Possible first timer looking for advice :)

Jenza

Featured Posts

No, it really is eccentic! The paint job doesn't help, mind you, if it was all one colour it might look almost normal.

I do think that, of all the boats which Jenza has asked about, this is the one which is crying out to be loved. She would need to throw a fair few £££ at it but could end up with an attractive and distinctive craft.

No, I meant your kidding about it being from a reputable builder surely. It obviously isn't a Black Country Narrowboats boat, so who IS the builder?

MtB

Jim Shead lists lots of boat with that name but I reckon it's this one.

MORNING MIST Built by NOT KNOWN - Length 18.29 metres (60 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.71 metres (2 feet 4 inches ) Metal hull, power of 43 BHP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 506231 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 22-May-2013.

It still has quirky charm. As for the bow, I guess it's what'd below the waterline which is important.

I was more concerned about the misrepresentation.

If they are making up stuff about the builder, how many of the other details in the listing can you rely on?

MtB

I see what you mean. From memory of the Black Country adverts in the boatimags a few years ago (I think they packed up maybe 2005 or so) I can see similarities such as window style, rather flat roof, so maybe it is one of theirs.

I see what you mean. From memory of the Black Country adverts in the boatimags a few years ago (I think they packed up maybe 2005 or so) I can see similarities such as window style, rather flat roof, so maybe it is one of theirs.

I owned a BCNBs boat once. Although the steelwork was pretty rough the general shape of the hull was really nice. Very similar to those built by Orion Narrowboats at Ashwood marina. I think they were an offshoot of BCNBs. The BCNB bod died a few years back, prolly why they stopped building...

MtB

P.S. I seem to remember him packing it in about when the RCD came along. Understand able as he was not a 'paperwork' type of man!

• 4 weeks later...

If you are looking for a boat with a mooring you need to look at where is your workplace and what areas you do normally spend time at. Uxbridge seems a little far out of town. You may want to look at a little more central moorings. In the end is not only the boat you need to look at but also the location.

If you are looking for a boat with a mooring you need to look at where is your workplace and what areas you do normally spend time at. Uxbridge seems a little far out of town. You may want to look at a little more central moorings. In the end is not only the boat you need to look at but also the location.

But are the more central moorings not substantially dearer? (I'm not in London - but this is what I've gleaned)

I am not sure where Jenza works. But from Uxbridge to Baker Street on the tube (or rather the Metropolitan Line, which is not strictly a "tube") takes three quarters of an hour, with a direct service. Not too stiff a commute compared with the complicated journeys which some people undergo to get to their jobs.

hmm, thanks for that. Here is the other link again

The first one has a 6mm bottom plate.

Based on my experience, I think that is too thin. A little pitting here and there and suddenly you need out of water weld repairs.

The link above looks to be a better boat, imo. Interior looks a bit messy but you come across as a practical-minded person and I think you could readily alter the boat to your desires.

yikes enforcement action?

Also i just looked at your location! Carshalton beeches? Im curretnly just down the road in sutton! Are there many narrowboats in carshalton? I never saw a canal!

I had actually considered buying a boat then making a holliday of getting it down to wherever. Only problem i have heard that its really hard to get a mooring.

I had considered reinvesting now that the bubble collapsed. (I managed to sell at the peek ^^) I had an old computer full of bitcoins that i mined just as a curiosity, still have 10 coins that i am holding onto. Never heard of dodgecoins though...

Yes. Carshalton Pond is a favorite mooring with its own link into the River Wandle and up through to Surrey Commercial Docks and the Thames.

Ok. Not true, but woukdnt if be great?

They are. I am assuming that Uxbridge ones are expensive too?

Nope, not at all. I more at Northolt which is only about 20 mins into the city on the tube, we also have very reasonable mooring rates. There is a lot of misconceptions floating around about moorings in London.

Yes. Carshalton Pond is a favorite mooring with its own link into the River Wandle and up through to Surrey Commercial Docks and the Thames.

Ok. Not true, but woukdnt if be great?

Yes - it's only a short walk from our gaff. It's one of the sources of the Wandle which empties into father Thames at Wandsworth. I often look at the rush of water exiting the spring next to the pond and running into the pond - it's clear as it's a chalk aquifer.

Carshalton Pond

800px-Carshalton_2007_zps07748549.jpg

Edited by mark99