E Petition: SaveOurWaterways

Hairy-Neil

Featured Posts

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the info... I don't remember seeing you around, you may of seen me, however... green combat pants, brown boots, and a white and blue checked shirt?

I didn't see Tim either, only saw Severn moored up in the lock mouth.

You may have seen me wandering around at Castlefield, wearing a HCS cap and sweater!

...oh, and carrying a camera!

You may be interested in seeing some of my pics of the protests at Castlefield and Bugsworth at:

www.penninewaterways.co.uk/news/news01.htm

Some more of my pics, plus dozens of pics from other people of all the protests around the country can be found here:

www.flickr.com/photos/sowpics/

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the info... I don't remember seeing you around, you may of seen me, however... green combat pants, brown boots, and a white and blue checked shirt?

That doesn't ring any bells, Liam, but then I wasn't really paying much attention to what people were wearing!

I was at Castlefield between 9.30 am and 1.15 pm at which time I had to leave to get the train to Bugsworth in time for the photo-call there.

I recognise a fair few boats, and people in the pics, but can't see me! although I don't think I was about at that particular moment in time.

Any of you lot going on the "Last Push" events?

From SOW's website...

"LAST PUSH" EVENTS

Over the weekend of 24 & 25 February 2007 we intend to arrange a nationwide series of events to coincide with the delivery of the petition. Details will be here when they are known. If you are interested in organising one these events, please see our campaign document and up-dated campaign timetable for guidance.

http://www.saveourwaterways.org.uk/

I was watching the blockade stuff on the news and one protestor was saying we are in danger of returning to the dark days of the late 70's, early 80's. Am I alone in quietly hankering after the good old days of quiet canals, less clone boats, more interesting boats, being able to pick crab apples from overhanging branches, less bw beaurocracy. I can cope with less water, fewer hanging baskets and stiff paddle gear to just have a bit of the calm back.

Recieved a very nice letter from my MP, Rt Hon Michael Meacher. Enclosed a copy of the letter he recieved from Rt Hon David Miliband, Sec of State. Dept. for environment, food and rural affairs. Ref. the DEFRA cuts.

Michael Meachers second paragraph;

"I feel this is a rather disappointing reply and assure you I will continue to do everything possible to ensure our waterways are not neglected".

He is right, Milibands letter is quite long, totally unrepentant and does not even hint any change of heart, several paragraphs justifying the present policy and several more explaining how well BW have been treated in recent years. Not one word that deals with the obvious injustice of the present situation.

It is not looking good.

I asked MEP Roger Helmer why the EU thinks it is better to fine the UK for the DEFRA fiasco rather then root out the incompetents and fire them! He replied thus:

"I can explain the EU's position -- but I cannot justify it!

The EU seeks to exert control over the member-states by threatening fines. These however are increasingly hollow threats, as such fines are rarely paid. British farmers are still waiting for compensation from France for the illegal French ban on British beef.

To an extent the Commission lacks the courage even to impose fines on larger member states -- Germany repeatedly flouted the Maastricht criteria, but the Commission never dared impose a fine (so far as I can remember).

My advice to DEFRA and the British government would be to say "OK. Whom are you going to send to collect?", and leave it at that.

Whatever the objectives of the EU (and sometimes it's difficult to see what they are), its actual effects are perverse, and fly in the face of common sense. That is why I believe we should be Better Off Out "( see : www.betteroffout.co.uk )

I believe the "fine" is actually in the form of the EU withholding grants that should have been paid to us rather than expecting us to send the money....doesn't give our Government the option to say we're not paying...not that our lot would!!

Dick

The EU seeks to exert control over the member-states by threatening fines. These however are increasingly hollow threats, as such fines are rarely paid. British farmers are still waiting for compensation from France for the illegal French ban on British beef.

Naivety here:

If the fines are rarely paid then why have DEFRA cut the payment to BW? (rhetorical)

I think I may have an idea :P

Edited by bottle