was back afloat within an hour. it was apparently towed through the lock and away downstream but to where is another question entirely.

Strange but true, a smaller red and green narrowboat is now moored where Achilles lay on the opposite side to the Council run moorings..

It's gone!!

River level was lowered to enable some remedial works to the weir just downstream and according to friends who live in the flats opposite, some bods turned up on the Saturday morning to try and pump her out but like Fred Carnot's Army, failed dismally.

Consequently the EA came along with the A Team on Sunday and Achilles was back afloat within an hour. it was apparently towed through the lock and away downstream but to where is another question entirely.

Strange but true, a smaller red and green narrowboat is now moored where Achilles lay on the opposite side to the Council run moorings..

So what happens now - do the EA break it up?sad.png

Achilles is now moored in yalding. I am unsure what id happening any longer but will be sure to keep people updated. As for the "Fred Carnot's Army" failing miserably in your words, as explained in the inbox message everybody tried and it would have been a successful salvage if the generator that was running 3 submersible pumps hadn't of packed up!! Darren

Unfortuantly I believe the EA currently own it and I have also heard they no longer want it on the river so I am unsure of Achilles future. It had a 2 cylinder long stroke lister engine. I will contact my father (the owner) and find out what's happening up to date.

Darren

I do not have any interest in your ACHILLES except that it shares its name with a former Grand Union Canal Carrying Co. Ltd. butty that was built in 1935, which I do have an interest in. To ensure future enthusiasts do not confuse these two boats I have the following written at the bottom of the file for the butty ACHILLES:

MOTOR TRIP BOAT ‘ACHILLES’ IS NOTHING TO DO WITH G.U.C.C.Co.Ltd ‘ACHILLES’.

1972 – BUILT AS GRAND UNION TYPE 60’ MOTOR TRIP BOAT (50 SEATER) - POWERED BY 20Hp 2 CYLINDER AILSA CRAIG.

BUILT BY HOPWOOD CRAFT, BURTON ON TRENT (JOHN PINDER – WELDERS DOUG GREAVES & EDDY HAMBRIDGE)

BUILT FOR APOLLO CANAL CRUISES, SHIPLEY, YORKSHIRE (DAVID LOWE).

02/1975 – FOR SALE IN WATERWAYS WORLD. (sold to Alan Oliver – see WW 03/1976 pg 20)

1981 - REFITTED WITH 30Hp SABB 1981. (Ailsa Craig RL2 20hp @ 1200 for sale in WW 04/1981 pg 84 – telephone Doncaster 25576 or 855447)

02/1984 – FOR SALE IN WW 02/1984 pg 83 BY ALAN OLIVER CRUISES Ltd., DONCASTER (60’ – D.o.T. Class V for 50 passengers – built 1973 as an accurate replica of a small

Woolwich – Perfect boatmans cabin with original decoration by Tony Lewery – separate engine room with Sabb 2JHR 30hp installed new in 1981 – galley – bar – hull is in

perfect condition – superstructure woodwork rebuilt 1982 – only passenger seats need replacing – surplus to requirements – telephone Doncaster 856513) (still for sale in

WW 07/1984 pg 79)

(re-advertised for in WW 09/1984 pg 79 – still for sale in WW 10/1984 pg 74)

09/1984 – FOR SALE IN WW 09/1984 pg 5 via THE NARROW BOAT REGISTER (60’ – steel-hulled – trad style n/b – 50 passengers – Sabb 30hp

diesel – boatmans cabin – bar – galley facilities – Woolwich style hull by Hopwood – reported to be in good condition & well painted)

(still for sale in WW 10/1984 pg 72 – refurbished top – Tony Lewery paintings – 1974 – engine 1981) (still for sale in WW 04/1985 pg 72)

03/1985 – FOR SALE IN NARROW BOAT AS 50 SEATER.

31/07/1995 – SEEN BY AN ENTHUSIAST AS HOUSE BOAT WITH LISTER HR2 (replacing Sabb) AT TOVIL BRIDGE BOAT YARD, MAIDSTONE, KENT

2003 – OPERATING ON RIVER MEDWAY ?

The original owner of your ACHILLES occasionally writes on the this Forum as 'fanshaft'.

Back in the late 1960's I worked that butty with 'Jaguar' as the winter time extra pair for Blue Line (ex Barlows) running to Southall from Baddesley pit (Atherstone). At that time it belonged to Birmingham and Midland but was on hire from them. The original elm bottoms had been replaced with steel, done by Vokins when still owned by British Waterways. The usual weight for that job on it was 27 tons. which looked as though it had a bit more than that on, because of the steel bottom.

It's gone!!

Id like to say this information you received is very un true.... It took the salvage company all day to raise Achilles. We also never failed dismally as explained it was just bad luck! I'm actually shocked that even after my father lost his boat people still feel the need to lie! I was there from start to finish Saturday through to Sunday and there was many others as well... Bet your friends didn't tell you that though aye!

Went to take a lookysee yesterday and the status quo remains. Now that the EA have restored the river level to normal, Achilles is still under water and a hazard to navigation as there are no markers anywhere to show a sunken boat other than the 6" or so of the bow visible above the surface. From the attitude of the boat in the newspaper photos, it looks like an attempt had been made to drag it towards a slipway near where she lies, but the bow is now further out into the stream a few yards away from the slip

One factor affecting the willingness (or not as the case may be) of the authorities to assist is that the boat was moored for months if not years on the Council maintained Visitor Moorings just above Tonbridge Town Lock which are chargeable at £5.00 per night with a maximum of 7 nights in any 30 night period....... There is another plastic un-named and unlicensed boat on the same mooring with an un-named narrowboat seemingly permanently moored on the lock landing downstream of the lock, thus effectively closing it off for use.

My sympathy has waned somewhat although to lose one's home is a bit of a b****r to say the least.

Again a very un necessary post....... There was no attempt the first time because the river was restored early due to trapped fish down stream. In regards to the moorings I believe there 48hour moorings and therefore Achilles used to travel along the river to allington and back quite frequently but again that's not really anything to do with a sunken boat that just so happens was my fathers house.

That's truly sad, your Dad should have had the chance to take it away to a boatyard at least . It was the floods that sank it after all. Sorry it all had such a bad ending.

Well fingers crossed he will have the opportunity but I don't think he's getting his hopes up.

• Greenie 1

Thanks for that, I hadn't seen it before. Looks like the Buckby end of Braunston Tunnel. May have been loaded for the Jam 'Ole but could have been Croxley ( Dickinsons Paper Mill).

Edit TA. The coal showing between the top planks and the sidecloths looks like the DS that went to Southall . . . the UT Singles or 'peas' that Croxley had was noticeably smaller in size.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Assuming the hull is sound, I seen no reason why it should be broken up, and if I had anything do do with it (and infact even with my passing interest) would happily work to secure its future.

Sadly I expect the cabin and interior may be beyond repair by now, and if the damage was not covered by insurance the hull may not be worse the salvage. However it should still be resold rather than broken up.

Please keep us informed.

Daniel

Tony - sorry I can't lay my hands on that famous and rather impressive picture of "Achilles" passing Fenny Stratford loaded - you can only see a little bit of it though!

I didn't know there was such a picture, but as I said that butty always did look as though it had more on than it really did, with the depths of the sides reduced by the equivalent of about 3 ton.

If the picture shows it with even less dry side than usual it was probably after the time when we hit something in the bottom of the cut really hard near Rugby and it started leaking straight afterwards. By the time we got to Southall you couldn't see much more than the deckboard, sidecloths and the cabin.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

• 4 months later...

Sadly yes that is achilles. I believe my father has decided to move on and forget the past and start again! Very sad ending to a sad story. Hopefully someone will see this as an opportunity to build a lovely boat from a blank canvas.

Darren

Sadly yes that is achilles. I believe my father has decided to move on and forget the past and start again! Very sad ending to a sad story. Hopefully someone will see this as an opportunity to build a lovely boat from a blank canvas.

Darren

For some reason I have only just come across this thread, but all that has been said about my former boat is correct - in fact I now know more about the detailed history of Achilles thanks to Pete Harrison than before! . How sad to read through but let's hope someone will rescue the boat and get her up and running again. It was, as stated, built by Hopwood Craft at Burton-on-Trent for my operation based on the L&L Canal, and was a full 7 ft wide, and 60 ft not 55 ft long. This was the longest I dared go for the occasional trips on the C&H which was as well as in 1974 (I think) we had to operate out of Brighouse because of a water shortage on the L&L. The design was based loosely on the BW trip boats which I rather liked and with a slightly short foredeck, possibly shorter engine room (not sure about that) and much smaller galley/bar we could get 50 passengers on quite nicely using narrow (32 inch) bus seats. She had a rather nice full size back cabin and had a live aboard crew as was the custom then. The Ailsa Craig engine sounded right but was not powerful enough for Apollo as there was no reduction box; however it was even less successful in Achilles - it used to slow down and nearly stop when passing through Foulridge tunnel which was a bit alarming! She didn't swim or handle very well unlike Apollo. They were sisters in that they were operated by the same company (mine) and often worked together at busy times, but then separated to work different locations - at the time I didn't realise the potential demand for tripping from one location - it was all a bit new and innovative - but we did eventually settle down in Shipley especially as other trip boats became established at locations we had previously used. I had Apollo re-configured in a similar fashion but being shorter could only manage 48 passengers and a shorter back cabin.

Mention has been made of the 'real' Achilles - I was told off by Doug Greaves (who worked for Hopwood Craft) for stealing the name for my boat but Apollo and Achilles seemed to go well together - and I was fairly 'green' in narrow boat terms then, being from the north of England and with little knowledge of working narrow boats (to my regret). In fairness I've taken loaded short boats right across the L&L!

Alan Oliver worked for me as skipper on Achilles for the last season and then purchased her to augment his successfuil freight carrying business based on the SYN (where he still is). Why I advertised her I don't know - maybe Alan hadn't made up his mind at that point, but I needed to sell to raise funds for my next venture - a short boat conversion which is another story.

Alan is right - his brother Peter did work for me and did skipper Achilles - I have a photo of him polishing brasses and am fairly certain it's Achilles.

Best wishes

David L